• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must Sees in Washington DC

SplashMo

DIS Veteran
We will be working in Wash DC for two weeks. However we will have one full day to play as well as 2-3 evenings and possible a half day.

What would you see and do? I have only been to WDW on the east coast...

We will be working in Wash DC for two weeks. However we will have one full day to play as well as 2-3 evenings and possible a half day.

With only one full day, I would just hang around the Mall and check out the museums (American History, Natural History, Air & Space Museum) and monuments (Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial). If you want to go into the Washington Monument, you'll need tickets. You can also get tickets for a tour of the Capitol. I'm not sure if they ever reopened the White House for tours since 9/11. If walking isn't your thing (the Mall is huge) you can buy an all-day pass for the Tourmobile at Union Station. It's a tram that stops in front of all the tourist attractions. You can get on and off all day.

With only one full day, I would just hang around the Mall and check out the museums (American History, Natural History, Air & Space Museum) and monuments (Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial). If you want to go into the Washington Monument, you'll need tickets. You can also get tickets for a tour of the Capitol. I'm not sure if they ever reopened the White House for tours since 9/11. If walking isn't your thing (the Mall is huge) you can buy an all-day pass for the Tourmobile at Union Station. It's a tram that stops in front of all the tourist attractions. You can get on and off all day.

:thumbsup2

Great suggestions. with only 1 day you want to try and get in as much as you can without having to go to too many different areas.

We were there a year ago in March - I was in town for a conference and DH and the kids played tourist. We really enjoyed the Old Town Trolley tour and took it twice during our one week visit. We spent four hours at the Holocaust Museum and it was memorable. One of my favorite museums is the Smithsonian's Museum of American History...as a collector myself, I was stunned at the items they have on display.

Really good list already! Totally agree about the museum of Natural History, we finally made it to the second floor on our fourth visit ten days ago, and I was floored by how much there is. The rocks and gems are mind boggling and they had a whole section on a recently discovered 1600's settlement in Maryland that was fascinating. Really liked the Native American museum too, but at times found the organization confusing - still lots of cool stuff, I just didn't leave with a clear picture of the past and present knowledge like you do with the Air and Space or American History. This may be on purpose, since there are actually many, many cultures - maybe that is the point. The building is beautiful in itself, even if you only have time to see the exterior and hop inside for a couple of minutes.

The only thing that I really had to add was that I found seeing the monuments at night to be the memory I will never forget, particularly the Lincoln. If you can swing it, I'd really try to see them at night. Hope the cherry blossoms and tulips are blooming when you visit - we loved that a few years ago!

I HIGHLY recommend TourMobile. I lived just outside of DC for a few years and everytime someone came down to visit we would go on TourMobile. It hits almost all of the must-do attractions and you can get on and off all day at your own pace. http://www.tourmobile.com/

My favorites:
Smithsonian museums
National Zoo
Ford Theater
Arlington Cemetery
WWII memorial
Washington Monument (I believe that you need to get tickets ahead of time)
FDR memorial
Lincoln Memorial

Mount Vernon is my other favorite tourist stop http://www.mountvernon.org/

When will you be there? DC is in the Spring is gorgeous. Will you be there for the beautiful Cherry Blossoms?

My favorites were:

Tour at night with all buildings lit (Capital, WH, all the Memorials)
Arlington National Cemetary and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Lincoln Memorial
Vietnam Memorial
American History Smithsonian Institute

Any of the Smithsonian locations is well worth your time. My favorites are American History and Natural History. If you have art lovers in your group, The National Gallery is a do not miss. Have fun! :thumbsup2

I forgot to mention the National Zoo. If you are there on a cold, rainy day (like we were), you may have the Giant Pandas all to yourselves! They were inside and we were the only visitors at their enclosure for at least 20 minutes. They were right up against the glass and 10 times more adorable "in person" than I could have imagined.

Thanks You!!!!

We will be there in June....

Is seeign the White House Possible/ worth it?

Yes touring the white house is possible. Contact your congress representative for tickets. Usually need about 6 months, but doesn't hurt to try. You can also request the Capitol tour, Pentagon tour, and more.....

This can be done online.

My favorite place is The Newseum, the museum of news. It isn't part of the Smithsonian, so there is a fee, but well worth the charge.

At night try to see what is at The Kennedy Center.

We were there last June and were unable to get tickets to the White House. We went through our senator, but it's a hot ticket and they had nothing available for the week that we were there (1st week in June). I think the request was put in about this time last year. We also had 9 people though so that may have been part of the problem. We did have to fill out an application with SS# and address etc so we joked that someone didn't pass the background check. They do have a visitors center across the street from the Willard that anyone can walk into.

The senator's office was able to get us tours of the Capitol, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and the Library of Congress. If they make the reservations for you though check the email carefully. My mom was in charge and so busy in the weeks leading up that no one noticed that our Library trip and Bureau of E&P trip were at the same time. So we skipped the library. I haven't decided if I regret that. I enjoyed the tour we did, but I am a library person and I think it would have been amazing.

Also, a little off the beaten path is the Folger Library (not a part of the Smithsonian) which houses the world's largest collection of Shakepeare's first folios--which are not on display, but if you like old books, they usually have a very nice display.

The Bureau of Archives is interesting in that you actually "See" the documents so important to our country. Yes, it is thru layers of bullet proof glass and security systems, and behind a rope, but pretty cool none the less. It is part of Smithsonian, so free.

The National Gallery is also such a great place to spend a day.

The obvious is go see some of the museums. Free and pretty fabulous. And many right there on the Mall.

Spend an evening touring the monuments. The Jefferson at night is well lit with an awesome view and there's usually nearby parking at night. Sit on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and gaze at the Reflecting Pool towards the Washington Monument. Stroll along the Wall and read a few names - the impact is powerful to many people.

Check out ticketmaster for events. The Kennedy Center, DAR hall and many other venues may have some production that interests you.

Are you looking to play? Or to sightsee?

I am usually one to recommend a Tourmobile type thing, but for DC, if you just want to hit a few museums on the Mall, you don't need it, as it would take most of your one full day.
I'd do it if I were just getting a taste and planning on a trip back. It's just expensive when you can do so much for free so easily.

We are going to DC in 6 weeks. From everything I have read it says to not go out at night. Are the monuments etc safe at night?

The view from the top of the Washington Monument is great. If you get your tickets online you can choose your time. They only charge I think $2 for convenience charge.

If you are trying to get a look at all the monuments and at least see (if not tour) the White House and Capitol, Tourmobile is great. It stops from place to place. You can look and hop back on. Great way to check off a lot of monuments without wearing out your feet. Some of them go across to Arlington too.

Our favorite Smithsonian museums are - American History, Natural History and Air & Space. You could easily spend a day or more at each.

With your time frame you really will have to consider whether you want an overall tour of several things or a thorough tour of only 1 or 2.

Enjoy your trip.

We are going to DC in 6 weeks. From everything I have read it says to not go out at night. Are the monuments etc safe at night?

I have lived in the DC area for 28 years and have never had problems in that part of DC at night. Where the monuments and museums are is the nice part of town. DH and I have even done midnight walks at the War Memorials (WWII and Vietnam).

I wouldn't wander all over DC at night, but that part of town is pretty safe, just remember you are in a major city be aware of your surroundings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter