Multi - split stays...Yay or nay?

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
I'm realizing that we have a ton of splits planned in 13 nights and wondering if I should cut it down some. Right now, we will fly in Thanksgiving night, spend a night at a hotel (so we don't have to set up camp at night), off to FW to camp for 2 nights with my extended family, then VWL 1bdr for 3 nights, then AKV CL for 4 nights and finish up with AKV 1 bdr Kidani for 4 nights.

Too much? We will have a car if that helps (although if we stay at the Hyatt at the airport and take DME, then we could honestly get away without driving and just using buses. Also this means we wouldn't have to bring car seats!!). And also 3 young kids...

My thoughts were with the CL, that it would cover the time when we were without rooms, because we would have access to the lounge from that morning we check in to the night we check out, correct? We also would really like to do the Sunrise Safari.

Should I simplify this or lengthen/shorten any parts of the stay to make it easier?

Are you there to practice moving or to have a vacation? :goodvibes

IMO split stays are disruptive and take away vacations. If you have no other choice, if it's only a couple of people, or if you are doing it to experience the resorts prior to purchase then I understand.

Each move increases the potential for check in or room problems. You are out at 11 AM and in your new room at 4 PM or later. You spend all of your time moving and not having the Disney experience.

:earsboy: Bill

I totally snorted at your first sentence - touche! We will be down again, I have family in the area and we will have APs, so should I just go from VWL to a 1 bdr at Kidani and cut out the CL?

It probably is a little much, particularly with kids. We have done 2 resort split stays for our last 3 trips, and I am ready for a stay from front to back at one resort. Unfortunately the only way you may be able to simplify things would be to drop the CL stay and try to add VWL or AKV. And that may be difficult at this point. You could probably set up a WL for the 4 nights at each resort to cover the days that you have for CL, but watch make sure that the points returned to your account are bankable.

It is nice that you have the CL stay in the middle, but hanging out in the concierge lounge gets a little old. Hopefully you will have warm weather so you can spend some time at the pool.

Enjoy! We love WDW during the holidays!!:santa:

We've abandoned split stays realizing the stress level remains lower when we're not worried about picking up/packing up and moving mid-stay. Now we arrive to one location and move in....staying there until it's time to go home. Much more convenient and restful.

We do a lot of splits, If you were making 3 big moves I would question it, but since the first WDW is close and the second is within AKL if you know how to pack for multisplits why not. Of all the reservation the CL is the last thing that I would give up, especially if you can do the sunrise safari.

More often than not I have either been in the new room before having to checkout of the old or only being homeless for an hour or 2. Yes we have had to wait to 4or 6pm to get in a room but that is the exception

The only time I do a split stay is when I can't get every night at my resort of choice.

However there is one huge benefit of a split stay. Every time you move to a different resort you get a clean room with freshly made beds and with children that is a huge benefit.

I sincerely doubt you can do anything to reduce your moves at this point (unless you want to book something off site). Pretty much everything is filled up for your dates and it's a good bet that there are waitlists for a lot of the nights you'd need to make any changes.

My advice is to look for positives and get excited about the changes.

Have fun!

I sincerely doubt you can do anything to reduce your moves at this point (unless you want to book something off site). Pretty much everything is filled up for your dates and it's a good bet that there are waitlists for a lot of the nights you'd need to make any changes.

I was just thinking the same thing! We've been waitlisted at 6 months for particular category room and nothing so far.

I personally don't think it's too much. It's much easier when you have a car. You're not relying on bell services to move your luggage. The 2n will be a little rough, but the 2 sets of 4n at the end will be fine. And really the AKV CL to Kidani I don't even consider a move... more like leaving the room during the day so they can clean it :)

There's LOTS to do at AKV that the day will go by fast. Or you can go to the parks that day. Even if you didn't have the CL, Kidani has lots of areas to sit or lie down comfortably to watch the animals.

Hi folks, a quick question on split stays. Will the bell services folks move your bags from one resort to the next? I have a one night at SSR before a few at the BCV for the marathon this coming January and want to just get going in the daytime by dropping the bags off and checking in later in the day at the BCV.

Hi folks, a quick question on split stays. Will the bell services folks move your bags from one resort to the next? I have a one night at SSR before a few at the BCV for the marathon this coming January and want to just get going in the daytime by dropping the bags off and checking in later in the day at the BCV.

Yes they will, but unlike with DME, you must be in your new room before bell services will bring you your luggage.

To the OP, I'm a big fan of split stays when I'm solo, but for a family, yes this is WAY too much moving around! I count 5 different stays in 13 nights. Cut out at least 2, 3 if you can. On my last solo trip, I did 3 different moves in 11 nights, and I was surprised afterwards when even I, the split-stay fan found it too much moving.

Should I simplify this or lengthen/shorten any parts of the stay to make it easier?

Answer to your question: YES
Was there a reason you booked it this way to start with? If it's all you could get, and you don't mind packing /unpacking and moving then stick with it! Personally, I try to avoid split stays!

We've done split stays every disney trip for the past few years. I love to try out different resorts!! Last September we did 8 nights in Florida - 2 nights at Universal, 3 nights at AKL, then drove to Captiva Island for 2 nights, then came back and did 1 night at AOA. The drive to the beach made it a little much, but the hotels and moving were fine. We did have our own car, so we just transported our luggage on our own.

Now if you asked my hubby, he will tell you that he hates split stays and never wants to do another one :rolleyes2 Unfortunately for him, I think we always will have to cause we love staying onsite at Universal almost as much as Disney!!

If you ask our family the answer is as little split as possible.
But that's because I have 2 mini me-s and that means mommy has to do all the packing and unpacking :headache:

When it was just the 2 of us moving resorts were not such a big deal. I assume as the kids get older it'll become less of a problem again because they will be responsible for their own packing/unpacking/laundry etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter