Must do's in Canada!

Thanks for coming to Canada for your vacation.

Here a few quick suggestions:

-If your guys are into American Chopper, then perhaps they like Dream Car Garage too. This is taped at Legendary Motor Car in Milton, Ontario. Located just 5 minutes off the 401 highway, you can see the set for the show, view a couple dozen classic cars (Hemi Cudas, Mustangs, Corvettes etc.). If you happen to be there on a Saturday you can take a garage tour which is great for car buffs. I can't link but check out "legendarymotorcar(dot)com"

-Agree with others that Six Flags Darien Lake would be a fun stop seeing as you're RV'ing you can camp right there. They have a concert venue there and some top acts play there during summer. A small, intimate park that you'll have fun at without wearing yourself out. My kids love the Batman stunt show there.

-Depending on when in July you're in Toronto, the Toronto Indy takes place on the streets of the city in early/mid July

-As mentioned before, lots to see and do in Niagara Falls

-If you're into baseball, check out a Blue Jays game at the Skydome (sorry Rogers, will always be Skydome to me). While there check out the CN tower next door.

I'll add more as I have time. Hope these are helpful.

If you are not afraid of heights, go to the CN Tower - tallest free standing structure in the world! Go on a clear day.

If your children are into hockey, the Hockey Hall of Fame is a 10 minute walk east of the CN Tower. You will pass the historic Union Station and Royal York Hotel along the way.

If you are into shopping the Eaton Centre is along the subway line Dundas station or about a 10 minute walk north of the Hockey Hall of Fame. Mr. Greenjeans is a good restaurant in the Eaton Centre.

Toronto is great. Clean and safe!

I just want to chime in about Marineland.

Seaworld, it's not. BUT my kids 7 and 10 love it there! (sorry guys...)
So I don't want to deter the OP if their kids really want to go there. We used to visit every summer when we lived in the States. Now the kids ask to go back every year!

They really enjoy the rides. It's a lot of walking but didn't find it particularly dirty. They liked seeing the whales and feeding the bears. And, the marine shows are OK. I'd say it's worth a trip.

I hate to say it, but my kids prefer Marineland to African Lion Safari (even though worth a trip) as we have been to both many times.

For the OP - it's kind of like comparing Canada's Wonderland to Disney World. There is no comparison, but each fits a purpose.

Other things:

Try to spend a few days in Toronto. There is a lot to see and do.

Niagara Falls - same here. This is a must see and you can do Marineland while there. Don't miss Maid of the Mist and Jetboats.

When driving towards Toronto from Niagara Falls - take the route to Niagara-on-the-Lake. It's a very interesting and pretty town. The Fort (don't remember the name) is interesting for the kids if they enjoy History.

If you haven't ever been through locks - you might want to check out The Welland Canal. Here is a link: http://www.infoniagara.com/d-att-canal.html It's on the way from Niagara to Toronto. I believe you can do a day long cruise through the canal.

Frankenmuth, MI is worth a stop. Also if you are in the area a day trip to Mackinaw Island is also worth a look. http://www.mackinac.com/

Enjoy your trip, and when in Canada don't forget to try our local "hot spot" restaurants: Tim Horton's (coffee donut shop) You haven't experienced Canada if you haven't gone to Timmies! Also Harvey's hamburger's (fast food)for good hamburgers and poutine!!

-Niagara Falls is a great tourist spot. Lots of walking as well as things to see and do. (See the waterfall, go on the maid of the mist, butterfly conservatory-somewhat small but butterfly's fly around freely, etc.)

-MarineLand--went there last summer, the place was okay. You do get to feed the whales but be prepared to pay money for it and you only get to spend only a couple minutes with them....at least we did.

-Canada's Wonderland is great in Toronto. Lots of rides for teenagers and young ones too. I loved going there when i was a kid and still do.

-Toronto Zoo is great. Again lots of walking, it's a big place and lots of animals to see.

-African Lion Safari- I remember liking it when i was a kid but we went on an end of the school year trip in grade 8 and i remember thinking i didn't like the place anymore--i outgrew it

-Darien Lake(U.S.)--didn't really like it there, Paramount Canada's Wonderland is much better.

-Eaton's Centre-great place for shopping in Toronto

-Ontario Place (Toronto)--fun place for kids, it's on the lake too

--Science Centre (Toronto)--went a few months ago because body worlds was there which is now gone..that was a great exhibit..however the actual science centre seems very outdated. Exhibits still exsisted from when i was a kid (over ten years ago).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for replies. We have already got a lot of these places mapped on google earth. As for Timmies we are already big fans as when my mother goes (every year) we have it posted over.

The Fort in Niagara-on-the-Lake is Ft. George National Historic Site -- War of 1812 fort, nice play to spend part of the day, a great place to work.

African Lion Safari in Rockton, Ontario is larger than Animal Kingdom and has more species of animals there -- including North America's largest herd of Asian elephants. It may not be as slick looking as DAK, but it's a wonderful place to visit.

I would rethink the Marineland trip also, you are much better off to go to Canada's Wonderland although if you aren't into a lot of rides that wouldn't be so great either.

I live just outside of Niagara Falls and although I haven't been to Marineland for about 5 years or so, it is nothing to write home about. It is definately not on the WDW scale or even close.

The falls and area are a must see of course, the kids would probably enjoy the Clifton Hill area also in Niagara Falls.

There is so much to see and do that two weeks will barely scratch the surface. Hope you have a good time!

If you are planning on driving up to the Soo (Sault Ste Marie) you might want to consider taking a scenic route - we like going up through Tobermory, take the CheCheMan (sp?) to Manitoulin Island, drive through to Sudbury (where you could go to Science North and Dynamic Earth) and then on to the Soo.

Also - there is a ticket you can buy which is good for entrance to multiple tourist stuff in Toronto - someone help me I can't remember the name of it - it's like a pay one price and you can go to the Zoo, ROM, CN Tower etc etc...anyone???

Here is a link to the toronto tourism site - it's quite good!:

http://www.torontotourism.com/Visitor/TOEssentials/TheBasics.htm

I'm sure you can Google my other suggestions for addt'l info.

And.....Wonderland would likely be fun your your kids - they are a good age for it as alot of the rides are more geared towards a bit older kids.

Instead of Marineland, you might want to hit the Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory. It is a little pricey but full of butterflies! My dd is 6 and absolutely loves it there. It will only take you about an hour to go through, though. There's also a bird thing in the Falls but I haven't been there yet. The kids would probably enjoy just plain seeing the falls at their ages. There's a place called Zooz in Niagara Falls (it's a zoo). I have yet to go there so I couldn't tell you what it is like.

We usually do an annual trip to Marineland. It is not as nice as Seaworld but not as pricey either. IIRC, you pay extra to feed the Belugas. A word to the wise: bring your lunch! You can take your own cooler in there. The only restaurants in Marineland are greasy and overpriced.

We also usually do a Toronto Zoo trip. I love the Toronto Zoo. Like the safari at AK, go early if you want to see the animals. The Toronto Zoo has a big splash pad for the kids.

Canada's Wonderland is not like WDW. It's more thrill rides, less themes and characters.

I live near London and there's not a ton of touristy things to do. There is Storybook Gardens which is a mini-zoo and amusement park (and I mean mini!)

Enjoy your trip, and when in Canada don't forget to try our local "hot spot" restaurants: Tim Horton's (coffee donut shop) You haven't experienced Canada if you haven't gone to Timmies!
:lol

DutchsMommy said:
Also - there is a ticket you can buy which is good for entrance to multiple tourist stuff in Toronto - someone help me I can't remember the name of it - it's like a pay one price and you can go to the Zoo, ROM, CN Tower etc etc...anyone???

It's the Toronto Citypass. Here's the link:

http://www.citypass.com/city/toronto.html

But, you'd have to be spending at least a week in Toronto to make it worth your while: Toronto Zoo, CN Tower, Art Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, Casa Loma, Science Centre. They have to be used within 9 days. $52.25 US per person, or $55 Cdn. Cheaper for youths.

Don't forget for CDNs, you can get tickets for most of those places (inlcuding the citypass) with your airmiles.

If you are going to do the Toronto to Niagara Falls trip, I would recommend Paramount Canada's Wonderland as well. It definitely isn't the Disney atmosphere, but it has more thrill rides, decent shows, and a good water park. It is probably a 2 day adventure, and definitely well worth the money. My kids love the Toronto Zoo too, the walk is heavy, but quite manageable, but I would advise skipping the Canadian area. The Science Centre and Ontario Place are decent options as well, but the CN tower is a waste of money.
In Niagara, Clifton Hill is a must, and so is the Maid of the Mist. We were extremely disappointed with Marineland. Walk a mile, see a bear, walk a mile see a whale, walk a mile get mugged by deer. African Lion Safari is similar to the Safari at AK, but the view from the bus doesn't compare to the open sided safari vehicle. One plus is the close proximity to the animals, but this can also be a negative when a monkey peels off your antenna.
I live an hour from London, and while it is a beautiful city, there is little to see there. A wine or beer tour of the Golden Horseshoe Area is also fun.

we spent $50 for 4 of us to take the elevator to the observation deck. Walked on the glass floor, looked out over the city, and rode down within 20 minutes. No refreshment stands were open, the place was packed, and the wait was longer than the experience. I would never do it again, or recommend it to anyone.

Marineland is terrible. Unless you have small children (you don't) it isn't worth the time or money.

If you're going to be in Toronto on July 1, a very worthwhile activity would be to stop at a store, get some fireworks, and head over to Ashbridges Bay. It's a beach on Lake Ontario where they do a big firework display on both our firework holidays. Everyone also brings their own fireworks, so you can see them up and down the beach. It looks great. I was just there on Monday for the May 24 celebration, and it was a great time.

Two sites worth visiting before coming are Toronto (. CA and com)

I'd do the proper links - but I'm too new here.

the CA site is the government site that has a handy "visiting toronto" section, while the COM site is a commercial thing but still has a lot of stuff in it.

I would just like to thank everybody that replied to this thread. Your ideas are appreciated very much. Only 6 weeks to go. :yay:

There is a good coupon book that has deals for the attractions you have mentioned. It is called Attractions Ontario. Perhaps your relatives in the Soo can pick one up for you. If they can't let me know and I can mail you one, I have a few of them from school.
For the Soo, I second the Agawa Tour. It is very beautiful! ( I am orginally from the Soo). If you like native crafts, there is a very cool store (Trading Post) on Highway 17 North...about 10 minutes or so from downtown Sault Ste. Marie. Another nice day trip from the Soo, is one of the many beaches around Lake Superior. Pancake Bay is my favourite (it is about an hour or so North of the Soo).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter