Mt Rainier or Mt St Helens?

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Hi

We have a whole day free to drive from Portland to Seattle. We want to visit Snoqualmie just before we head to Seattle but we don't know what else to do 'on route'.

We were thinking of going through part of the Mt Rainier National Park but going down Stevens Canyon, then the 123 and 410. Makes the whole driving distance about 6hours (plus stops).

But I've read a few posts where people have said that you should visit Mt St Helen's instead of Mt Rainier.

We don't have time to do both so which would you chose and why?

Thanks

I've been to Rainier a number of times, and it's always good unless the fog or clouds come in, but I think St Helens is the best to see, especially if it's your first time. The vegitation has been coming back, but you can see the scope of devistation that the volcano created, and it is amazing.
I was 12 years old and 60 miles away when it first erupted on May 18, 1980. The winds were blowing to the east (I'm west of the mountain), so it was easy to see the enormous cloud of ash billowing high into the air. On May 25th it erupted again and left 2 inches of ash on our town, as the wind was blowing the oposite direction.
The trees laying down like piles of toothpicks, and a massive pile of logs still resting in Spirit Lake. There's still activity in the crater, but the geologist believe that it's safe to be near... For now.

I would do Mt. St Helens also because of the history. I would try to go to one of the visitor centers to see pictures of the destruction from 1980. Fascinating!

Mt. St. Helens would be my choice. I went the summer of 98' and again the summer of 02' and in just those 4 short years so much vegetation came back. It was so much more beautiful in 02' I can only imagine what it would look like now. Mt. Rainer is beautiful. I can't explain it I just like Mt. St Helens better. I wish I could post my comparison pictures. If you google it I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

If you don't have much time, Mt St Helens is a quick trip. They really don't have much in terms of services or dining though.

The Johnston Observatory has a movie theater showing a movie. The end is pretty dramatic though (I won't spoil what they do).

If I were looking for a place to spend four days, it would easily be Mt Rainier. There's considerably more to do there and the facilities that make it possible to stay multiple days. If it were a quick trip while I'm already traveling on I-5, MSH is much less time and a pretty good trip for the history.

Personally, I think MSH looks a bit odd now. Not terribly attractive after it lost 1000 ft and half of it slid. It's barren and looks devastated. To this day much of the vegetation hasn't grown back yet. I think it would be more about the history and the dramatic change. Of course if Mt Rainier blows its top any time soon, I guess we could say the same thing. I remember camping at Mt Rainier and seeing all the signs pointing that we were in a geologically active area and were camping at our own risk.

Unfortunately we don't have four days :( We're basically going to go on route from Portland to Snoqualmie/Seattle. So it's a case of shorter day drive with stop at the Observatory, etc for MSH or LONG day drive with stops as we drive through some of the Mt Rainer roads.

Unfortunately we don't have four days :( We're basically going to go on route from Portland to Snoqualmie/Seattle. So it's a case of shorter day drive with stop at the Observatory, etc for MSH or LONG day drive with stops as we drive through some of the Mt Rainer roads.

I'm not knocking it as a short trip on the way from Portland. The history is fascinating as is the extent of the damage that's still present after over 30 years. There's a visitor center near I-5 operated by Washington State Parks (used to be USFS before it was turned over). They have some exhibits, but you need to pay an admission fee to enter the exhibit area unless you've got the park pass for Washington state. The US Forest Service closed off their only year-round visitor center (I understand it's open weekends now but with almost nothing except a gift shop and theater), but Johnston Ridge Observatory is open during the summer. Last I remember the fee to enter was $8 for adults, but included if you have a valid federal recreation pass.

As for the appearance, here's a pair of before and after photos:

Mtsthelen_ba.jpg

I visited a few years ago, and it looks pretty similar to what the photo from after the eruption indicates. There's still lots of downed trees around the observatory.

Wow, kinda amazing how much the top has changed. Thanks for the input. I think I'll have a chat with my travelling bud, show him all of this and see what he wants to do. Thanks :)

My vote is for Mt St Helens! We love it! We go at least once a year. Its so beautiful :) Good luck with whatever you choose.

What time of year? Mt. Rainier is so beautiful in July-August. Fantastic views and wildflowers if you go around Chinook Pass also. But if the clouds come in, you can be right in the mountain and not see the peak. :/ Paradise Lodge is a good place to eat also. Great visitors center.

What time of year? Mt. Rainier is so beautiful in July-August. Fantastic views and wildflowers if you go around Chinook Pass also. But if the clouds come in, you can be right in the mountain and not see the peak. :/ Paradise Lodge is a good place to eat also. Great visitors center.

It'll be sept 18th x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter