"Must Do" list for kids' first visit

Pesky

"Who's the monkey?!"
I know this is a matter of personal preference and we definitely have some ideas floating around of what to do. But if you were taking 2 kids to DLR for the first time (ages 6 and 4), what would be your "must do" list? TIA!

1. If one is a girl, you have to do the meet the princesses thingy over in Fantasyland.

2. Jedi Training Academy absolutely.

Been awhile since I've had kids that young. Can't remember much else for the crumb crunchers.

My kids are 6 and 4 as well! Both girls, so we are definitely doing the princess thing in Fantasyland. Other stuff that we'd like to do while there:

• lots of Fantasyland rides
  • Autopia - I've told ODD (age 6) about this ride and she is ecstatic over the thought of being able to drive a car
  • DH wants to go on Haunted Mansion, although I think it may freak my children out
  • Toy Story Mania at CA
  • for me, Space Mountain once
  • Tom Sawyer's Island
  • Tarzan's Treehouse
  • if we had boys, we'd DEFINITELY do the Jedi Training Academy. ODD is mildly interested in seeing Darth Vader in person, though.
  • see a parade - because my kids have NEVER been to a parade. Ever.
  • Seeing the looks of joy and wonder on their faces when we're there. I remember how incredibly awesome it was when *I* was a kid. I can't wait to see their reactions when we go.

If they have never been before...I suggest start with the outside rides first like Dumbo, Casey Jr, Tea Cups, When you move to the inside rides, try IASW first, then do some of the scarier ones like SW, etc.
This works well if the LO's tend to get scared.
We took DD (3.5 at the time) and my niece (a few days shy of 3) last year. We went straight for SW and some other FL rides. My DD was a little scared, but ok since she knew the stories. My poor niece was so scared (especially after going on pirates) that she can't even go to the movie theater because it is dark. My DD rode anything and everything she was tall enough for. At the end of the day, she wanted to see the robot movie (Star Wars) because that was her favorite ride...still is.

The princess M&G and JTA will be fun if that is what they are into. They may also enjoy Toontown...just check the seat before you get on GGC.

I would definitely look into booking a character meal with kids that age. They can be expensive, but for me, it's worth it so I don't have to spend hours standing in line. For girls that age, I'd recommend Ariel's for princesses or Minnie's for a wide variety.

One other thing my DD3 (now 4) LOVED last time was playing musical chairs with Alice and the Mad Hatter. They do this just about every day over by Coke Corner (on the left side of Main Street just as you hit the hub). They don't really publicize this, so it can be hard to figure out what time exactly they are doing it. We ended up asking the piano player, and he knew the schedule, since he has to provide the music! If you only have a few days, this might be worth skipping so you can focus on attractions, but this is a fun little experience!

Subbing, because mine are 6, 5, and 2.5 and will be going for the first time. :)

We went in 2009 when our kids were 4& 6. Lunch at Ariel's Grotto was magical for both DS4 and DD6 and they also enjoyed Goofy's kitchen. Other faves:
IASW
Winnie the Pooh
Fantasyland rides
Monsters Inc
Buzz
Toy Story
Disney Junior live in DCA
Matterhorn (DD6 only)
Bugs land in DCA
Tartans treehouse
Jungle cruise
Fireworks

I will throw in a special shout out for Tom Sawyer's Island. My husband and I loved it as kids, and our children love it too. It is the most beautifully themed playground. Kids can get a break from standing in line and being strapped into various vehicles and really let their imaginations run free. Lots of unstructured imaginative play opportunities there which we find we really value at some point in each visit. My only wish is that Fort Wilderness was still open, but even without that still loads and loads of fun to be had. Just watch out for the cave if your 4 year old is tender about dark spaces. The rest of it is great.

Disney Jr live is one of DD's favs. The Redwood Creek Challenge in DCA is a good place to let off stream too.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

My girls' favourite rides at 6 were Screamin', tower of terror and splash mountain. My youngest was 3.5 on our last visit and she was completely obsessed with Star Tours (we are talking twice a day, every day!). All she can talk about doing on our upcoming trip is riding both Star Tours and Screamin' (she is now 6).

Soarin would probably be a good ride for them to get used to the indoor rides as the queuing area is not that dark, and it's such a fun ride that they wouldn't get frightened on.

Get a "1st visit" button for each of them!

Do they know you are going? If so - show them the ride pictures and food threads etc and let them each choose one favorite of each to have as a treat to look forward to.

Character dining....we did Minnie and Friends and it was AMAZING. Tons of characters that took time with the kids etc.

Not as much a "what to do" but tip in general...if they have a ride they want to do a few times in a row (and the lines aren't horrible) then roll with it. Go Go Gadget Coaster turned out to be my son's favorite, he rode it at least 5 times in a row one morning which made my schedule-self cringe but it was worth it for him!

Definitely follow the kids' lead. We just came back from taking our kids for the first time. I'd made detailed touring plans, but chucked them at the door because I didn't want to spoil my 5 yr old's sense of magic as he was discovering "his" Disneyland. (obviously we did pay some heed to posted and reported wait times, and made a few suggestions, but by and large we did the things the kids wanted to do).

awdsmama said:

Do they know you are going? If so - show them the ride pictures and food threads etc and let them each choose one favorite of each to have as a treat to look forward to.

Character dining....we did Minnie and Friends and it was AMAZING. Tons of characters that took time with the kids etc.

Not as much a "what to do" but tip in general...if they have a ride they want to do a few times in a row (and the lines aren't horrible) then roll with it. Go Go Gadget Coaster turned out to be my son's favorite, he rode it at least 5 times in a row one morning which made my schedule-self cringe but it was worth it for him!

Agree with the doing a ride several times in a row if they love it and the lines are short. We did ghat on several.

As a kid I loved (and still love) Goofy's Kitchen. It's such a fun place to be. As for rides Dumbo, IaSW, and autopia are all great as well as my personal favorite Peter Pan. Make sure you make time to meet the characters and see the parades, because it's the personal interactions that make the best memories that they'll look back on. Have fun!

Just wanted to say that this thread is great...thanks OP for creating it :goodvibes. We have 2 girls who are 11 and 9 and this will be our first visit to DLR. They are ride junkies (except the 9 year old will not go on ToT) therefore they are not afraid of riding roller coasters and such. It's great to see everyone's responses to what are must dos for each park :goodvibes.

Definitely do this. They will got lots of attention!!

Also, no one has said it yet so I'm staying Carsland. I haven't been yet, but I already know my kids will just love the experience of being in Radiator Springs.

In terms of characters, you've go to see Mickey so if you aren't doing a character breakfast with him, head over to his house to find him. Pooh & Tigger are awesome too if you can find them.

anyone have any thoughts on whether special things like a tender ride or Lilly Belle trip, etc. is a good idea for a first trip? Or better to enjoy it the regular way first. And yes, noted JTA and character meals/greets from above, thanks!

We took our kids for the first time last summer - ds 8 , ds 7, dd 4. It was awesome. THis was THE trip. We had 3 days and I researched tons to best fit in as much as we could. We got our first buttons at city hall when we walked in.

My musts
Princess faire
Jedi Training
all the kids loved autopia which was a suprise ( I mean we rode it a lot!)
all kids to surfs up and it was a hit
splurged on Ariels grotto w/ dd and so glad I did. What a special time.
Dumbo and tea cups just something you have to do.
All kids loved goofys coater and toontown.
Do a MM and be there early. You can see and do so much in that time.
My boys loved Space mtn and rode that over and over as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter