• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must-Dos for 21st Birthday Trip to Disneyland?

DisDancerina

DIS Veteran
So, I'm headed to Disneyland with my dad a couple weeks after my 21st birthday and I'm trying to think of must-do's! I know I want to go to Trader Sam's (I literally just want to order a drink to see the volcano go off) and Cove Bar, but I want to hear of your favorite experiences! I know it's kind of silly, but I want to do stuff like that and going to the Carthay Circle Lounge.

I'd also love to hear any unique suggestions you have for experiences that are 21+ in SoCal as well, as a side note. I'd love to go to a jazz club or something. I'm more about unique experiences than getting drunk, you know? Growing up, I always wanted to go to dueling piano bars and places like Pleasure Island's Bars (Ie: The Adventurers Club), so it's really the experiences that I'm interested in!

Please let me know what y'all think!

There is alcohol in California Adventure though isn't there? I'm sure I saw people walking around with it....

Well the wonderful thing about being 21 and Disneyland is there is no alcohol.

There is alcohol in California Adventure though isn't there? I'm sure I saw people walking around with it....

Not inside the gates of Disneyland proper, but all over the resort area and in DCA. In DCA is mostly beer, a margarita stand, and wine. That's what those neon cups are. No "fancy" fun drinks that I'm aware of.

We loved Trader Sam's.

I know this is slightly off topic but the perfect thread to ask where can I get a mimosa at or near Disney?

We are here now with our 21 year old DD, as we are Australian no one will serve her a drink using her drivers license as proof of age they have insisted on her passport. We have been told it is a Disney rule. Well done Disney for treating tourists badly. There reasoning is that they can't tell if the drivers license is real or fake, two comments to this. First she is sitting with her middle aged parents and second how often do the Disney staff see drivers licenses from all 50 states, so can easily tell if they are fake. I'm not happy at being treated like this and I love Disney.

Yes they definitely serve alcohol in California Adventure! I went to Disneyland as a 21 year old this summer and had a fantastic time!

I would absolutely suggest Trader Sam's, The Lounge at Carthay Circle, Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian,

I would also suggest the Lounge at Napa Rose and the Lounge at Steakhouse 55! If you are a Foodie and enjoy wine I would really suggest Napa Rose Chefs Table and do the Wine Pairings they were excellent!

If you are looking at doing a "bar crawl" type evening it would be fun to do a "Drink Around Downtown Disney" - I would make sure to end the night at the UVA Bar, with it being right in the middle of Downtown Disney it made for some really enjoyable people watching!

We are here now with our 21 year old DD, as we are Australian no one will serve her a drink using her drivers license as proof of age they have insisted on her passport. We have been told it is a Disney rule. Well done Disney for treating tourists badly. There reasoning is that they can't tell if the drivers license is real or fake, two comments to this. First she is sitting with her middle aged parents and second how often do the Disney staff see drivers licenses from all 50 states, so can easily tell if they are fake. I'm not happy at being treated like this and I love Disney.

Sorry, that is very lame for your legal aged daughter!! But, it is the same at the stadium I work at for international visitors, Passport only for alcohol sales.

Very true about the CM'S not having experience with id's from every state, either.

At least you must have brought the passport on the trip, so she'll know what to expect for the rest of the trip!

And that is why there are guys that appear to be impersonating Jack. Not that crazy zombie monkey. Capt Jack of course. Lol

Why is the rum always gone? ................oh...that's why. :faint:

I'm sorry this upsets you, but they are following the laws. California law specifically states ID for an international person must be a passport. Imagine if thy were caught accepting an illegal ID, they could lose their license, and that would be a major issue. They were not trying to treat your daughter badly, they were following the law. Just recently, a local spot was tested as there was a rumor they were not following a similar law, and when the decoy went in, it was found they were not following the law, and they were shut down. I don't understand why your daughter didn't have a passport. I'm sorry she didn't get her drink.

From a server training guide -
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF ID FOR ALCOHOL- CALIFORNIA
  • A valid driver's license issued by US federal, state, county, or municipal government.
  • A valid passport.
  • A valid passport card.
  • An identification card issued by the Armed Forces of the United States that contains the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person

You mentioned a jazz club? You are in luck! The Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney has live jazz every night of the week. Fri-Sat is a full live band. You can sit at the bar and grab a drink on your way to Trader Sams. Food is great as well. Let them know it is your bday if you order food of some sort. They will do birthday beignets.

Cove Bar is great. Order a Mickey's Fun Wheel. I don't think it on the menu anymore but it is strong and pretty. Trust me, they know how to make it. Carthay Circle is great as well for classic drinks. Trader Sams you want to order a Krakatoa Punch. It triggers the volcano and comes with the light up glow cube.

Have fun!

My DD was not asked for any identification at Goofys Kitchen and was happily served. No we do not carry our passport with us at all times, it increases the the chances of it being lost and that becomes a huge problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter