• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MUST do, absolutely can NOT miss rides/attractions?

Tasha228

DIS Veteran
I haven't been since 2004. My dh has never been. We will only be there from Dec. 30-Jan.2. And we are doing the NYE at City Walk. I'm expecting it to be packed. We will be onsite and have Express Pass but what are some of the things you would say to make absolutely sure we experience? TIA!

Universal Studios:
  • Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
  • Revenge of the Mummy
  • Transformers: The Ride-3D
  • Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
  • Men in Black: Alien Attack
  • Shrek 4-D
  • T2 3-D: Battle Across Time
  • E.T. Adventure
  • Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit

Islands of Adventure:
  • The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
  • Skull Island: Reign of Kong
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
  • The Incredible Hulk Coaster
Also make sure to take Hogwarts Express to transfer between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Last edited:
Owl did a good job listing what most agree are the headliners for USO. I would take out Shrek (takes 30+ minutes) and do Rip Ride Rocket and E.T. instead.

Over at IOA, Jurassic Park River Adventure is a favorite of ours, especially if you can ride it at night!

I would skip Terminator unless you are a big fan of the movies. Complete waste of time for me!

Anybody's list will be subjective - I love Dr Doom although it is very short so I would never wait in much of a line for it. I would also think Rip Ride Rockit should be added to Owl X's list.

Owl did a good job listing what most agree are the headliners for USO. I would take out Shrek (takes 30+ minutes) and do Rip Ride Rocket and E.T. instead.

Over at IOA, Jurassic Park River Adventure is a favorite of ours, especially if you can ride it at night!

Yes, Jurassic Park is awesome. We will do that for sure. And ET is a favorite of mine as well. Shrek was okay when I was there. So we'll see on that. I've never done Rip Ride Rocket but I already KNOW that is one dh will want to do. Thanks you guys!

I would skip Terminator unless you are a big fan of the movies. Complete waste of time for me!

Anybody's list will be subjective - I love Dr Doom although it is very short so I would never wait in much of a line for it. I would also think Rip Ride Rockit should be added to Owl X's list.

Yeah, I've done Terminator. I liked it. Not my favorite but enjoyable. I figure I'll add it to the bottom of the must do's and will work it in if we can. Dh will probably like it.

I left out a few rides due to the following:
  • The Simpsons Ride : This Motion simulator can be rough; was better as Back to the Future
  • Doctor Doom's Fearfall : This Drop Tower ride can be rough
  • Dragon Challenge : Typical Rollercoaster; was better as Dueling Dragons
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure : I personally do not like to get wet especially if it is chilly
  • Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls : Another ride where you get wet
  • Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges : Yet another ride where you get wet
I edited my original post to add ET & Rip Ride Rocket.
Note that theater attractions such as Shrek and Terminator allow you to spend some time off your feet.

I left out a few rides due to the following:
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure : I personally do not like to get wet especially if it is chilly
  • Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls : Another ride where you get wet
  • Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges : Yet another ride where you get wet
I have Jurassic in a different category of wetness. You might get wet, most of the times you get a spritz, superficial so that your t-shirt dries out in less than an hour. Dudley and Bluto are soakers! As in pouring a bucket of water over your head, wet down to your britches, wring out the shirt, walking funny afterward experience.

Since you are there a few days, I would make sure to get in Cat in the Hat for nostalgia sake. If it is warm, I would do Jurassic Park and Popeye.

I have Jurassic in a different category of wetness. You might get wet, most of the times you get a spritz, superficial so that your t-shirt dries out in less than an hour. Dudley and Bluto are soakers! As in pouring a bucket of water over your head, wet down to your britches, wring out the shirt, walking funny afterward experience.

I've always found that Popeye's is a hit or miss in terms of wetness. I've either come out with a spritz (and bum wet from the seat) or soaked. It depends on the seat and how it's turned at particularly high wet spots. Like when you run into a tall rapid, if you happen to be at the "front" and take it with your back, you will get soaked.

Just be aware that Jurassic Park can get you drenched! We have done it two times during our past two visits at different times of the day, and both times we were very very wet! Doing it at night means you probably will not dry and the night air could be chilly. Walking around in wet clothes at night is not for me. Take a poncho!

Just be aware that Jurassic Park can get you drenched! We have done it two times during our past two visits at different times of the day, and both times we were very very wet! Doing it at night means you probably will not dry and the night air could be chilly. Walking around in wet clothes at night is not for me. Take a poncho!

Yes, I'm very conflicted because I love all the "water" rides but I'm from the South and have never gone in January so I'm afraid it will be too cold for us. I hate to skip it, especially since it's dh's 1st time, but don't want to be uncomfortable either. I've rode JP twice. Once just a drizzle, 2nd time DRENCHED. So I know what you mean!

Yes, I'm very conflicted because I love all the "water" rides but I'm from the South and have never gone in January so I'm afraid it will be too cold for us. I hate to skip it, especially since it's dh's 1st time, but don't want to be uncomfortable either. I've rode JP twice. Once just a drizzle, 2nd time DRENCHED. So I know what you mean!

When we were there in February this year, it was a bit on the cooler side. We just used cheap ponchos from the dollar store and stayed relatively dry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter