• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mug Question

LuvsDragonflies

DIS Veteran
So, I have a mug I bought in 1996 at the Caribbean Resort. Am I grandfathered in for free drinks for life? Were there stipulations back then? I just dug it out of the moving box and it made me wonder. :upsidedow

So, I have a mug I bought in 1996 at the Caribbean Resort. Am I grandfathered in for free drinks for life? Were there stipulations back then? I just dug it out of the moving box and it made me wonder. :upsidedow

Pretty sure the mugs now have a chip in them with the dates of your stay on them. The fountain won't dispense if the dates don't match up.

I don't buy them anymore because it bugs me, lol. I wonder what they would do if I brought it in to use, give me the hairy eyeball? tell me no? call the constable? or just toss me to the crowd? or, would I be dragged to interrogation by The Mouse?

AFAIK, the mugs were sold for use during your "length of stay". Once your stay was over, that's it.

Apparently, many people were bringing back old mugs to reuse on subsequent visits, causing the new program with the chips.

AFAIK, the mugs were sold for use during your "length of stay". Once your stay was over, that's it.

Apparently, many people were bringing back old mugs to reuse on subsequent visits, causing the new program with the chips.
Someone correct me if i am wrong. I thought before they were "length of stay" they were sold as "free drinks for life".

I don't buy them anymore because it bugs me, lol. I wonder what they would do if I brought it in to use, give me the hairy eyeball? tell me no? call the constable? or just toss me to the crowd? or, would I be dragged to interrogation by The Mouse?

You wouldn't be able to use it even if you did bring it and try it.

If you put the mug under the spout nothing will come out.

The new mugs have chips in them and when you set it under the spout there is a digital display on the machine and it comes up with the date your mug will stop working.

DD and I were at WDW in September and bought the mugs to use for the length of our stay.

Also, I think you have to wait something like two and a half minutes between refills. I don't know why that is, but maybe to try and stop people from filling larger mugs/jugs with them, or sharing? :confused3

Someone correct me if i am wrong. I thought before they were "length of stay" they were sold as "free drinks for life".
I was just having this conversation with my Mother in Law over the weekend. The entire family went to WDW for the Turn of the Century, we all bought "Lifetime" mugs at the All Star resort we stayed. MIL said she used her All-Star mug recently without an issue.

We took our All-Star mugs back in 2005 when we stayed at Music but have not been back to an All-Star since.

I know the mug debates get heated which IMO is just stupid but I did purchase a "lifetime" of refills - whether or not that was a reasonable expectation is not relevant. Disney sold me a "lifetime" as a marketing ploy and regardless of any new policy I personally feel that if I choose to schlepp my mugs back to the resort of purchase, Disney is obligated to honor the selling point which included lifetime refills.

Wow, I never knew they sold mug with lifetime refills!

When did that stop?

I also think they should honor that, but have no idea how they would do it. They would have to give you a new mug with a chip in it and somehow label it as a lifetime mug. I really don't think there would be a way to do that though, too much confusion and how do you prove it was a lifetime mug? Interesting to say the least!

I was just having this conversation with my Mother in Law over the weekend. The entire family went to WDW for the Turn of the Century, we all bought "Lifetime" mugs at the All Star resort we stayed. MIL said she used her All-Star mug recently without an issue.

We took our All-Star mugs back in 2005 when we stayed at Music but have not been back to an All-Star since.

I know the mug debates get heated which IMO is just stupid but I did purchase a "lifetime" of refills - whether or not that was a reasonable expectation is not relevant. Disney sold me a "lifetime" as a marketing ploy and regardless of any new policy I personally feel that if I choose to schlepp my mugs back to the resort of purchase, Disney is obligated to honor the selling point which included lifetime refills.

How long ago did your MIL use her mug? Was it before they made the change to the machines in the food courts?

I can totally understand someone wanting to use their mug if it was sold to them with "lifetime refills" and no expiration date whatsoever. But I don't see how they could as it is now, with the chip system in the machine. Like a PP said, they would have to give you a new mug and somehow label it as "lifetime refills."

I actually like buying a new mug with each visit, since we don't go all that often and they change the mugs from time to time so we always get new designs. I like using them at home, camping, etc. :)

And even at $17.99 I still think it's a good value for a full week's use.

If they were sold as lifetime refills, you should get lifetime refills.

Did anyone keep their receipt? I would imagine they would honor it by giving each guest a chipped mug for their stay each return trip.

You are correct. Unfortunately, the mugs don't say that on them.

Unless they have been changed .. They do say "for length of stay" right on the mug. So unless they have different ones for the single day use and someone argues that fact what would happen??

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The original mugs with unlimited refills had that imprinted on the sides - and I threw them out years ago. :( For Caribbean Beach they were bright, solid colors with a yellow/bright imprint on them.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mww3BT7otsNwFNSfl5MpKzw.jpg

Maybe they would honor it. I mean they must be able to get soda without the chip, what about folks that don't buy the length of stay mug and just buy soda or coffee by the cup?

Maybe they would honor it. I mean they must be able to get soda without the chip, what about folks that don't buy the length of stay mug and just buy soda or coffee by the cup?

There is a chip in disposable cups too. It tells you how many refills you have left, and how often you can refill.

Sent from me.

We have several Life-time mugs from several different resorts. They were resort specific. I am fairly certain that if I returned to say Beach Club
with my forever refillable mugs that they would find a way to accommodate me.

If something's wrong a CM comes over with a card. Puts the card on the doohickey where you put the cup and than you can fill your drink. But that would be annoying to have to find a CM every time. (It was annoying enough the few times I had to do it.)

I don't know what else they could do other than give you a new cup for free but that seems unlikely. But ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I've never bought the mugs or wanted to. But, i've always had the opinion that anyone who bought mugs when it was suppose to be free drinks for life should still be honored as such.

I bought the mugs at Port Orleans back in the 1990's. I think that since I bought them with the stipulation that it was free drinks for life then I should still get them. Not fair to change the rules after purchase......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter