Must-Sees?

Rose DiVerona

Time to be movin' along...
Hi, everyone!

My best friend and I are headed to Disneyland/California Adventure for a day in August! Neither of us has been before, but I'm a WDW "veteran," with 15 trips to the World under my belt. I have no idea what to expect from DL. I know it's a lot different from WDW, but that many of the rides are the same, or similar, to those in Florida.

So my question is: what are the must-sees? The things you absolutely can't miss in DL? Keep in mind that we are both 21 so we won't need to linger over Dumbo or the other "kiddie" rides. We just want to make the most of our day with minimal park hopping.

We will be spending a night in Disney lodging, so we will be able to use FP and EMH.

Thanks!

If you are interested in things other than riding attractions, don't miss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies--it's our favorite:thumbsup2!

Agree on the DLR for WDW vets thread...it has almost all the info you will need. Also, don't worry about park hopping...it is literally 5 minutes from gate to gate - walking really slow. It almost takes longer to walk from the bag check on one side of the esplanade to the other with small kids in tow.

I concur that the "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" is a good place to start. As someone who's gone to both parks a lot, these would be my "must-do" lists if you want to minimize similiar rides.

DLR:
  • Matterhorn - very rough, but lots of fun and an unique ride to DL.
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster - similar ride in concept, but the DL version has removable guns and the triggers are easier to pull.
  • Space Mountain - kind of rougher than MK, but still a fun ride. Be sure to get a FP because the line can be long and much of the standby queue is in the sun.
  • Small World - I know a "kiddie" ride, but I love this version. If nothing else, it's worth looking at the building.
  • Mr. Toad - another "kiddie" ride, but it's now unique to DL.
  • Indy Jones - unique to DL and a very good ride (detailed story and a fun queue even through you don't spend much time in it anymore because of FP).
  • Pirates - similar elements to MK, but the "cursed treasure" sequence is much longer and there are more drops.

There are other good rides at DL, but they're pretty similar to their counter parts at WDW (e.g., Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder).

DCA:
  • Radiator Springs Racers - my favorite ride in DCA and unique to DCA. Actually, everything in Carsland is unique to DCA!
  • Screamin' - the only coaster in DLR that goes upside down

There are other good rides at DCA, but they're pretty similar to their counter parts at WDW (e.g., Soarin', Tower of Terror, TSM, Little Mermaid, Muppets).

In terms of shows:
  • Fantasmic - the seating is better at DHS, but the show is much better at DL. Malificent is much more impressive, as is the Peter Pan sequence (not at DHS). The use of the Mark Twain (similar boat to the Liberty Belle at MK) at the end is much more impressive.
  • WOC - Unique to DCA. Not my favorite, but pretty popular.
  • Fireworks - Dumbo flies during Magical (along with Tinkerbell).

Other notes:
  • Unlike WDW, DLR and DCA are across from each other (DTD is right by the parks as well). They're about a football field apart from each other, so park hopping is much easier. Unless the lines to get in are really long, you won't lose that much time to park hopping.
  • You don't need to make ADRs are much as at WDW. You still can (and I recommend it if you have a specific place you want to eat at a specific time). Reservation open 60-days in advance. Unlike WDW, there aren't as many places to eat at DLR.
  • Like WDW, DLR is now strictly enforcing FP return times.

Have lots of fun!

In addition to the obvious, we must do Animation Academy every time now. If you aren't familiar with it, it is in DCA, and they do like 20-30 minute sessions, teaching you how to draw the various Disney characters. They post a schedule for the day, so if you have a favorite character you can see when they are drawing it and plan to go back. It's a cool place in doors where you can sit, and then you end up with a free souvenir when you're done :thumbsup2

A couple of comments on an earlier reply:
Space Mountain is smoother and better at DLR.
Matterhorn is not THAT rough
POTC is twice as long and WAY better than the MK version.
Ride the train! Much more to see. PLUS the Grand Canyon and Primeval World are Walt Disney originals.
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is another Walt Disney original.
You also have to eat at the Blue Bayou and get a table on the water.
Only 1 day? You won't see everything, and you're gonna be busy.
Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter