• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MUST go in July or August

MindyLuvsMickey

DIS Veteran
We have a great little vacation planned for the first week in September. ADRs are already booked, but now we have to change our plans.

Our only options are to go in July sometime or in very early August.

Give it to me straigt!

I know it will be miserable hot, but we are willing to brave the heat. How are the crowds going to be? Are we going to be fighting with a million people to see everything?

We can make the most of FastPass and are early risers, so it won't be an issue getting to the parks early.

went the first week of august last year. and it was brutally hot. that being said, we all had a good attitude, and the heat seemed bearable, since we decided ahead of time that we werent going to let it get us down. this was my first time going during a "busy" time. one thing i learned is that am emh is not all it is cracked up to be at this time. i think every single person staying onsite decides to get up early and beat the heat and go to the am emh park. they were as busy as i can remember. we went to mgm once at 9, when epcot has am emh, and the park was deserted. walked on rnr and tot numerous times. some in our family went to epcot that day, and it was wall to wall people right away. something to think about.

we have been in both July and August and it was hot but not unbearably hot. Plan accordingly and you will be fine.

As for the EMH, we had no problems with crowds and enjoyed ourselves tremendously.

Thanks for the input.

DH is going to check what vacation days he can get in July or August. We'll just roll the dice and see how it goes.

How bad could it be? We'll be at Disney World!!

Ok yes it will be very, very hot but I say try for Aug. The crowd levels in my experience have been much less than July. Now even though it is hot you can avoid being cooked. Just try to schedule hotel breaks during the day- heat the pool or take a cat nap, and do the parks in the morning and evening. Stay hydrated, bring sunscreen and wear clool clothes like shorts and tees. The nice thing is the parks are open later so that is a plus:thumbsup2

Ok, as you can see from my trip record, we always go in the summer months, July or August. We love it!!! Yes it is hot, but all the rides are air conditioned, the stores as well. Make sure you have plenty of water and my favorite, a spray bottle of water or fan. We always go back to the hotel in the afternoon, and we LOVE to stay late at the parks, close them to be exact. It is a great time late at night. Love those Magic Hours at night also. You are right, It is wdw....who cares about anything except you are there.....have fun!:yay:

I'm a teacher and have to go in the summer. We have a great time. We are used to the heat though since we live in TX. You will have a great time!

Monica

People always panic we go Aug or July plenty of times. Go early use FP and drink plenty of water and you will be fine.:thumbsup2

You know those days in the summer when it is opressively humid and so hot you don't even want to move? In Ohio, we get a couple every four or five years.

That's what it is like in Orlando around eight o'clock in the morning. It gets much, much worse by noon.

Add to it a gazillion people (all in iffy to bad moods thanks to the weather) crammed into one place, hurrying to get somewhere, stopping to look at maps, etc.

The weather is oppressive. The crowds are oppressive. You can't see your surroundings because there are too many bodies in the way. But that doesn't matter, because all you really care about is getting into a ride with air conditioning.

You say, "I'm so happy to be at WDW! I'm not going to let this heat or all the people ruin my fun! I'm going to have a positive attitude NO MATTER WHAT!" But at some point it wears you down. And the people you're with start getting on your nerves. You find yourself saying, "Okay, you're hot! I'm hot, too! See that woman? She's hot! We're ALL hot! Complaining about it helps nothing! I know you're hot, you don't have to tell me again!" This is brought up for years and you have to apologize for it so many times that you want to say something else that isn't nice.

You have to shower and change clothes during your mid-day break because you feel so skanky. Then you go back out and after 2 minutes are wondering why you bothered.

At some point, you will promise yourself that you'll never go back to WDW in the summer because you might as well have stayed home, you aren't having fun.

Oh, and it rains. Sometime between 3:00 p.m. and 7:00, the rain will start. It falls for hours. The folks who say, "It only rains for 20 minutes!" are totally full of it.

...then one day you'll decide it wasn't that bad. It is Disney, after all. A bad day at Disney is better than a good day at home. You go in the summer again. And it isn't as bad as you remembered...it's worse. Hot, hot, hot. Too many people. No fun.

Then you swear off summer for life.

That's my experience, anyway. Hope yours is better! :)

You know those days in the summer when it is opressively humid and so hot you don't even want to move? In Ohio, we get a couple every four or five years.

That's what it is like in Orlando around eight o'clock in the morning. It gets much, much worse by noon.

Add to it a gazillion people (all in iffy to bad moods thanks to the weather) crammed into one place, hurrying to get somewhere, stopping to look at maps, etc.

The weather is oppressive. The crowds are oppressive. You can't see your surroundings because there are too many bodies in the way. But that doesn't matter, because all you really care about is getting into a ride with air conditioning.

You say, "I'm so happy to be at WDW! I'm not going to let this heat or all the people ruin my fun! I'm going to have a positive attitude NO MATTER WHAT!" But at some point it wears you down. And the people you're with start getting on your nerves. You find yourself saying, "Okay, you're hot! I'm hot, too! See that woman? She's hot! We're ALL hot! Complaining about it helps nothing! I know you're hot, you don't have to tell me again!" This is brought up for years and you have to apologize for it so many times that you want to say something else that isn't nice.

You have to shower and change clothes during your mid-day break because you feel so skanky. Then you go back out and after 2 minutes are wondering why you bothered.

At some point, you will promise yourself that you'll never go back to WDW in the summer because you might as well have stayed home, you aren't having fun.

Oh, and it rains. Sometime between 3:00 p.m. and 7:00, the rain will start. It falls for hours. The folks who say, "It only rains for 20 minutes!" are totally full of it.

...then one day you'll decide it wasn't that bad. It is Disney, after all. A bad day at Disney is better than a good day at home. You go in the summer again. And it isn't as bad as you remembered...it's worse. Hot, hot, hot. Too many people. No fun.

Sorry, I don't agree and I'm not full of it. I can honestly say in the two summer trips we have taken, it hasn't rained for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time and that happened only a couple of days.

I do agree that the humidity is high but if a family from the great white north can handle it, I'm sure you can.

I"m a welder in a factory its about 100 degrees,no air ,i dont think I'd even give july or August a second thought I'd rather be hot there than at work..Have fun!

hubby and i went last august , it was hot but bearable, go early leave mid day , swimm for awhile relax, head back at night. just remember to stay hydrated. we are going again this august. yeah we are nuts:laughing:

:lmao:
okay that was freaking funny. We are such crybabies that we wont even go back in early September now! My DH was the grouchy guy you just wrote about. He said we could go back again, but never in September. I can only imagine if I took him in July.....

All kidding aside -- Have a great trip! Seriously, I am sure you will have a fantastic vacation!

Drinking a lot of water (Especially if you are not used to the heat) is probably the #1 thing to remember during the summer months. Nothing will take the fun out of a trip more than having the kids start getting sick from dehydration or heat exhaustion (Saw it a lot on my trip to DLR last August). Water bottles are the same price as soda in the parks so you may want to pick up a case (or two) of bottled water out in town before starting (If you have a way to get out in town that is. It's easier to do at DLR) and bring a bunch with you every day. Try to avoid soda as much as possible since it will speed up dehydration.

Personally, I like the heat and lines don't bother me much. I also prefer the longer Park hours so Summer is actually my preferred time to go. :)

I couldn't agree more. We went last August and will never do it again. We do Tour Guide Mike, so we were "OK", but the heat was more than any of us could stand...and the people...OH THE HUMANITY!!!! Of course, we love WDW, so we managed to enjoy ourselves. But, assuming there's another option, never ever ever ever in August again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter