MS CM arrested?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Has anyone heard about a member services rep being arrested for stealing credit card info? When I was at WDW last week, there was a story on the local news about the arrest of a MS CM whose job it was to book reservations and take credit card information. I wondered why a MS CM would require CC info, but maybe for trading thru II or the cruise line? Anyways, he was using the credit cards to order merchandise (I remember them mentioning bicycles). In the news story, they even interviewed a public relations rep in front of a big DVC building. Since we've returned, I haven't heard any mention of it. Anyone hear of this?

Thanks for letting us know; it is first I've heard of this, it is not something you'd expect to hear regarding MS.

I have given my cc# to MS to book member's cash nights. And I guess, they'd also take cc# too for what you mention in your post - $95 exchange fee, etc.

:)

I gave cc info when I booked Hoop-de-Doo ressies last month. No charges on the card that weren't okay though.

Credit card fraud can happen anywhere. :sad2: That's why you should check (and double check) your bank statements, credit card statements, savings, etc. every month. :thumbsup2

This is not unusual. We read about other instances in Disney restaurants a few years back where someone handling credit cards scanning the cards with some kind of reader, accessing the CC information.

We ONLY give our CC to the front desk via online checkin - then it goes into the safe. Everything is put on our room key. If we go off site to another restaurant. we use the CC.

Haven't had any problems recently but a couple of years ago we had our CC copied at BWV and the next trip at BCV. I know that it happened there because the cards were only used at the Front Desks.

Disney was of no help and refused to get involved.

:earsboy: Bill

Where is Member Services? For some reason, I thought it was a call center in the mid-West somewhere. Or maybe that's CRO?

Florida does make sense, because they work based on Eastern time.

Member Services is located in Celebration, FL. CRO has call centers in Orlando (might actually be Celebration) and the Tampa area. Not sure if there are other call centers for CRO outside of FL.

Has anyone heard about a member services rep being arrested for stealing credit card info? When I was at WDW last week, there was a story on the local news about the arrest of a MS CM whose job it was to book reservations and take credit card information. I wondered why a MS CM would require CC info, but maybe for trading thru II or the cruise line? Anyways, he was using the credit cards to order merchandise (I remember them mentioning bicycles). In the news story, they even interviewed a public relations rep in front of a big DVC building. Since we've returned, I haven't heard any mention of it. Anyone hear of this?

I had to give a credit card # when booking the segway tour. Also signature restaraunts reqire a CC when making a reservation. I never leave my CC # at the front desk for anything. I don't charge to my room key. I'll take my chances and use it at the stores, restaraunts, etc.

This is not unusual. We read about other instances in Disney restaurants a few years back where someone handling credit cards scanning the cards with some kind of reader, accessing the CC information.

We ONLY give our CC to the front desk via online checkin - then it goes into the safe. Everything is put on our room key. If we go off site to another restaurant. we use the CC.

When I checked in online for my OKW visit, the front desk STILL wanted to see my credit card and swiped it because they said they HAD to. It didn't make sense to me, it defeats the purpose of putting it through online.

I had to give a credit card # when booking the segway tour. Also signature restaraunts reqire a CC when making a reservation. I never leave my CC # at the front desk for anything. I don't charge to my room key. I'll take my chances and use it at the stores, restaraunts, etc.

Another reason not to charge to your room key is that if you lose your room key it's very easy for someone to use it for merchandise. Happened to me last year--I left my room key at a food and wine booth (because I was using snack credits), someone got it, and even though I called within 10 minutes to the front desk at SSR and told them to cancel the card they didn't, and someone charged over $500 in merchandise that night. Disney ultimately didn't charge me but I was made to feel like a criminal (i.e., they implied that I had reported it stolen and charged the stuff myself); luckily there was record of the call (and I had it in my cellphone too). The front desk screwed up and didn't cancel the card. Now I NEVER give a credit card when checking in for DVC and explain why. I do have to go downstairs to check-out rather than use auto-checkout but I'll gladly do that.

A couple years ago I booked over the phone with Disney a keys to the kingdom tour.
Someone there used my cc for gas, but it was used a few days before I arrived at WDW via airplane, so I didn't have to pay for it.

The front desk at the resort told me not to sign the key card, then you're only responsible for $50 if stolen. Also, if not signed anytime you use your card they're suppose to ask for ID.

The front desk at the resort told me not to sign the key card, then you're only responsible for $50 if stolen. Also, if not signed anytime you use your card they're suppose to ask for ID.

Huh? Then couldn't the person stealing or finding your card just sign your name, and then their signature would match? My FIL used to do this, but I've seen places that won't accept a cc that's not signed. Many times, the vendor's agreement with the cc company bans them from accepting a card that's not signed.

The front desk sounds confused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter