Multiple reservations alternating Deluxe dining and no dining

pook

Earning My Ears
Hypothetically, couldnt an annual passholder planning an 8 night stay at a Disney resort book 8 separate reservations, alternating between deluxe dining and no dining? If this is possible, a family of 2 adults and 3 kids would save $187 over the length of the stay (versus 8 nights of regular Dining plan), have a snack every day and either 1 or 2 table service meals each day (or do a show or signature dining 4 of the 8 nights) and get 5 refillable mugs every other day of the trip, leaving with 20 mugs.

Anyone ever do something like this???:idea:

Technically it may be possible.

It would be a lot of work for the person doing that though, as you run into the very real possiblity that you'll be switching rooms every single day (check out by 11 am and then stowing your stuff at bell services until your new room is ready by 3 or 4pm)

Also, if enough people started doing this could expose a loophole in the system, and Disney is usually quick to close loopholes (especially ones that lose lots of money for them). This could make it harder (or impossible) for AP holders to purchase the DDP.

This is from wdwinfo.com http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-ap.htm#General, which is what makes me think that technically you may be able to do this.
Disney Dining Plan

Annual Passholders can now add the Disney Dining Plan to their reservation. This will make the booking a package subject to the terms and conditions of those reservations. (Paid in full 45 days in advance, etc.)
Availability of the Disney Dining Plan add-on is limited and cannot be combined with any other discounts (AAA, Bounceback, etc.) It can be applied to a AP discounted room as well as one that's rack rate.

technically sure! realistically? Nightmare! You would have to recheck in to get new keys every day
even if somehow you didn't have to move (which would be doubtful) checkin every blessed day

not a vacation to me!

Now what many do, is to have 2 ressies, one for half the trip (or whatever) with DXDP then the balance of the trip no DDP or modified DDP (or vice versa)

Often coincides with resort move too

Has anyone REALLY ever been forced by Disney to switch rooms while staying at the same resort?

You may get a more accurate answer on the resort board (that is from people that it actually happened to - when it happened and what the circumstances were), but yes, I've read about it happening to people who post here on the boards.

Has anyone REALLY ever been forced by Disney to switch rooms while staying at the same resort?

Yes. I had to once. I had a week long vacation booked and decided to add an extra night on. There were no more rooms left with a discount so I had to pay rack rates for the one night. We had to move from one room to another when we switched ressies. It was horrible since I kept going to the wrong room all week!

I'm pretty sure if you did this they'd move you each time out of spite ;) Usually you get the same room but not always. You'd spend a lot of precious time at the front desk too and then potentially time packing. Split stays very common and split dining plan for part of the trip also common but changing plans every day not so common. For our fall trip we may do 3 plans. First 2 days regular ddp or no ddp, second 2 days platinum plan in a deluxe, last 2 days regular or no ddp. We'll definitely do 2 different resorts. Depending on AP rates hopefully all deluxes otherwise 2/3 deluxe and 1/3 mod.

Yes, I had to change rooms at CSR Oct 2009. My first room was on the top floor of Casitas 2 and my second room was first floor Cabanas 8A. In my case I had already booked my room and airfare months before, hoping for an AP discount. When the AP discounts finally came out, my first night missed the dates by one day, but due to my airfare I couldn't change my arrival date. I had the DxDDP for both reservations and was hoping to be able to stay in the same room. When I had days 2-9 switched to the AP discount, I had the CM request that the ressies be linked. When I checked in that first day, I again asked that they be linked so I didn't have to change rooms. When I went down early the next morning I was told I had to move to Cabans 8A, but the room wasn't ready. I checked my bags with bell services, then they paged me with my new room number, when I got back that night I had to go by bell services to get my bags.

Wow, I am surprised. I have always told myself that if they ever asked me to switch rooms during those prior stays, I'd "politely refuse" to move.

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess if one were to try this, they'd have to be prepared for the worst.

Wow, I am surprised. I have always told myself that if they ever asked me to switch rooms during those prior stays, I'd "politely refuse" to move.

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess if one were to try this, they'd have to be prepared for the worst.

Agreed!

For what ends up being a savings of $23/day for the whole family ($6/person for a family of 4) it may not be worth it. Of course it's entirely up to the individual party as to whether it's worth saving that amount.

There is the guarnateed extra work that someone will need to do. They'd need to get up and go to the front desk every morning to check in and out. Potentially wait in line to do so, and give all of their info and get new cards. Each morning and before you go to the park.

Then there is the X Factor. The risk that they are taking. Will they need to pack up their room and get bell services up to pick up their bags every morning before going to the park? If they are packing up in the morning, then they'd need to come back to their room and unpack before bed?

Doing a DxDDP one day and no dining plan the next day - Family of 4:
48 Dining Credits
16 Mugs
32 Snacks

Doing the DDP length of stay - which would be about $6/person per day:
32 TS Credits
32 CS Credits
32 Snacks

So really you'd also get an extra 16 credits for dining over the length of your stay as well. Though you won't get 16 mugs....;)

Doing a DxDDP one day and no dining plan the next day - Family of 4:
48 Dining Credits
16 Mugs
32 Snacks

Doing the DDP length of stay - which would be about $6/person per day:
32 TS Credits
32 CS Credits
32 Snacks

So really you'd also get an extra 16 credits for dining over the length of your stay as well. Though you won't get 16 mugs....;)

But what are those 16 credits worth to him? To me, nothing. I don't like Disney CS and would much rather have 12 TS meals than 8 CS and 8 TS, especially if the 12 TS is cheaper.

That said, switching ressies everyday is too much of a hassle for the potential savings. I am planning a split stay on our next trip to take advantage of 2 different promos, and I am crossing my fingers that they won't make us switch!

I don't like Disney CS

May I recommend POR's "design your own pasta" and "design your own salad" stations? They were 2 great CS options. Also, using 1 snack credit per person at POFQ (a short walk away) made for a cheap breakfast on multiple mornings.
Also, not using at least 1 day's CS credits at Wolfgang Puck Express for lunch should be criminal!

May I recommend POR's "design your own pasta" and "design your own salad" stations? They were 2 great CS options. Also, using 1 snack credit per person at POFQ (a short walk away) made for a cheap breakfast on multiple mornings.
Also, not using at least 1 day's CS credits at Wolfgang Puck Express for lunch should be criminal!

I can definiately second WPE as an awesome use of a CS credit. We've never been to POR, but both those sound good too.

Another suggestion for Stuck's worthless CS credits would be to convert them to snacks so you can get some value out of them.

Many places will allow two snacks and a drink for a CS credit. Don't even ask to 'convert', just ask if you can substitute a dessert for the sandwich/entree.

Also, Main Street Bakery you can get a decent deli sandwich, dessert and a drink for a CS Credit.

Yes, there are times where you would HAVE to move the next day.

But, I actually got lucky this year switching rooms on my second day.

I had a pin code that didn't qualify for my first day, and I couldn't change my days before I already purchased my airline tickets.

I linked my ressies, so I wouldn't have to move. I arrive the day after Thanksgiving. I booked waterview and asked for Oak Manor near the pool.

They were already no openings in Oak Manor by the pool for that day, but she did me one better.

She said she had a double bed room (I was traveling alone) in Parterre Place Wing for riverview but it was partially blocked by the stairs. She said I could be perfectly content in that room, if I was willing to move the next day, she could give me the corner room King sized bed, right next door and the stairs would no longer be blocking my view.

So I moved the next day and it was worth it!

Actually the last night of our recent stay at Port Orleans Riverside, we had 1 CS left, so I went up to the register with a brownie sundae (which is not even on the menu, but they'll do it) a pre-packaged fruit salad and a drink, and TOLD the cashier the fruit salad was going to be my Cs entree. It was done with no questions asked.

Yeah, nothing wrong with moving to a nearby and upgraded room!:cool1:

Yes, I have had to move during a stay.
Though you could do what you are proposing, there is no way I would want to move that many times under the out by 11 and not in until after 3pm scenario. To each their own!

I can definiately second WPE as an awesome use of a CS credit. We've never been to POR, but both those sound good too.

Another suggestion for Stuck's worthless CS credits would be to convert them to snacks so you can get some value out of them.

Many places will allow two snacks and a drink for a CS credit. Don't even ask to 'convert', just ask if you can substitute a dessert for the sandwich/entree.

Also, Main Street Bakery you can get a decent deli sandwich, dessert and a drink for a CS Credit.

Good ideas pook & tricia -- I do LOVE Disney snacks!

I should rephrase my prior statement: I don't like MOST Disney CS. I did enjoy Earl of Sandwhich twice on our last trip and do LOVE the MSB. I think I would like WPE and the CS in Germany and UK, but haven't had a chance to try those yet. I have heard a lot about Flame Tree but, being from Kansas City, I don't think it would be the same type of BBQ I am used to.

I have tried Cosmic Ray's twice, Electric Umbrella, the old Mexico CS, Sunshine Seasons, Pinocchio Village Haus, Liberty Inn and Pecos Bill and threw most of my food away at all of them. So, if given the choice, I would take 12 TS meals over 8 CS/8 TS for the same price. It would give me more meals at the parks instead of snacking or going over to DTD.

On a side note, we are doing half DxDDP and half OOP on our next trip. I can't wait! There are many TS that I still want to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter