Mugs at Multiple resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

magsmom

DIS Veteran
I just made reservations Pop Centuy and Port Orleans (10 day total). What is the policy regarding mugs when you are staying at 2 different resorts during your stay? I don't have to buy a 2nd mug at Port Orleans, do I?

What do others think about this? I remember when I stayed at CBR last August there were guests with other mugs from other resorts (and older mugs, at that, as well).

Confused, and would appreciate any input you could give.

Sorry the mugs are only good at the resort they wre purchased at. There are signs at most resort food courts advising you of this. That's why they have the resort name on teh mug rather than a generic "WDW".

Will a CM stop you for using teh mug purchased at another resort? That's a chance you need to take.

Anne

I really wouldnt worry to much. I brought my 3 ASMusic and we bought 1 ASMovies mug this summer. We did see other Disney mugs. To be honest it was so BUSY that nobody noticed or would care. I have asked and they said it was fine. Plus its all one trip. So either use all from one hotel, or buy 1 dif. one. I REALLY would just go , have a GREAT time and dont t worry. Be Happy.

Perhaps I should just keep the receipt and show it is from the same trip if I am asked???

Please report back on your mug experiences.

Until the first person is denied a refill, all the signs in the World, as well as the cute logos on the souvenir mugs, mean nothing. I say this with all due respect to other posters who base their opinions on what they've read. I used to be one of you!

But the real Disney policy is found in the WDW food courts. In my opinion, Disney makes money whether you use the Coke machine at resort A or resort B. As I've posted on a recent thread here, I'll be going to WDW soon and I plan to find out firsthand. :)

Originally posted by billybaruch1
Please report back on your mug experiences.

Until the first person is denied a refill, all the signs in the World, as well as the cute logos on the souvenir mugs, mean nothing. I say this with all due respect to other posters who base their opinions on what they've read. I used to be one of you!

But the real Disney policy is found in the WDW food courts. In my opinion, Disney makes money whether you use the Coke machine at resort A or resort B. As I've posted on a recent thread here, I'll be going to WDW soon and I plan to find out firsthand. :)

Actually there was a man turned away at the Poly last October for trying to fill a different resort mug. The CM informed him that he had to BUY the Poly mug if he wanted the refills. Of course he left in a huff that made him look like a bigger moron then the one he already was! He made a complete scene but the CM refused to let him get a refill. I wa actually glad the CM stood up for the rules for once.:D

Okay! Now that's information. It's secondhand, but I don't doubt it. It's too bad I can't be the first one to be denied! :mad:

Here's something I can only speculate on. To you the man appeared to be a moron. But I suggest to you that to Disney he was thousands of dollars a year in park tickets, resort accomodations, food and souvenirs. You didn't happen to catch any of the conversation did you? I wonder if this resort guest was told by ANOTHER CM that his mug was good at any Disney resort? If so, I believe Disney may be "penny-wise" and "thousands of dollars-foolish." :cool:

Thanks for the info. Now I'm looking for the second person to be denied! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Originally posted by billybaruch1
Okay! Now that's information. It's secondhand, but I don't doubt it. It's too bad I can't be the first one to be denied! :mad:

Here's something I can only speculate on. To you the man appeared to be a moron. But I suggest to you that to Disney he was thousands of dollars a year in park tickets, resort accomodations, food and souvenirs. You didn't happen to catch any of the conversation did you? I wonder if this resort guest was told by ANOTHER CM that his mug was good at any Disney resort? If so, I believe Disney may be "penny-wise" and "thousands of dollars-foolish." :cool:

Thanks for the info. Now I'm looking for the second person to be denied! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I did not hear if he had been told differently. I only heard him ranting that he only wanted a coffee and he paid for the mug. He really did look like he needed a cup of coffee because he looked very tired and grouchy! This was early in the morning and he looked like he just climbed out of bed. As far as what he might have been told in the past there was a very large sign over his head that stated the current use at THAT resort so unless he was illiterate, he could read it. Using the excuse of what he had been told before when he bought the mug would have just been an excuse. After all there are many people that remember when pool hopping was allowed. It doesn't excuse them to hop to another pool now simply because it was something they were told they could do before. There are signs all over the resorts that state pools are for resort guests only just like the mug usage signs. I feel the same about the mugs. As far as spending all that money at WDW, I do it 2-3 times a year and I would feel no differently. If anything I would be a cheapskate to sponge another $10 worth of free drinks when I just spent $4000 for the trip! Disney is a choice, not a sentence. If you want to play, you pay.

I don't disagree with your reasoning. I was unaware pool hopping used to be allowed. I'll defer to Disney to define a consistent mug policy, but until they do, I see a big difference between a family taking up pool space and a "mugperson" fillin' 'em up.

As far as spending all that money at WDW, I was trying to see how Disney gains by saving a few cups of coffee while potentially losing a customer for life. It's hardly relevant here whether we customers are cheapskate sponges or Disney is. You still have not proven the man was intellectually challenged or illiterate or anything else about his state of mind, except that he "looked tired and grouchy." Walk a mile in his shoes and you may be more tolerant. The key for me would be what he knew and when he knew it. (Sorry, Nixon reference, ha!) I've always said to let your conscience be your guide. You won't go wrong.

I'm openminded enough to accept new information. So far, it's about, oh, everyone, vs. the one you've cited. Does one make a trend? Maybe the "grouch" complained and the CM was let go - in the absence of information to the contrary, that's a possibility. Were there other refill denials before this one? How about any that were more recent?

Thanks again for your help and have lots of Disney days!

I think by posting the signs they have defined a consistent policy.These are the rules.If he didn't know before that when he was told he knew then and should have just bought a cup of coffee.When I bought my original Polynesian mug I was told I could use it on subsequent trips.When we came back for the next trip I asked again because I had heard somewhere this was not allowed.I was told they could only be used on the trip you bought them and they were probably going to start putting stickers on the bottom of them with a date.I was very disappointed but if that was the rules we bought new ones.If everyone could keep bringing back old mugs and use any mug at any resort they would lose alot of money on drinks after a while and pass it on to everyone in another way such as raising ticket prices.I know we spend thousands of dollars on every trip but I love Disney and would never stop coming here over something like this.Its just not that important,we've had much bigger problems at Disney and keep coming back.Im not trying to start an argument.I am just expressing my opinion and I respect everyone has a right to theirs.Everyone have a great vacation and enjoy yourselves no matter what you decide.

I heard a CM at CSR say to a person in the food court with an old DxL mug that they could not use it there. You can use AS mugs at all of the AS resorts but you cannot use them elsewhere. You can use an old DxL mug at PORS but not elsewhere. These are the rules and it seems like WDW is starting to inforce them. I've also heard that WDW will be putting a bar code on the bottom of all new mugs. The waterparks have bar codes on their mugs and you pay a small fee to refill on your next visit.

I like the idea of a small fee to use them on another visit rather than have to buy a new one.It seems like a good compromise.

I saw someone turned away from filling an old mug at the Grand Floridian. This would have been in January 2002.

Anne

As far as spending all that money at WDW, I was trying to see how Disney gains by saving a few cups of coffee while potentially losing a customer for life.
Personally, I'd like to actually meet a person that would swear off WDW just because they weren't allowed to re-use and old mug or a mug from another resort. I'm sure that would be a very interesting encounter!

On our recent visit to POR this past July, we saw LOTS of mugs being used that were either an old design or not from that resort at all. This was the 1st time I had seen so many. We, as usual, purchased 5 new mugs for this trip even though we had recently purchased mugs during our trip in May. I did ask a CM at the register why they don't enforce the mug rules that are posted in the food court. He said that some people were told when they purchased their mugs that they were good for all resorts and for every visit. Therefore, they don't enforce the "rules" for now. I so badly want to save the $50 this November but don't know if I can bring myself to use a mug from another resort. We will have spent $150 in mugs in 6 months (3 visits). For us it is still worth the money because we do spend a lot of time at the resort and eat most of our meals in the food court. I would feel like I was stealing if I brought an old mug from home. I guess my Mom should be proud!;)

After all there are many people that remember when pool hopping was allowed.

The big difference is, I wasn't told I could pool hop forever (although some who bought DVC swore they were told that!).

Disney admits freely when you talk on the phone to them, that many cm's do (still) and have in the past told people the mugs were good forever. They also admit that last year, many started saying they were good at any resort. Although it's not the official rule, the "suits" don't tseem to care, and in fact have been known to encourage it. You'll never see thousands bringing back the mugs..most people never even think of it.

I'd like to see if anyone besides skiwee and ducklite has ever paid attention enough to hear anyone being turned down. We brought out mugs over on the boat to Ft Wilderness (they were full when we started). We were offered refills at FW when the mugs were noticed in our hands..even though they were POR mugs. We refused, because we wanted to wash them and put them in the backpack, but we were surprise by the offer.

Originally posted by DMRick
The big difference is, I wasn't told I could pool hop forever (although some who bought DVC swore they were told that!).

Disney admits freely when you talk on the phone to them, that many cm's do (still) and have in the past told people the mugs were good forever. They also admit that last year, many started saying they were good at any resort. Although it's not the official rule, the "suits" don't tseem to care, and in fact have been known to encourage it. You'll never see thousands bringing back the mugs..most people never even think of it.

I'd like to see if anyone besides skiwee and ducklite has ever paid attention enough to hear anyone being turned down. We brought out mugs over on the boat to Ft Wilderness (they were full when we started). We were offered refills at FW when the mugs were noticed in our hands..even though they were POR mugs. We refused, because we wanted to wash them and put them in the backpack, but we were surprise by the offer.

How many people does one need to hear it from for you to be satisfied? I think you will only be satisfied if you hear it for your self. I really don't care what some were told when they bought the mug. I too was told that at the WL in 2002 but I KNEW it wasn't right. How did I know? Because the 3 x 5 foot sign above the CM's head clearly said differently! Some people will only hear what they want to hear. This really doesn't affect me now but I'm sure down the road Disney will get rid of the mug program because of all that chose to abuse it. Then folks like myself who truly follow the rule will be the ones affected most. Not the ones that have weaseled $100 worth of drinks out of an initial measly $10 investment! How pathetic.l :rolleyes: Flame away!

I have to disagree with the logic of comparing reusing mugs to pool hopping. Before I purchased my mug at ASMo in May 1999, I asked when and where I could use the mug. Specifically I asked because we were staying at ASSp, but I like the mug at ASMo better so I wanted to purchase that one. The CM told me it was good at any resort on Disney property for the life of the mug. Based upon this information, I chose to then purchase a mug, since I knew I could reuse it not only for that stay but for future stays. If they had said it was only good at ASMo and only on that visit, I definitely would not have gotten the mug as it would not have been worth it for me since I never drink enough at the resort on any given trip to make the mug purchase worthwhile. So when I purchased my mug, I entered into a sort of contract with Disney that my mug would be good forever and at any resort. And no, there were no signs back then that said anything otherwise, about the mug only being good for that stay. With pool hopping, however, unless someone who checked in while you were allowed to pool hop is still in a Disney resort, then they have to abide by the new rules of wherever they check-in. If I bought a new mug now then I would have to abide by the new policies governing mugs at the time I purchase mine.

Additionally, I have asked at AKL and GF on a recent rip if I could use my mug from ASMo and was told yes on every occasion (and I asked each time I went to fill it up, not just the 1st time). I didn't even mention that I was told initially that I could, they just said "sure, go ahead".

Aren't these the same CM who tell us that the windows in the Swan and Dolphin are black and the rooms removable because they were going to run the monorail through them?

Originally posted by Geoff_M
Personally, I'd like to actually meet a person that would swear off WDW just because they weren't allowed to re-use and old mug or a mug from another resort. I'm sure that would be a very interesting encounter!

I believe "leaving in a huff" and possibly leaving an impression with other guests that one is a "moron" or a "cheapskate sponge" just might, shall we say, reduce the magical-ness of a Disney vacation. Many people are sensitive to being thought of as shoplifters when, in their mind, they are nothing of the kind.

When Disney reneges it's a cost-cutting measure designed to avoid future price increases. Oh thank you, kind sirs, can we have another? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter