My 1980 dream of Camping at the Fort, Fall 2012: Pop, BWV and THE FORT! .. update: 10 years later .. Trip report is complete!

:thumbsup2
I would say no one uses those for camping.

Most tenters, if no electricity, would use propane from small bottles or, if they are die hard campers, Coleman Fuel with some sort of single or two burner stove.

And then some get one of these.

Not true.... we use emergency stoves all the time when backpack camping when we have to carry everything in. It is much more lightweight than carrying a bottle of fuel. Of course, a fueled camp stove is better, and that is our prefered method when family camping....but if space is a huge issue.... this is the way to go. If heating a large container... use more than one tablet. But... if you have electricity... an electric pot is a God send!!

My only suggestion to you (if you are cold natured) would be to insulate yourself from the air mattress. We have tent camped at WDW in October and we use air mattresses... however, the air in the mattresses will take on the air temp (of course) and your body heat is not enough to heat it. Some evening temps can get cool (atleast to me they are cool) I have tried mattress pads... etc... depending on the temps, but laying on a sleeping bag, with a sheet over it works best, in my opinion. My husband loves tent camping in the mountains in the late fall to early winter, freezing rain....... in the tent... even with a camping heater...it's cold. I've gotten lots of practice hahahaha...

:thumbsup2

Not true.... we use emergency stoves all the time when backpack camping when we have to carry everything in.

To be clear, I differentiate between tenters and backpackers. I should have said most car campers wouldn't use them.

Backpackers are a whole other breed. :thumbsup2 Though I have never used one, I have made quite a few stoves from pop (soda) cans.

Good luck with your trip! It seems like you are doing all the right planning to make sure it's successful. I can't wait to read your trip report when you return.

man, there's a lot of family storing stuff in my basement!
Here's another extremely small tent! This belongs to sister no.1
It's an instant popup... lol, I put my ThermaRest in there, it filled the tent!
Nice & cavelike inside, but really too small for any =one over 5' tall! Wee Doggie liked it tho!
1667385108275.jpeg
And this is my own, original Dining Tent: 4 side canopies can tie down, extend out, or roll up. Front & back entrances. This had seen a lot of use, but I guess it's been 10 yrs since I used it last.
I like this one. It's been up this entire week.
(See wee doggie's bed -setup. He's much neglected, lol)
1667385206185.jpeg

Last edited:

EXTENSION CORDS & HOSES.....

So, the electrical devices I'll have will be kettle/toaster, maybe a small electric frypan. And chargers for camera/phone. Small lamp/radio/fan.

What is the min length of exterior extension cord I can bring without risk of it being too short?

And what's the story on hoses/water at the site?
I've never been to a campground that had water at the site, always needed to go to a pump w/ water buckets/jugs.
I'll have a basin to use for dishes (or socks! :laundy:lol!), and I'll need water for the kettle.
Do I need to bring a hose? What if I don't?

Keep the answers and suggestions coming! Nothing like informed decision making! Thanks all!
:wave2:

EXTENSION CORDS & HOSES.....

So, the electrical devices I'll have will be kettle/toaster, maybe a small electric frypan. And chargers for camera/phone. Small lamp/radio/fan.

What is the min length of exterior extension cord I can bring without risk of it being too short?

And what's the story on hoses/water at the site?
I've never been to a campground that had water at the site, always needed to go to a pump w/ water buckets/jugs.
I'll have a basin to use for dishes (or socks! :laundy:lol!), and I'll need water for the kettle.
Do I need to bring a hose? What if I don't?

Keep the answers and suggestions coming! Nothing like informed decision making! Thanks all!
:wave2:

If you bring a hose make sure its one for RV use or potable water. Don't use the hose thats there.

Chartle, "If I bring a hose" you say..... so could I do without one? Maybe just filling the kettle at the Comfort Stations?

Chartle, "If I bring a hose" you say..... so could I do without one? Maybe just filling the kettle at the Comfort Stations?

My understanding is that at each site there is water faucet with a splitter on it. One side is for you one has a hose that CM's use to hose down the site between guests. even though I grew up drinking hose water supposedly that's a bad thing today.

I think a hose will be more hassle that its worth and take up a ton of space.

Chartle is correct. No hose needed for your setup, Foggie. :sad2:

Bama ED

Is the water with the electrical? I have not camped in quite a few years and I remember the water was out by the street. At the time we thought a hose would be nice.

Is the water with the electrical? I have not camped in quite a few years and I remember the water was out by the street. At the time we thought a hose would be nice.

chartle and foggy,

look at the pix on this DIS photo gallery.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Photos/Fort-Wilderness-Campground/cabin-campsite/index.htm

The power/water stump is in the 10th row down/4th picture to the right and 11th row down/1st picture.

Power stuff is on the upper back half.

Water is down lower.

The cable tv jack is above the power.

The green hose is permanent. I wouldn't drink any water that came out of it. That hose is used to clean the sites.

The other water spigot (that the white hose is connected to) would be the one to get drinking/cooking water out of.

The power/water/catv stump is on your sand pad back away from the road.

Bama ED

What fun tenting at Disney will be! I'm a bit late to this thread, but will be following it now. DH always says that bringing an RV isn't really camping and I totally agree. I miss our tenting days! We only just upgraded from tents 2 years ago, so it's all pretty fresh in our minds. (We tented with 5 kids 5 and under twice before we decided we'd get a pop-up.)We always say that when the kids are older we'll bring a tent and we can sleep in that when they sleep in the RV. We'll see how that works out in a few years. ;) There's nothing like going to sleep in a tent though...

Bama Ed, thanks for the visual on the electrical/ water.

But.... CABLE? Cable hookup at a campsite? And I thought it was so "non-camping" to have water/electrical at the tentsite! Cable, that takes the cake!
Watch the stars and sky, kids!
lol, but I don't mind my internet!

What fun tenting at Disney will be! I'm a bit late to this thread, but will be following it now. DH always says that bringing an RV isn't really camping and I totally agree. I miss our tenting days! We only just upgraded from tents 2 years ago, so it's all pretty fresh in our minds. (We tented with 5 kids 5 and under twice before we decided we'd get a pop-up.)We always say that when the kids are older we'll bring a tent and we can sleep in that when they sleep in the RV. We'll see how that works out in a few years. ;) There's nothing like going to sleep in a tent though...

Glad to have you along kcp1377!
I'm the youngest of 5 girls, and my parents tented with 5 of us, including 1 set of twins! And 3 of us in cloth diapers!
They gradually moved up to a popup tent camper, then a sm trailer, then a sm trailer w/ a toilet, and then built a cabin instead (by then we were 15-20yrs).
But every one of us girls owns at least 1 tent!

It's 10pm now, and I'm in the backyard in the screened Dining Tent, with 3 flaps down, Campfire lit in front of me, and a cold beer even closer in front of me! Loves wind-less summer evenings!
Sure wish I could bring this tent to the fort!:)

Here's my tentative WDW touring plan. Any comments, or suggestions? :surfweb: Nothing's cast in stone!

-I've tried to leave some leeway to switch days around in case of inclement weather.
-I have a TouringPlans Subscription and did take the anticipated park crowds into account.
-This trip I'm trying to focus on healthy active me (In Sep/Oct I have 2 half marathons, a 10miler (TOT) & a 10k event...all are to be long slow runs, except mid October is my goal run: a HALF in Toronto)
- Thinking about fitting in a park tour, or even canoeing at the fort (do they still rent canoes? What about Kayaks? Would like a bike while at the fort, but those rates!
- I’d like to notice things a park commando doesn’t. I've been reading some of those threads, they're interesting!

Tu 25: Arrive POP. Pool Time. MNSSP. Or DTD + 5k late run

We 26: AM: AK. (Brekkie: Tusker House walk-in?). PM: ?hop to MK or DTD. 5k late run if not done Tuesday.

Th 27: Move to BWV. Check out Hess. EPCOT (lunch: Le Cellier walk-in? Supper: Tangierine Cafe?).
Supermarket or Dept Store. Later: Fantasia Mini-Golf or Epcot for fireworks
(Shameful confession: I've gone to WDW 3 of the past 4 years....I've never watched Illuminations in full..). Easy steady 6-8k run if no run on Wed.

Fri 28: AM: DHS (ropedrop + SciFi for lunch). ESPN for afternoon (TOT Expo/shopping etc...plan on 3-4 hrs)
Supper & later: EPCOT or DHS.

Sat 29: Resort/Pool day. Maybe Fantasia Mini-Golf if not done Thurs.
NIGHTTIME: TOT 10 Miler & afterparty

Sun 30: Sleep in, Epson Salt bath, Recovery breakfast on Balcony. Strolling MK or Epcot or WaterPark. Afternoon nap.
PM: MNNSHP if not done yet. (Would Sunday be more crowded than, say, Tuesday?)

Mon 1: Easy 3k jog, EPCOT for Day w/ swim break mid day. (F&W. Happy Birthday Epcot!)

Tues 2: Waterpark Day. Mini golf later (Pirates or ?)

Wed 3: 3k run. MK or even Universal.

Thur 4: Move to THE FORT!! Set up Tent/ Swim/Explore Campgrounds. Poss Supermarket for more fruit/veggies.

Frid 5: Run 8k. MK (ropedrop!). Suppertime Swim at Fort.
???Evening: Boo to You! Fireworks on the beach (?Poly, The Fort, or where?????? I’d like it to be a picnic supper, with beer... Do they allow that? Where would be the better view?

Sat 6: Breakfast ADR for Trails End. Water Park.
???Evening: Movie at the Fort (when will they put out the October movies?)

Sun 7: Run 8k. Maybe Universal, or DTD or Resort day (would like to scope out OKW, Coronado, and various resorts)

Mon 8 Waterpark, or MK. If MNSSP not yet done, this is my last chance.

Tue 9 Run 6k. Breakfast out: Tonga Café or ?. Grand Floridian for Tea? DTD for last chance shopping. Please please let it not rain today or tomorrow.

Wed 10: sniff sniff, break Camp. Leave mid morning. No parks, no nothing that day. Please please let everything be dry!:beach:

Hi there fellow Canadian. I have been following your pre-trip report. We will be there Sept 24th to the 5th - Hope we run into each other.

I can answer some of your questions

Le Cellier you will need a reservation for, especially durning F&W.
Breakfast ADR for Trails End. You won't need a ADR walk up space always available.
Evening: Movie at the Fort - schedule is out usually the first couple of days of the month
Boo to You! Fireworks on the beach (?Poly, The Fort, or where?????? I’d like it to be a picnic supper, with beer... Do they allow that? Where would be the better view? - both locations are great. Picnic is no problem. Beer is actually sold at the pool bar right at the beach at the Poly, or you can bring it yourself to the Forts's beach

Glad to have you along kcp1377!
I'm the youngest of 5 girls, and my parents tented with 5 of us, including 1 set of twins! And 3 of us in cloth diapers!
They gradually moved up to a popup tent camper, then a sm trailer, then a sm trailer w/ a toilet, and then built a cabin instead (by then we were 15-20yrs).
But every one of us girls owns at least 1 tent!

How fun! We cloth diaper too, but for trips we usually just use sposies. :) I keep telling the kids that I hope they bring their kids camping when they get older - it's so good for them! I'm the oldest of 4 girls - I'm sure your parents got the same comments that mine did. :lol: It was so much fun growing up with sisters though!

We were hoping to bring our kayaks with us, but it looks like the Fort doesn't allow that. I'm hoping we can rent some when we're there! Your schedule looks great! A nice long trip!

Hi there fellow Canadian. I have been following your pre-trip report. We will be there Sept 24th to the 5th - Hope we run into each other.

I can answer some of your questions

Le Cellier you will need a reservation for, especially during F&W.
Breakfast ADR for Trails End. You won't need a ADR walk up space always available.
Evening: Movie at the Fort - schedule is out usually the first couple of days of the month
Boo to You! Fireworks on the beach (?Poly, The Fort, or where?????? I’d like it to be a picnic supper, with beer... Do they allow that? Where would be the better view? - both locations are great. Picnic is no problem. Beer is actually sold at the pool bar right at the beach at the Poly, or you can bring it yourself to the Forts's beach

Thanks, eyeoretoo!

Funny enough, last year during F&W, we ended up cancelling several of our ADRS because we managed walk ups here & there.... we waited about the same lenght of time for each ADR as we did for the Walkups!
AND! Walkups included: Le Cellier at Lunch time. Boma @ Suppertime, Nine Dragons @ Supper Time, Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at SupperTime, and Tusker House Character Breakfast (1 hr after the full finish of the Hallowe'en 5 k (I needed a cup of Tea in not-a-disposable cup).... All were amazing! I had THE BEST BURGER OF MY LIFE (excuse me while I drool) .

Can you tell I like my food? Oh, I like my food! I like to take pictures of my food!
Here's breakfast on a Dis-indulging morning:
f31ce535.jpg

That's Mickey pancakes made using the Cookie cutter (poured the batter in, and once partially cooked, lifted the cutter and poured another one (pancake that is...), a raisin/banana/ maple syrup I made.... And the placemat, made locally, is the white Newfoundland Tartan (green is traditional , not white);)
Hi :wave2:
I want to say you are a very BRAVE woman to do this, and you have my whole hearted admiration, wish i was that brave.

I also have not seen the whole of Illuminations either-shoot we /i have never even watched it just never wanted to.

your plan looks great

We will be there 9/22-9/29 in the cabins so we will miss you at the fort

oh forgot to add they still rent canoes

Ann and John
DD-26
DGD-11
DGD-2

Lol, dellasgirl: Thank you! But Brave? Or just determined?! I decided long ago that I would never be one of those silly girls who couldn't to the bathroom alone in highschool! And I've carried that thought for more than 30 years (yes, I'm shy sometimes, but generally hold my head high and bluff my way thru!)

Talk to me about waterproofing the tent......
I see there's spray on, and then there's a can of paint version.
They're both available in for-Canvas or for-synthetics (the latter is "silicone").

I know it's the Silicone one I want.
THe tent's instruction confirms that, it also says apply to the underside of the tent fly, and to the inside of the tent along the seams.

Various threads mention seam sealer that's like a bingo dabber..... I haven't noticed that around....

Am I bettter off getting the sprayon or the can of paint style one?

How long might it take to dry?:confused3
How far does a tin of spray go?:confused3
If the can of paint style is what I buy, how do I cleam my brush after?

The Darn instructions on the tin are so small, I need to remember to bring reading glasses to the store with me! (oops, showing my age there!)

I haven't seen the paint bucket type of sealer, so no help on how to use that kind. The seam sealer that I usually use is the Coleman version in the bingo daubber. The waterproofer is usually in the same section of the store in a spray can.
This is my method, others may have a different way to do it, so use what method works for you.
We generally put the tent up and use the seam sealer on ALL the seams, it can take a bit to cover all the seams depending on how big the tent is, this includes how much sealer to buy. We go through 2 of the Coleman version seamsealer for our tent. You can seal the inside and outside of the seams, but inside is all I do.
After we seam seal I go inside the tent with the waterproofer and start spraying the top and sides, I do the rainfly as well since it is already attached to the top of the tent.
Generally leave the tent up overnight to get the seam sealer and waterproofer completely dry. If you take the tent down too soon it will stick together.
We have an older tent and this is how I start our camping season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter