Must have baby items for 1st time parent

Congratulations!

There are a lot of good responses here. In general, I agree that every baby is different and you need to do what's right for you and your baby.

There were two things that I had and was so glad I did. First, waterproof pads. We placed one under the crib sheet. This protected the crib mattress. When baby has a diaper incident at 3 am in the morning, the last thing you want to do is clean. The waterproof pad saved us from having to pull everything out. We just changed the crib sheet and was done. Second, a baby bottle brush with a sponge head, not a bristle head. This allows for better cleaning of the bottles.

I agree with a lot of the suggested items too.

The #1 item that I ALWAYS suggest: an umbrella stroller. Spend a bit more and get nice one. You will use it FOR YEARS! We still haul ours out for WDW and our son is 5 years old. It has been tossed around by airlines and Amtrak all over the country and it still looks like new!

Umbrella strollers are small so they don't take up the whole back of your car/van and they are easy to maneuver around malls and, most importantly, WDW!!!! :cool1:

Seriously, a $10 one is fine but they don't recline for small babies or naptime and they don't have a sunshade. Spend the extra money for a good quality one that can withstand anything. You will not regret a single penny spend on it!

(May I suggest a MacClaren...)

There have been several good suggestions here. Here are mine:
1. I, too, liked the open bottom gowns. But only for one DS. The other one was way too hot and sweaty for them. The other DS slept swaddled in a onesie.
2. And I didn't get one of those velcro swaddlers. You can accomplish the same thing with a blanket (I liked the Gerber waffle weave ones the best for this because they had the best stretch, and DS5 needed a really tight swaddle or he'd escape and wake up screaming).
3. My grandmother made us several flannel receiving blankets (which are nothing like the thin, cheap ones from the store), and we used those quite a bit with both boys. They worked well for swaddling DS7, and they were easy to tuck in around the kids in their car seats. Oh, and they were big enough to use as play mats on the floor.
4. We had a swing and a bouncy seat. One of the boys liked the swing, and one the seat, so I'd wait and try the baby out in both before you buy either. DS7 would only go to sleep in his bouncy (his dad used this almost exclusively), and DS5 hated the bouncy seat; he would try to throw himself out of it. :scared1:
5. Diaper disposal systems are a waste of $. I just used a trash can with a lid on it and Lysoled it when I changed the bag.
6. Baby Bjorn...LOVED it. We used it for both boys and it was easier to deal with than the stroller. We eventually bought a stroller when the kids were 2-3, but we never used it much. It was an umbrella stroller (a nice one with a lid), and I think we only used it once or twice.
7. It depends on what kind of house you live in whether you need a monitor or not. When DS7 was a baby, we lived in a loft (think no walls), so it was stupid. By the time DS5 came, we had moved into a 3 story house, so it was nice to have one if I was in the basement doing laundry or whatever. I just put it on the counter in the kitchen and could hear it anywhere in the house.
8. Bottles: I was seduced into the Dr. Brown ones. I used these exclusively for DS7 (there were issues that made breastfeeding impossible, unfortunately). These were a PITA. If I had it to do over, I'd use the Playtex nursers with disposable liners. Or at least something with less parts inside. Cleaning these were a beast.
9. Baby laundry detergent: If you have a HE washing machine, you probably really don't need this. It's expensive, and all the soap rinses out in a HE washer, so just use regular detergent if it doesn't bother the baby.
10. Baby Beds: Most crib mattresses are covered in a water resistant or water proof cover. You might want a mattress pad to keep the baby off the plastic-y mattress, but you probably don't need a water proof mattress pad. For sheets, the simpler the better. Sure, all that baby bedding is cute...until you have to wash barf out of it.
11. Final thought: Any item you buy that has "baby" in the name (think dresser,etc) is going to be twice as expensive than a "regular" one. Just get the regular one. They hold more clothes, and you'll be able to use it longer. And changing tables are useless. Most of them have a relatively low weight limit, and they don't really hold clothes or anything in any kind of organized fashion. We used a lidded basket and a nice spot on the floor or the bed. We had a waterproof pad for the bed.
Congratulations and good luck. :goodvibes

I want to second the Fisher Price Rock n' Play, it was THE BEST! We used this from 6 weeks until about 4 months when our son slept in our room, and it was great. As the other poster who recommended this said, if your baby has reflux it is a life saver. It is approved for overnight sleep and keep the baby in an upright yet comfortable position.

The other great thing about it is that you can bring it with you when you visit people's houses so you always have somewhere comfortable for the baby to hang out. It folds flat so it doesn't take up much room.

I reccommend this items to all expectant moms I know :goodvibes

As a P.S. I would take the advise on just getting a snap and go and a really good umbrella stroller. We got a travel system, and now I am regretting that decision. My son is almost 10 months old and we are looking to get one, since we barely use the travel system stroller since it is so heavy!

If the car seat/infant carrier you select has a stroller frame for it (not a travel system) I'd get that. We have a Chicco Keyfit30 car seat and got the stroller frame for it, it was awesome! We didn't have to lug the car seat everywhere, just lift it out of the car seat base and click it into the stroller base, DD never even woke up most of the time. And the stroller folded down in about 2 seconds and easily fit into our trunk. On bad weather days we could have LO out of the stroller, into the car, stroller folded down and in the trunk and the two adults back into the car in less than 10 seconds.

This is the stroller fram I'm talking about

pTRU1-10711849t130.jpg

You just click the car seat into it

pTRU1-4884770th.jpg

I don't know if they still make them, but we had a single snap and go for the singletons, and a double for the twins, and you could use most infant carseats (I prefered graco). Stroller systems are a waste of money - the strollers are just too bulky.

I also recommend the Snap n Go or the Graco stroller frame. I think the travel systems are bulky and everyone I know that has one hates it. We used our Snap n Go until we stopped using the infant carseat. Now we use the City Mini if we need a stroller, but I usually just wear her everywhere in my ring sling or Ergo. I do need to take the advice on this thread and get an umbrella stroller!

I LOVE/LOVED my Graco travel system stroller!!!!!!! Before I got mine I researched them a lot because I always heard my friend complaining about hers and got the graco metrolite travel system. We still use the stroller a lot and even take it on Disney trip... It's not as wide or bulky as other travel system strollers. Also even tho I would love a stroller that folds smaller now that she is older I can not find one that ways the same or less than the graco which is 14 pounds.

So far our must haves:

Bouncy seat (ours vibrates and plays music, DD loves it so much we bought a second one of exactly the same seat off a group on FB)
Receiving Blankets - tons and tons of these! DD is a spitter-upper and we use receiving blankets for everything from swaddling to burp clothes to covering her seat/swing so it doesn't get covered in spit up
Rock N Play Sleeper - a true must have for any baby with reflux. IMHO more practical and half the price of the nap nanny
Cloth Diapers - see comment regarding receiving blankets
Beco - almost all babies love to be carried in a good quality, comfortable baby carrier. I am a big fan of the beco but some ring slings (like the ones from http://www.sleepingbaby.net/) and wraps (like a Moby) are great too. Bjorns and seven slings are not highly recommended in the baby wearing community
A good quality car seat - If your child will be riding in a car a good quality car seat is a must! Essentially all car seats meet the same safety requirements, just make sure you are buying a seat that is not expired and has never been in a accident (this is an item that it is really best to buy new, not used) and is the proper seat for the size/age of your child
Snot sucker - I love the one made by little noses

I received an entire drawer full of the open bottom sleeper gowns for DD. We couldn't use them for her in the first few weeks because her arm was broken and in a cast (couldn't put anything on over her head), we did have one that buttoned up the front that we used a few times. DD wiggles too much and manages to wiggle the gown all the way up to her waist. She pretty much lives in footed sleepers when we are home. Skip the "cute" outfits and go for practical onesies and pants and socks. One cute outfit per size is plenty.

Oh and shoes... DD has over 20 pairs of shoes in her closet right now (all hand me downs and gifts). She is almost 4 months old and she has still never worn any of them. They are all too big and babies really don't need shoes. Go for socks :thumbsup2

Totally agree about the shoes- my son didn't wear shoes ever until he was walking at 13 months and my daughter is 6 months now and has also never once worn shoes! They are cute, but a waste!

I bought the Rock and Play sleeper based on many many reccomendations. Apparently, my daughter is the only baby on the planet who hated this thing. She would lay in it long enough for me to use the bathroom, that was it. She slept in our arms the first 4 weeks and finally took to the swaddle after that! Both of my kids were "never put me down or I will scream kids" my son was way worse than my daughter, but he had reflux and colic, she just has the reflux. But, I easily sold it to a friend who reported her baby loves it!

My DH and I were just talking about what the 3 must haves for us were with our DS. We were both FTP so we had no idea. Ours were the following:

Angle Care Motion Pad and Monitor(This to me is the best thing on the market for babies) I think someone on the first page also said it. It will beep when the baby stops breathing. I can't tell you how much better I slept having this. I dont know why they do not make this more know to parents.

Swing-He slept in it the first 2 months and it was great. He loved and slept so much better. The first night we brought him home and tried to have him sleep in his crib it was a nightmare. We then tried the swing the next night and from then out he slept outstanding and only woke up one time every night(I am blessed with a great sleeper)

Woombie- This is a type of swaddle sleeper. It was great! It was VERY easy to use, but gave my DH some room to move and understand his feet and arms for himself

Hope this helps!!!

I think everyone already listed most of my must-haves but I just have to give one tip.
When choosing a carseat don't forget to look for one that has these features:
1. Cover easily removable for washing
2. Cover machine washable or at least easily washable by hand if you don't care for machine washing.
3. Seat doesn't have too many crevices where yucky liquids (ie. spits, vomits) could get into and be difficult to clean.
4. Seat belts/buckle easily adjustable
5. Seat belts/buckle snaps/unsnap easily
6. Size of your car makes a huge difference on which type of carseat can fit in. So do your research.

Good luck and congrats!

I think everyone already listed most of my must-haves but I just have to give one tip.
When choosing a carseat don't forget to look for one that has these features:
1. Cover easily removable for washing
2. Cover machine washable or at least easily washable by hand if you don't care for machine washing.
3. Seat doesn't have too many crevices where yucky liquids (ie. spits, vomits) could get into and be difficult to clean.
4. Seat belts/buckle easily adjustable
5. Seat belts/buckle snaps/unsnap easily
6. Size of your car makes a huge difference on which type of carseat can fit in. So do your research.

Good luck and congrats!
Don't skimp on the car seat in any way.

When my oldest was 9 months old, we were the middle car in a "sandwich wreck" -- my car was totalled. In that split second when I realized it was going to happen and I knew that I could not avoid it, the last thought that went through my mind wasn't about my safety or the value of the car. My last thought was that my baby was properly locked into a quality car seat. I had to kick the passenger door open to get out, and her car seat was damaged, but she was completely unharmed.

The very next day I bought an identical Century-brand car seat, and I have never owned anything else.

* bouncy seat: I prefer the one with the vibrations because it can help with gas.
* meds: gas drops, gripe water, tylenol, hylands teething tablets
* Chamomile tea: once I intro'ed the sippy cup, I would put iced chamomile tea in it for DD (DS didn't like it) and it would help her when teething.
* toddler eating stuff -- happens sooner than you think! Long-handled spoons, bowls and sectioned plates and sippies (Nuby soft-spout (handled or not) are an awesome one to start with).
* cloth diapers for burp cloths
* aquaphor
* Triple Paste -- this cures all diaper rashes. Expensive but so worth it.
* wipes
* diapers
* socks
* Robeez (6 mo or bigger)
* temporal thermometer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter