• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MVMCP - Is it worth the extra money?

greyslay3r

stephen
I'm on the fence about buying tickets for the 3 of us for the MVMCP in mid November. Any personal experiences either good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

With MVMCP and MNSSHP, I think it's well worth it for any Disney fan to try once.

An individual's enjoyment of either party often seems tied to their enjoyment of that holiday.

Personally, my answer would be a huge yes! But not all feel the same way.

It is all a personal preference- last year and the years before I would have said YES! But the price increase was really surprising this year and it may be the last time I do it for a while. I do enjoy MK during the parties (if the party is not sold out)... I had the best time last year and it was the most enjoyable time in MK because there were no crowds during the party we went to. I got to do everything and really take it all in. I walked on all of my favorite rides and rode them over and over. I love the christmas parade, fireworks and castle light show. If it is your first time, it may be worth doing once. The prices are really going to drive me away from it unfortunately.

Everyone should go once in order to decide for themselves.

With that said,
I've been to 4 MVMCP (2 as a guest of someone else) and 3/4 were PACKED and miserable. All were before December 16th. I waited 45 minutes at a CS for a drink. Waited 30 min in line at Cosmic Rays just to order.

The cookies and cocoa are straight out of the box . I guess for the price I had unrealistic expectations more along the line of boardwalk bakery quality goods.

It is a fun experience, but not worth the money. The lines are longer every year. The cocoa is watered down, literally, to go as far as it can and the cookies are from an offsite bakery. They are pretty generic sugar cookies made in bulk for cheap. No lie. You get more from the halloween party, but everybody who is going at that time should do it once.

It is a really tough call... We went last year and had a BLAST - but we paid with a gift card so the cost didn't hurt as much. The parade is hands-down the best parade I have seen in my life. We also enjoyed walking on several rides. We onky did one character greet (Minnie) later in the evening, so didn't encounter the massive lines if you are wanting to meet the 7 dwarfs, for example. All that being said, we're going to skip it this year. As much as I love that parade, I can't justify paying that much $$ just for a parade...

We are going this year but that is because I don't know if/when we'll actually get to Disney in December and I want to see the holiday shows. I am going with 2 two year olds, so all we want to do is get a picture of us in front of the castle with the Christmas lights (it's our first trip as a family of 4), meet Christmas Minnie and Mickey and see the parade/fireworks. Anything else will be a bonus.

I'm wondering the same thing... not meaning to hijack the thread. I last visited in 2005 when it was just my wife and I. We're taking our 7yo daughter this time around. I had no intention of spending the extra $ for the party, but then I read that it's happening on the day I chose MK (for low crowd predictions), and that they'll shoo us out at 7 without tickets. This seems unfair when you're staying on property with a MYW package and paying admission for the day.

I guess if we get there at rope drop, and they really let us stick around right up to the 7pm cutoff, that would be ok -- we'll probably be ready to drop by then anyway. But -- will we see any parade or fireworks at least?

It is a really tough call... We went last year and had a BLAST - but we paid with a gift card so the cost didn't hurt as much. The parade is hands-down the best parade I have seen in my life. We also enjoyed walking on several rides. We onky did one character greet (Minnie) later in the evening, so didn't encounter the massive lines if you are wanting to meet the 7 dwarfs, for example. All that being said, we're going to skip it this year. As much as I love that parade, I can't justify paying that much $$ just for a parade...

$75 for a parade and fireworks. NO WAY. I am with you.

I'm wondering this as well. We bought tickets for our first MNSSHP this year and from all the reports I am a bit nervous about it. But the Christmas party seems a bit less worth the cost than the Halloween party to me since there aren't very many unique characters and the Christmas parade can be viewed with a regular ticket during the Christmas season.

I'm wondering the same thing... not meaning to hijack the thread. I last visited in 2005 when it was just my wife and I. We're taking our 7yo daughter this time around. I had no intention of spending the extra $ for the party, but then I read that it's happening on the day I chose MK (for low crowd predictions), and that they'll shoo us out at 7 without tickets. This seems unfair when you're staying on property with a MYW package and paying admission for the day.

I guess if we get there at rope drop, and they really let us stick around right up to the 7pm cutoff, that would be ok -- we'll probably be ready to drop by then anyway. But -- will we see any parade or fireworks at least?

You will be gently ushered out at 7pm, the cast members do sweeps of the park & also have wristband check points to catch people who shouldn't be there.
If you want to see the fireworks, you'll get a great view from the Poly beach or the GF.
Having attended a few Christmas parties I can highly recommend them, yes they are expensive but they are great fun & the fireworks, shows & parade are fantastic.

We did MVMCP last year and I wasn't wowed by it- we had a great time, but not like we wouldn't have had a great time on a regular park night. I LOVE MNSSHP though, but we also have small kids and they LOVE to trick or treat, so we are doing our second MNSSHP this year.

I have been to 3 MVMCP in the past and have tickets to the Nov. 17 one this year. Yes, it's expensive and the price has gone up. That being said, for my family at least, its worth it. We don't get to go every year, and I think it's been three years since our last one. A few things make it worth it to me. 1)The Christmas parade-to me, one of the best. And the Main Street snow. It's just such a magical atmosphere. 2)The special shows you get to see and 3)the Christmas versions of some of the rides-like Jungle Cruise and The Country Bears. Some people don't care but I love it, cause I love Christmas :) For me, also, being able to buy merch like the MVMCP pin is a factor. I have a pin from every year we've been to it.

It just one of the special things you might splurge on once every few years. The ones we've been to haven't been super crowded except for one year. But we always go to the second parade and ride stuff while everyone is watching the first one. Even so, when its crowded, we still haven't had long waits for the rides themselves. Hope that helps a bit. :flower3:

we've enjoyed it, but that was several years ago. We only had 4 day military tickets, so slept in, swam, and did the party on non park days for us to extend our total number of days in the park.

I'm on the fence about buying tickets for the 3 of us for the MVMCP in mid November. Any personal experiences either good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

I know there are a lot of nice things listed to do at these parties. And we have done them all over the years. But I think the worth it or not worth it when all is said and done for most people boils down to this. If you are a fan of parades and fireworks shows, you will probably come away thinking it is worth it. If you are not, you'll probably come away thinking it wasn't.

Last edited:
We went to MNSSHP and MVMCP for the first time last year. The Halloween party was so awesome, not crowded, super festive. The Christmas party was very crowded, and I did not like the parade as much. I'm glad I did it once, but I won't do MVMCP again.

And everyone else thinks it is unfair and goes elsewhere that day. You'll get more done opening until 7 on most party days than you will on most regular days during the same week.

I am generally not a big parade person. I like the fireworks, but I don't stake out a spot, and will just watch them wherever I happen to be at the time. But with the parties, because what you get to see is unique, I usually make an exception and watch both the parade and the fireworks. I do like shows, but my son who is autistic will generally not sit through a show, so we don't do them.

I don't completely disagree, but I think there is merit even if you don't like parades and shows. I think one of the most magical experiences is standing at the end of Main Street, after the parade and the snow is falling and the music is being piped in. I don't think I'd do it every year, but if you've never done it, you should try it once and decide for yourself if you think its worth it...Its for sure worth it at least once.

Hijacking instead of starting a new thread...

People keep saying sold out parties are super crowded. Can someone try to quantify it? Like a "9" day on an easywdw calendars? Spring break crowds? Summer crowds? Is it more crowded than mid day at MK?

We are going November 13. According to TP that date has never sold out (though I don't put much faith in that).

Are most people doing the big rides and things you can't do otherwise? I'd love to see the 7 dwarves but don't plan on waiting in a long line. How long are Mickey lines? Princesses with their princes?

I just have no idea what to expect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter