MSEP will end September 1st

I really don't understand how the start of Halloween has anything to do with the ability to run the MSEP for a few more days, at least through Labor day weekend. I understand changing over the fireworks show, but come on. This is just a cost cutting measure.

I am planning to be at Disneyland on 9/2 and was ready hoping to see MSEP with my twin 3 year olds as I think they would love it!

We booked the Plaza Inn dining package 9/2 hoping to have reserved seating for the show. Now that MSEP isn’t happening 9/2, what would this package be for? A new parade?
It is running until September 1st

You’ll just miss it 😩

It is running until September 1st

You’ll just miss it 😩
I know - super disappointed we are going to miss it by all of 1 day! Especially since I was so excited to get the parade dining package, which still seems weird that they let you book a parade dining package for a parade that no longer exists.

We are there the day before too, but planned to go to California Adventure that day. We could switch up our plans if we really want to do MSEP, but I think I prefer to end with DL, and I find parade crowds less than ideal normally, and I would think the last day of it’s run could be even more crowded than typical.

The reason I think Disneyland has decided to end the Main Street Electrical Parade so soon is because I think Disneyland spent way too much money bringing this iconic parade back and when you look at it nightime entertainment is a huge moneymaker for Disneyland because nightime entertainment makes more money than daytime entertainment. And when you look at it putting the whole parade together takes a tiring effort because you have the float operators the lighting crew singers dancers actors to play the characters and special effects crew working long hours rehearsing dancers and singers practicing the dancing and singing of the parade and the lighting crew testing everything to make sure it goes well with no problems whatsoever and so Disneyland had no choice but to retire it. Why I also think Disneyland is retiring the Main Street Electrical Parade is so they can start preparing to promote the Christmas parade that comes after Halloween in November and so I think this was done so Disneyland could promote more shows and pay attention to Halloween based events. I noticed that this is the start of a new habit that Disneyland has with it's parades. Like when Disneyland debuted Magic Happens it was destined to be a smash hit parade but when Disneyland closed due to the pandemic Magic Happens was never ever brought back when Disneyland reopened and Magic Happens was the talk of the town. About the only successful parades Disneyland had were in the 90's when they had the SpectroMagic parade and the Very Merry Christmas Parade but ever since those two parades ended their runs Disneyland has never had a successful long running parade in history since the Main Street Electrical Parade. As for Disneyland Forever I think they will replace it with a better show but have no fireworks and have a show with projections from Disney movies and have performers sing iconic Disney songs and feature dancers dancing with the characters on a huge stage. But retiring the Main Street Electrical Parade so soon is a odd thing to do especially since the parade began in April

The reason I think Disneyland has decided to end the Main Street Electrical Parade so soon is because I think Disneyland spent way too much money bringing this iconic parade back and when you look at it nightime entertainment is a huge moneymaker for Disneyland because nightime entertainment makes more money than daytime entertainment. And when you look at it putting the whole parade together takes a tiring effort because you have the float operators the lighting crew singers dancers actors to play the characters and special effects crew working long hours rehearsing dancers and singers practicing the dancing and singing of the parade and the lighting crew testing everything to make sure it goes well with no problems whatsoever and so Disneyland had no choice but to retire it. Why I also think Disneyland is retiring the Main Street Electrical Parade is so they can start preparing to promote the Christmas parade that comes after Halloween in November and so I think this was done so Disneyland could promote more shows and pay attention to Halloween based events. I noticed that this is the start of a new habit that Disneyland has with it's parades. Like when Disneyland debuted Magic Happens it was destined to be a smash hit parade but when Disneyland closed due to the pandemic Magic Happens was never ever brought back when Disneyland reopened and Magic Happens was the talk of the town. About the only successful parades Disneyland had were in the 90's when they had the SpectroMagic parade and the Very Merry Christmas Parade but ever since those two parades ended their runs Disneyland has never had a successful long running parade in history since the Main Street Electrical Parade. As for Disneyland Forever I think they will replace it with a better show but have no fireworks and have a show with projections from Disney movies and have performers sing iconic Disney songs and feature dancers dancing with the characters on a huge stage. But retiring the Main Street Electrical Parade so soon is a odd thing to do especially since the parade began in April
That is the opposite of a good reason to stop it. If they spend lots of money on it then it would make sense for them to run it as long as possible to get a return on their investment.

I'm so sad about this as I'll be visiting Sept 14.
I guess the only good thing is that the parade has been around for 50 years so eventually it will return to one of the coasts. I'll have to catch it next time if I'm not too old and decrepit by then .....

They did not completely re do this parade for it to never show again lol!
Unless I misunderstood your reply; they did not 'completely redo' this parade. The ending float/segment is new but overall it's the same parade itself (and a huge cutback number of performers.)

Kinda sad Paint the Night was such a failure in the eyes of Disney, not guests. I really think MSEP needs to be fully updated or retired.... still love the soundtrack though!

Just booked a trip with the primary purpose being MSEP. Yes, I know I’m crazy lol
That's not crazy at all! I thought about the same thing. If work didn't interfere and we didn't already have two trips booked (October and New Year's Eve), I totally would.

I will just have to live vicariously through everyone else!

Reactions: MPD
I was considering coming out Labor Day weekend, specifically to see MSEP at its original home. But I just couldn't talk myself into the expense of airfare and rental car without knowing for sure it was going to be running, so made plans for WDW instead (live in GA, so no airfare or rental car needed). Glad I did, since Sept 2 would have been the absolute earliest I could have made it into the parks and it'll be over by then. Here's hoping they decide to send it back to FL for a while...hey, a person can dream!

Just booked a trip with the primary purpose being MSEP. Yes, I know I’m crazy lol
Not crazy at all. I did the same thing in 2016 when they announced it was leaving WDW. My first trip to the Magic Kingdom was in 1981 when I was a few months shy of 3 years old. The ONLY thing that I remember about that trip was the parade and being scared of Elliott when he blew smoke. I also grew up listening to the music on the WDW record that we had. When I saw it for the first time in 2010, for the first time since 1981, I actually teared up. MSEP has a special place in my heart.

We considered the same thing even though we just got home from Disneyland two weeks ago. Luckily we watched MSEP 4 times while we were there!

:)

Reactions: MPD
I discussed this with my mom and what Mom thinks Disneyland will do is retire it and then bring back the Main Street Electrical Parade next year as a summer only parade. It is a shock to people that Disneyland promoted the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade like anything with dozens of commercials and then they announce the retirement of the parade so soon. The thing is with Disneyland and parades is that people like them because they expect them to have the same quality as Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade minus the Broadway shows and balloons. But you might think that with Disneyland promoting the parade's comeback with exclusive merchandise such as clothing coffee mugs Elliott plushies and more the parade could've lasted a lot longer. I also think Disneyland will put the Main Street Electrical Parade merchandise on clearance and a lot of people will buy a lot of merchandise quickly. But I hope Disneyland puts another great parade in it's place

That was a crazy short run.
Hoping it comes to WDW next or back to DL at some point!
Bummed I missed this run but we had a newborn and it just wasn’t feasible.

I wonder with the ages of some of the floats, that they need to cut it short for mechanical reasons?

I wonder with the ages of some of the floats, that they need to cut it short for mechanical reasons?
Doubtful. It’s been marketed as a limited time offering. I figured it would run through Labor Day, but I’m not in the least bit shocked with the end date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter