MSEP to end Oct. 9 - Parade moves to Disneyland for a "limited time"

I think the music would have been better without Baroque Hoedown on top of it? Or without the pop song? Not sure. I'm also not a big Cars fan. But I'm sure it's better in person, most parades and shows are
I saw it last summer in person and it was amazing. The technology was so much more advanced.

13 days would be far too much to spend only at DLR. Without a car you can still bus or Uber to Knotts Berry Farm 5 miles away for 1 day. There is a direct bus to Universal Studios for 1 or 2 days. 4/5 days is perfect for an unhurried relaxed stay only at DLR. There are quite a few other sites to see in LA by taxi, uber, shuttle, bus or train that could take up the remainder of your stay.
Hmm. I wonder what transportation options are available for the San Diego Zoo or for Palm Springs.

Hmm. I wonder what transportation options are available for the San Diego Zoo or for Palm Springs.
The train station is next to Angel Stadium and you can ride to San Diego on one of the coastal trains.

The traffic between Anaheim and SD is not bad. I drive from the Central Valley to SD quite often to visit my DD. You can easily rent a car in DTD and have a nice day trip.

You are not the only one. I've watched the video a few times...ugh. Not a fan. The music is grating and not enough classic characters. I'm sure it is better in person though.

I agree, the music is not my favorite at all. I like the nod to Baroque Hoedown, but the rave-like music overall is just not my style. The floats, though, are absolutely gorgeous in person. Seeing Mack from Cars come down the parade route (even though Cars is not a favorite movie of mine) is just awesome.

The train station is next to Angel Stadium and you can ride to San Diego on one of the coastal trains.

The traffic between Anaheim and SD is not bad. I drive from the Central Valley to SD quite often to visit my DD. You can easily rent a car in DTD and have a nice day trip.
I agree about the traffic b/w Anaheim and SD. The DLR team gave us great advice on timing our trip down to SD and back to avoid rush hour, and that helped SO much. We had wonderful full days at both Sea World and the SD Zoo, and yet didn't spend a huge amount of time stuck in traffic (We drove down the day we went to the SD Zoo, and drove back the day we went to Sea World).

I think avoiding the rush hour traffic is the key to driving around SoCal. It may mean sacrificing some time at your destination, if you're going back and forth from Anaheim in the same day, but it's worth it to have a less frustrating driving experience.

I agree, the music is not my favorite at all. I like the nod to Baroque Hoedown, but the rave-like music overall is just not my style. The floats, though, are absolutely gorgeous in person. Seeing Mack from Cars come down the parade route (even though Cars is not a favorite movie of mine) is just awesome.
I agree! I've seen Paint the Night twice now and Mack is impressive ~ even for a native Californian freeway driver! ;)

We first saw PTN last summer a few days prior to DL's 60th so it was in pristine condition and was magnificent. This past May, during the Tink 1/2 marathon weekend, ironically the complete Tink unit was missing. I had been looking forward to that unit because a young boy next to us was ready with his wand to change the colors of the fairies as they came by. I felt badly for him when Tink and friends were MIA.

And, I still have no recall of the music ~ wasn't very memorable compared to Baroque Hoedown.

You are not the only one. I've watched the video a few times...ugh. Not a fan. The music is grating and not enough classic characters. I'm sure it is better in person though.
I've seen it twice and it is fabulous, IMO. I think it's the best night time parade I've ever seen. I would watch this parade every night if I could. I also love the music since it's a modified Baroque Hoedown.

Last edited:
I think the moving of this parade is to also force Guests out of Magic Kingdom at night. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios both have new nighttime offerings and yet Magic Kingdom is the park that is packed at night. With Rivers of Light opening later this year this will be a way to get Guests over there.

I think the moving of this parade is to also force Guests out of Magic Kingdom at night. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios both have new nighttime offerings and yet Magic Kingdom is the park that is packed at night. With Rivers of Light opening later this year this will be a way to get Guests over there.

Ah, but a new report (out of Fox News so who knows) indicates that ROL might not be open until after the fall - http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/08/15/disney-world-gives-animal-kingdom-night-off.html. They're saying AK hours will NOT be full nighttime hours. Again, nothing confirmed, but if this is the case, then Fall/Early Winter won't have too much in the way of nighttime entertainment options outside of Epcot and DS. Of course, Disney could change and extend the hours and include all nighttime entertainment at AK other than ROL/Jungle Book, but what's with all this uncertainty?

I just know that a nighttime parade (Spectro or MSEP) is a magical experience for guests at MK. A parade contains those kind of moments that convert guests from one-timers to returnees. I will be sad when the day comes that the Disney brand means "money grab" and not "magic" to the general public.

This is SO true! My husband's first time at WDW was our honeymoon in 1996. I had to do some convincing to get him to agree to a WDW honeymoon. But, on our first night there we saw MSEP, and he turned into a kid. He looked at me about 5 minutes into the parade, and said, "We are coming here for the rest of our lives!"... So yeah... a nighttime parade IS a magical experience. Flash forward 20 years, and we're taking our 38th trip in October!

But they close so early, compared to MK. And with all the parties guest have no where to go. HS closed at 7:30 and AK hours haven't been extended (except for the first week in October$

Ah, but a new report (out of Fox News so who knows) indicates that ROL might not be open until after the fall - http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/08/15/disney-world-gives-animal-kingdom-night-off.html. They're saying AK hours will NOT be full nighttime hours. Again, nothing confirmed, but if this is the case, then Fall/Early Winter won't have too much in the way of nighttime entertainment options outside of Epcot and DS. Of course, Disney could change and extend the hours and include all nighttime entertainment at AK other than ROL/Jungle Book, but what's with all this uncertainty?
My guess is Fox doesn't know that park hours are only extended about a month or so out. The October and November hours shown now are not the final hours.

If all goes as they are hoping for Rivers of Light will be open by the busy holiday season. In the mean time they are always wishing you will visit Disney Springs on evenings when the parks are not open as late.

I agree, I think this might be a way to encourage people to go to DAK at night once RoL is up and running. As well as Disney Springs. Oh, and the parties of course ;) I also suspect that the castle show is a factor...they added that a few years ago. Who knows, maybe that was the replacement for the night parade. I don't think a new parade is planned. These things aren't done in secret, there are always leaks. If we haven't heard anything, it's because there is nothing planned IMO

I think they are going to try and sell as many party tickets as they can and getting rid of the evening competition will probably get more of those tickets sold ASAP as people look at changing their plans. Once they get above a certain percentage of ticket sales they will quietly add evening Holiday parades October-1st week of Jan to please the majority of the holiday visitors at a busy time when they need Magic that accomodates thousands of people at a time. Nothing during the down time in Jan-Feb and a new evening parade right before Spring crowds. Every year they dilute what is offered at the parties so this won't be a shock to anyone really and whoever complains will be offered a refund on party tickets (which they'll sell out anyway) or a few extra fast passes.

We are headed mid-January and are preparing ourselves that we won't have AK night hours and no night time parade at MK. Its a bummer, but we will still be at Disney which is better than not.

It seems I may now split my trip and spend several days at Universal now. I really didn't think I would do that or even want to but I can't justify spending more than a week at WDW when many of my October nights are not open late and do not offer entertainment. If ROL doesn't work out, HS is a shell and hours haven't extended and no evening parade - Universal is calling our names.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter