Multiple food allergies -accomodating on ships?

MedicGoofy

DIS Veteran
I have a weird situation with my sister in law that makes travelling and going out for meals very difficult. She has got multiple food allergies that makes it near impossible for her to eat out, let alone vacation. She is actually turned away from restaurants for liability reasons.

We have plans for a Disney World vacation in the near future, but, that will come with a kitchen. Therefore, we can prepare any of our own food. If she doesn't feel comfortable with the way she feels Disney handles the food or IF they can accomodate her, we still have access to a means of cooking.

BUT, my parents and I would love to take a family cruise and have my brother and his family come along. Problem lies with my sister in law. She has your typical peanut/nut allergy but also many other odd allergies. Her list of fruits that she can't eat, far outweighs what she can eat. Some spices she is allergic to. It is a lenghty list.

I have contacted DCL via email and gotten a very standard reply back that is something they send to anyone.

I am wondering how other people with severe anaphylatic allergies, or multiple allergies, have done on cruises. Are they accomodating? Is it easy to get around? Or is it something that your worried about constantly? Does Disney, on a cruise, put your mind to ease?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance.

Jenn

DH has peanut and tree nut allergies. When we advised DCL of his allergies before a prior trip, we were told to avoid buffet eating onboard and to discuss his allergies with waitstaff in the dining room. We had no problems whatsoever. That said, my DH is a very cautious eater--he knows where most of the pitfalls are for his particular allergies and, if in doubt, will order something simple to eat like a steak or hamburger. There are always plainer foods on offer (steak, chicken, fish) for dinner on DCL ships and we can always order a sandwich or hot dog from a quick serve counter or room service.

Hi There,
First and foremost I have to say that Disney has always been very accommodating when it comes to food allergies and issues. I am allergic to banana's. It is a very strange allergy I know but something that I have been blessed with. I have never had a problem with DCl. When I want a special drink I have to make sure that they have not processed bananas inside the blenders recently. They have always either washed it in front of me to prove to me its clean or they have gotten a brand new (clean) on from the back.

When it comes to eating, you will let them become aware of it when you book. On the ship, the chefs will come to your table to make sure the cook the meal to your special needs. I do not think that you will have any problems with Disney. I think you should feel comfortable in booking a cruise. I have never heard Disney turning anyone down due to a food allergy.

Good luck and I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise should you decide to go!

I leave on for my first cruise in 3 weeks. I have multiple life threatening food allergies. DCL has been great so far in communicating with me. We also do Disney world 2 weeks every year and they are the best anywhere for food allergies though I feel much safer at sit down meals than quick service. The chef speaks with me at each table service and personally cooks my meal. I have been told by dcl I will order dinner meals the night before so i won't have to wait and to work with a chef at the buffets. Hope that helps.

We got the same stock email answer you did when we contacted DCL over my food allergies this weekend. I'm allergic to fish, seafood, pork, melons and mangos and it sometimes takes a bit of doing to explain even a drop of oyster sauce is a major problem at some places. I know DCL will do their best for me but I also need to police my own food. We are in the US for three weeks and have chosen apartments to stay in for the same reason as you said - it's easier. However I never let it stop me travelling and I've never been stood down from travel and I've been to well over 50 countries. Have a good trip. :)

My son has several fod allergies and has been issued an Epi Pen as a result of their severity. He is allergic to fish, shellfish, milk, eggs and bananas. We have always has great experiences at all Disney resorts and DCL.

When we have traveled on DCL they have been very helpful. Each night we would go to the dining room and our server would bring us the menu for the next night. My son would look it over and decide what looked good and then place an order for what he wanted the next night. The chef would then modify any of the recipes to fit his allergies. You have never seen a 9 yr old so happy! He ate duck, veal, lamb and pheasant. Not an allergy free chicken nugget in sight!!!! (although they do have these on board as well as a LOT of other allergy friendly options. Even waffle!)

When we ate at the buffet restaurants the chef would come out and discuss the allergies. They would offer some options and then prep the choice in a dedicated area of the kitchen so that nothing would be cross contaminated.

As a parent of a child with life threatening allergies I can say that I have full confidence in Disney's ability to take care of my sons needs. Wheb staying in the parks they have been great (the chef at the Polynesian actually called me at home and then made my son a Bday cake from my dairy free/ egg free recipe) and DCL is no different.

pirate::cool1::beach::rockband:

Disney is so incredible about food allergies if its life threatening. If it isn't life threatening they treat it as if it is. Everyones food will likely take longer as the chef will prepare it very cautiously and everything is made at the time of order rather than some things that are started or prepared before you enter the dining room. My family chooses to not mention allergies because we can order around it and not worry about a knife that touched the flounder now touching the steak. Sounds like this would be an issue for your SIL though and you would want to mention it and everyone can be comfortable knowing there is nothing to worry about.

Someone posted not so long ago about the Dream class has an allergy section in the galley set aside just for those that have life threatening allergies.
Additionally, pervious Guest's have been able to order off the next evening's menu the night before if they wish to help speed up the service.

As alway's on all of the ship's, the Head Chef is available to speak to about any concern's (if you ask), but the Head Server and Server's may try to steer you towards a plain chicken and rice dish unless you do from some recent previous reports.

Ask to speak to the Head Chef and discuss your allergies, and hopefully they will be able to come up with some taste sensation dishes to suit your diet! :goodvibes

Ex Techie :)

My DD has several food allergies fish shellfish treenuts peaches apples kiwi bee stings and penicillin and sulfabased dyes as well as contrast dyes. She has an Epi-pen and benadryl and she always checks and rechecks her food. She can not go out to most restaurants and is turned away at some. Disney however has been great and we just did a Dream cruise. They had her order her food each night for the next day including on the island. She ate just fine and was never hungry. We also got a private table so we did not have to worry about cross- contamination. Disney is the best for accomodating needs. We did do a Wonder cruise and I really liked it much better.

I have a weird situation with my sister in law that makes travelling and going out for meals very difficult. She has got multiple food allergies that makes it near impossible for her to eat out, let alone vacation. She is actually turned away from restaurants for liability reasons.

We have plans for a Disney World vacation in the near future, but, that will come with a kitchen. Therefore, we can prepare any of our own food. If she doesn't feel comfortable with the way she feels Disney handles the food or IF they can accomodate her, we still have access to a means of cooking.

BUT, my parents and I would love to take a family cruise and have my brother and his family come along. Problem lies with my sister in law. She has your typical peanut/nut allergy but also many other odd allergies. Her list of fruits that she can't eat, far outweighs what she can eat. Some spices she is allergic to. It is a lenghty list.

I have contacted DCL via email and gotten a very standard reply back that is something they send to anyone.

I am wondering how other people with severe anaphylatic allergies, or multiple allergies, have done on cruises. Are they accomodating? Is it easy to get around? Or is it something that your worried about constantly? Does Disney, on a cruise, put your mind to ease?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance.

Jenn

I do not have allergies, but I have gastroparesis--my stomach is paralyzed. It's very difficult for me to eat out as well. However, Disney was very accommodating on my last cruise--I was impressed. I can't eat most vegetables, any raw fruit, any cooked unpeeled fruit, any whole grain anything--the list goes on and on. I had a good meal every night on ship--generally better than what I could have cooked myself.

Thank you ALL for your amazing replies. This is great information to have, and to be able to take back to my sister in law. This is great for her to be able to see and to know that Disney will take care of her.

Not has she never been on vacation but her and my brother have a little one who would LOVE a Disney cruise. It would be fantastic to have the whole family together for something like this. A first for the little one, and the big one!!

Again, thank you!!

For the WDW portion of the trip you can send an e-mail off to special diets. They will send you a form to fill out for all your TS meals via e-mail.

The chefs are really great!

I have four kids, all with food allergies plus celiac disease. On our last cruise the Head Server (who she would be dealing with) told me about a child with 51 foods he was allergic to. The chef was able to feed him and feed him well (with no repeats). In fact the HS told me that the mom mentioned that the child ate better on the cruise than he ever did.

They can take care of her and do it well. I would suggest that she have the allergies typed out and make 3 copies for each day (put them on index cards) because for every meal that is pre ordered they prepare a slip and have to write out the allergies each time.

FTR -- my youngest is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs, sesame, carrots, shellfish, most fish. This is on top of celiac disease.

We got the same stock email answer you did when we contacted DCL over my food allergies this weekend. I'm allergic to fish, seafood, pork, melons and mangos and it sometimes takes a bit of doing to explain even a drop of oyster sauce is a major problem at some places. I know DCL will do their best for me but I also need to police my own food. We are in the US for three weeks and have chosen apartments to stay in for the same reason as you said - it's easier. However I never let it stop me travelling and I've never been stood down from travel and I've been to well over 50 countries. Have a good trip. :)

Just a FYI--if you are allergic to mangoes, avoid cashew nuts. I found out the hard way that people who are allergic to one are often allergic to the other.

Just a FYI--if you are allergic to mangoes, avoid cashew nuts. I found out the hard way that people who are allergic to one are often allergic to the other.

Oh poor you, I can imagine that wasn't a nice experience at all. Thankfully I'm good with cashew nuts but boy are they expensive. I'm off to Thailand in a month and am visiting a cashew farm. Will have to avoid all the other things I'm allergic to as they form the basis of Thai cooking - I always get my allergies transcribed into Thai (or the local language) so there isn't any confusion. People often ask why I travel to Thailand if I'm allergic to things like oyster sauce and fish sauce but you can still eat well.

I forgot to mention that at WDW all the CS places have a binder listing all the ingredients in each item. When I have asked for the binder they usually call over for the manager/chef and they go through the binder with me to find something that will work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter