Mulan 2

Banzai

<font color=red>Is now single and available!<br><f
I was at www.imdb.com and saw that they are making Mulan 2! When did this happen? It does say that it will be direct to video.

Brad

"Rumor" has it that Disney will be cutting back new animated features to once every two or three years. In their place, direct-to-video sequels and movie versions of animated television series will be released three times a year. 'Peter Pan 2' is just about complete and 'Cinderella 2' will be out in the near future. There's also talk of 'Dumbo 2' was well as a film about The Seven Dwarves (without Snow White). While these films are made to be direct-to-video releases (and produced overseas by non-Disney animators), some of the better ones [sic] may be given a theatrical release.

This I think is a terrible mistake. All of these cheap, knock offs of the best Disney films only serve to make the Disney brand less desireable. I've seen all the ones out at the moment, but I'm *highly* unimpressed. The stories are preachy, the dialog is uninspired, the animation is mediocre.... I could go on, but you get the idea.

Somebody tell Eisner to kill this plan & just make high quality, beautifully drawn features & we'll all go home happy.

Sarangel

There’s a rumor that a VERY top animator at Disney told Eisner exactly that right to the man’s face, and right in front of the animation staff. If Feature Animation is “punished” for ‘Atlantis’ as the rumors go, he’s going to lead what little staff is left right over to Dreamworks. Disney’s building a whole new animation building at their Disney/MGM Studios – Paris; I wonder if there’s going to be anyone in the offices?

Eisner’s relation with the Feature Animation division has always been bad. For a while, he had Katzenberg to serve as a firewall between him and the animators. Now that The Midget is gone, there’s no one to gloss over the distain the two groups feel for each other. Some that followed Katezenberg tried to make the situation work (like Joe Roth), but the current guy is viewed as nothing but a yes-droid for Eisner (especially after what he did to ‘Dinosaur’). It’s truly sad how bad the situation has gotten.

I am going to be sick. The moment "Dumbo 2" hits the shelves is the last day I will spend a dime on Disney. I just can't stand to see them destroy this incredible arm of their brand. What the heck are they doing?

My kids all eagerly awaited "Little Mermaid 2". They were aghast at how bad it was. They just saw "Lady and the Tramp 2". My 12 year old daughter asked me why Disney was making bad sequels to wonderful films. She is the next generation of guest for them.

Maybe I am taking all of this toooooo personally.

If it hasn't been clear to people before, it should now be very clear and understandable that the present Disney run by Michael Ei$ner and his yes men is all about money. Don't get me wrong as I know it takes money to run such a company as the Walt Disney Company, but Disney is all based around money. What they do, they do it for the money and if they don't do something, most likely the would not have made enough money for it to be worth their effort. These cheap part 2 straight to video releases are a pefect example of the present mindset of Disney executives, "How can we make the most money with the least investment?" Now to add to this, people are buying and renting these sequels and as long as this happens, they are going to keep making these movies. Personally the only part two that I saw was Aladdin, and I rented it at that, but since I have only been shocked at the other straight to video releases. How do you make a second Beauty and the Beast? Wasn't the Beast human at the end of the movie? How do you make a second Cinderella, didn't they live happily ever after? How do you make a sequel to any classic movie? What Disney is now doing could be akin to a movie studio trying to make Casblanca 2. in addition to trying to make money off of a classic animation films popularity and name, they are not even being made up to the standards that I have come to know a Disney film by. At leats if they are going to do this, they should at least have the respect for the classics to make the quality of the animation somewhat close to the previous films. Basically my point is as long as people by these horrible part 2's, Disney's current management will keep having them made.

Panthius

Rumors are now circulating that 'Peter Pan 2: Back to Neverland' will be given a theatrical release around Spring Break 2002. This one was originaly planned for a direct-to-video release.

Disney is making these cruddy sequels simply because they make money. I believe Walt said something about how he would never make a sequel? Not sure.

They may release some theatrically since films like Recess: School's Out were supposed to be Straight to Video, but made lots of money when they were released into theaters. These cost very little to make bust still pull in millions at the box office, resulting in great profit$ for ei$ner.

Here's a scary thought for all of us...If Disney is creating sequels to all the classics, does this mean that they'll also be doing sequels to the "non" classics? Just imagine the fun with "The Great Mouse Detective 2" or the zany hijinx in "The Black Cauldron 2." Personally, I'd rather see a great animated film every two or three years instead of two or three straight to video releases each year.

lady

I believe Walt said something about how he would never make a sequel? Not sure.

In the "Walt Stuff" thread this topic was broached. I provided the following:
"I believe the fun is in building something in bringing new things to life. We never do the same thing twice. After we've finished a job....we head in another direction. We're always opening new doors." - Walt Disney

You do know about Walt and the Three Little Pigs story don't you? Seems one of Walt's early successes was the Three Little Pigs. So Walt set out to do what was even then standard practice in the industry. He produced a sequel. It BOMBED!!!! Taught Walt a valuable lesson. And for the rest of his life he carried a motto from that lesson. "YOU CAN'T TOP PIGS WITH PIGS!!" Now in all fairness, I can't remember if the right word is "follow" or "top", but the meaning should come through.

Hope this helps further your education of "Walt Stuff". You can never get enough.

PS: Father's day is approaching. I have requested "The Quotable Walt Disney". This is just fair warning!! ;)

I’d like to take a moment here to publicly apologize to everyone on DIS board for bringing up the book ‘The Quotable Walt Disney’ in front of DVC-Landbaron. It was a thoughtless act, performed in haste and without consideration of the consequences of my actions. For which I have so carelessly unleashed upon the innocent, I unreservedly and without hesitation accept full responsibility. I await your judgment.

;)

And for you Baron – page 15: “Our field of entertainment still has many new and exciting and wonderful things to bring to the restless public wanting variety and novelty in the movie theater. The only thing we should fear and be on constant guard against is getting bogged down – getting into the ruts of monotony and timeworn repetitions which the business of entertainment cannot long stand”.

Its okay AV, I've personally bought every copy of that book in the greater CHicago area. I am currently in talks with Barnes & Noble, AMazon and Borders to ensure that no-where on the internet will he be able to get such a book. I like to call it self preservation. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'd like to take a moment here to publicly apologize to everyone on DIS board for bringing up the book 'The Quotable Walt Disney' in front of DVC-Landbaron. It was a thoughtless act… Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
Too late!!
Its okay AV, I've personally bought every copy of that book in the greater Chicago area.
Too late!! Again. Word in the DVC house is that the book is already in hand!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I love the "You can't top pigs with pigs" quote!!! For those that are interested.....on the end of the latest release of Pinocchio (before the Gold version), they talk about Walt refusing to make a sequel for Snow White, and that he chose Pinocchio instead.....Dumbo 2 is indeeed in production from what I had read, but I am agast at the Peter Pan II that you have just mentioned, I knew nothing of it. What is next, are they going to make Tink speak? Some things are just WRONG! The Cinderella II trailer was enough to make me weep....the story was OVER! I don't want to know that Cindy and her Prince are having fertility problems, okay? It should be left to the imagination. I have no problem if they want to do sequels to features that came after Walt passed, but there is a line that should not be crossed....Walt created HIS features with a beginning, middle, and END! :mad: :mad: :mad:

There's more to come. I just heard about a pitch for another 'Jungle Book' and another 'Bambi' (what are we going to get - Bambi out to avenge his mother?).

In addition to the video sequels, the live action group has also started work on remaking some of the '60's & '70s films. Yet another remake of 'The Love Bug' has been in pre-production for a while and they've just hired a writer for 'Escape From Witch Mountain'. Others are in the works as well.

They're also developing several stories based on attractions. Besides 'The Country Bear Jamboree', versions of 'Pirate of the Carribean', 'Haunted Mansion' and 'Big Thunder' are in the works. Granted that 10% of the spec scripts that come to Disney start with:

FADE IN:

SOUND OVER BLACK:

DISEMBODIED VOICE
When hinges creak in doorless chambers...

It's just no one every took them seriously before.

"I believe Walt said something about how he would never make a sequel?"

Walt made sequels - the Davy Crockett movies, Son of Flubber. Were some of the Herbie movies done before his death? Certainly there were sequels soon after his death - Return to Witch Mountain, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again.

If there was a blanket prohibition against sequels, we would never had had a Toy Story 2 - the second highest money making animated picture (and a good film too). My kids (6 & 4) have loved all the direct to video sequels. I personally like Rescuers Down Under better than the Rescuers, and Pocohauntus 2 better than the first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter