Mrs. Darling's 2010 Half Marathon Trip:Yes, it does snow at Disney World

So enjoying your report :) I am running the princess half - coming up soon!:scared1: It has been nice to have some images to put in my head while I run. Also a cold weather runner.. live in the Blue Ridge Mountains... hoping for a warm, sunny March morning!

Can I ask a couple of quick questions since you are a Disney race veteran now?!?!
- Also will be stuck in Corral G for the start but am aiming for about a 9 minute mile, will I ever be able to break from the "G pack"?
- My family (Hubby, grandma, DD3 and twinDD 6 months) will be at the BLT.. do you think that is their best bet for waving to mommy? Would they be able to catch me in the park too after that? Can't really envision how long it takes!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear about the finish!!
Erin

I just remembered another question I had. What kind of race do you have to have to show proof of time? I'm assuming a 5K won't cut it for the half marathon?

Great update!! Love all the pictures!! For being so cold, you guys look really happy!!!! Then again, if I got to stand next to the prince I would be feeling the same way!!!;)

I've checking my pictures since you probably passed me at some point, but I haven't found you yet!
There were lots of people there so chances aren't good that you saw me, but you never know!

So enjoying your report :) I am running the princess half - coming up soon!:scared1: It has been nice to have some images to put in my head while I run. Also a cold weather runner.. live in the Blue Ridge Mountains... hoping for a warm, sunny March morning!

Can I ask a couple of quick questions since you are a Disney race veteran now?!?!
- Also will be stuck in Corral G for the start but am aiming for about a 9 minute mile, will I ever be able to break from the "G pack"?
- My family (Hubby, grandma, DD3 and twinDD 6 months) will be at the BLT.. do you think that is their best bet for waving to mommy? Would they be able to catch me in the park too after that? Can't really envision how long it takes!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear about the finish!!
Erin
:welcome: Congrats on your upcoming Princess Half. That sounds like a really fun race. It will be slow going at first to break away from the G pack, but I'd think after a mile or two you should be able to. I'd just try to get as far up in the corral as you can. There are lots of walkers at the race and you'll have to weave around them. There are narrow stretches when you may have to slow your pace, but overall you should be able to maintain it ok after the first couple of miles. At 9 minute miles you'll be doing lots of passing which is always good for the ego:goodvibes

I think BLT would be a great spot for you to see your family. There aren't too many spectators so you would be sure to see them there. I don't think there is any way they could see you at BLT and the Magic Kingdom. There just wouldn't be enough time. To be honest I think BLT would be a better place because Main Street is really crowded and you may not even see them. After you passed them at BLT your family would have plenty of time to hop on the monorail and go to Epcot to see you at the finish.

I just remembered another question I had. What kind of race do you have to have to show proof of time? I'm assuming a 5K won't cut it for the half marathon?
I see you already got your answer, but you need 10K or more.

Great update!! Love all the pictures!! For being so cold, you guys look really happy!!!! Then again, if I got to stand next to the prince I would be feeling the same way!!!;)
It was cold, but it was still so much fun! Just wait to see who we meet next installment! That is coming right up.

So as we passed Mile 6 Liz started talking about getting serious. I started nodding my head in agreement (though I wasn’t feeling it in my heart;)). We ran by the train and since we were trying to be serious we didn’t stop for a picture.

IMG_3364.jpg

We continued into backstage and passed by a couple of floats. Again we were serious runners now so no stopping. And then we saw them.

IMG_3366.jpg

Captain Jack and his pirate friends.:love: It was over. All thoughts of serious running were long gone. We made sure there were still some folks behind us in the race.

IMG_3367.jpg

We hopped in what was a fairly long line of sweaty women. For some reason there weren’t very many men in the line.:confused3 Go figure. Look at these cute running skirts. I think I may get one for next year.

IMG_3369.jpg

Liz and I immediately started discussing who got to stand by Jack. I knew I should cede the spot because I had claimed the Prince earlier. But come on. This was Captain Jack Sparrow and we all know that pirates trump princes any day of the week. Our diplomatic hero Liz suggested we each take a side.:hippie: Why hadn’t I thought of that? So when our turn was over we ran to meet them. (Jack can get me running.:lovestruc) And we got this classic.

DSC01252.jpg

I do think Captain Jack liked me best;), but something screwy is going on with Liz. What is that Pirate up to?:eek:

So after our Pirate encounter we had a new burst of energy and headed out. While still backstage we went through a water stop staffed with a great group of volunteers. At this point I have to give a huge shout out to all of the fabulous volunteers that staffed the race. The weather was miserable for us runners, but I’m sure it was doubly miserable for the volunteers. At least we were moving. A big enough thank you can not be said to all those that stood out in the wet, cold weather for hours so we could participate in this event. Those volunteers are heroes.:worship:

Speaking of heroes this is the point when one of my favorite moments of the race happened. We were running through the water stop and I looked to my right and noticed one of those really cute 19 year old sweet young things volunteering.:cutie: You know who I’m talking about. That young, beautiful girl that looked adorable out there in the freezing cold and we all secretly dream that is what we were like in our other life. (Well at least I do.) We all have wanted to be that girl at one time or another. And I’m sure some of you either were or are still that girl. Anyway, that girl looks at me and yells, “Jenny you are my hero.” I don’t think I had a happier moment the entire race! Me the hero of that girl I always wanted to be.:cool1: On one level I know she was just being nice and cheering us on. But I like the version where I am somebody’s hero. Just makes me feel good. :goodvibes

So after my hero moment I was actually with Liz that maybe we should get our behinds moving. So we headed out of the backstage area to a stretch of road and we were actually running. We were coming up on Mile 7 when we spotted a real hero. This is where we met Sandy. Now, we had passed her earlier in the race and then she had passed us during our Magic Kingdom dawdling. We had noted her WISH shirt. This time when we passed her I asked her screen name and we discovered it was Sandy who we “knew” from the Boards. We knew she’d been swept the year before and was out there trying again. We told her she was good on time and she was looking good too. Then we snapped a picture and wished her luck.

DSC01254-1.jpg

As we ran away Liz and I mentioned we really hoped she finished. Did she? She sure did.:woohoo: She has a great story as the last finisher to cross the line. The announcer called her name and the crowd gave her a standing ovation. She epitomizes the WISH motto Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish is better than Did Not Start. It was truly courageous of her to get out there last year. It was even more courageous to come back this year after having been swept. And it was most courageous to keep on going even when she knew there was no one behind her. Sandy, you are my hero!:worship:

OMG you met Captain Jack and Barbossa!!! How cool is that pirate:

Question, how nice of that girl to shout out that comment to you. How did she know your name though?

Well done Sandy :)

What does swept mean?

Great pics with the pirates! Arrr!

What a great hero moment! What a neat story about Sandy.

I just sat here and read through your report. I am loving it. Ok, I am seriously thinking of giving this a try. Running a marathon. I know my family and friends won't believe it until it is done, but I am sitting here so excited reading your report.

But I am also sitting here with tears of joy for Sandy. Amazing!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: for her!!!

We were at a car show the weekend of the marathon and as I stood outside looking at cars, I thought of everyone running that marathon because it was horrible weather for sunny 'ol Florida.

Ok, as soon as the hubby gets home, I'm going to see if he would be interested. Looking forward to more!!!

I just sat here and read through your report. I am loving it. Ok, I am seriously thinking of giving this a try. Running a marathon. I know my family and friends won't believe it until it is done, but I am sitting here so excited reading your report.

But I am also sitting here with tears of joy for Sandy. Amazing!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: for her!!!

We were at a car show the weekend of the marathon and as I stood outside looking at cars, I thought of everyone running that marathon because it was horrible weather for sunny 'ol Florida.

Ok, as soon as the hubby gets home, I'm going to see if he would be interested. Looking forward to more!!!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Are you thinking of running the marathon or the half-marathon??

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny - I'm so sorry.... you are delusional :sad2::sad2:

*grin!! I LOVE the Pirate Picture!! OMG!! Too funny - that's a great capture!!

First I have to say - unfortunately in '09 we were only there in spirit - irl we were at hospital, and then our #1 son got married... but it was the '08 trip that was so memorable...

I gave my camera to the CM - and they ended up taking a 5 second movie :rotfl2: OF NOTHING!! :rotfl2
so when I passed the Pirates I thought, drats... if only... but I kept pushing forward.... forward... and hey there were a LOT of people behind you (and therefore me!) I cant believe they swept at mile 8! so many people....

in '08 I wanted to get some photos - and I eventually crossed the finish line - but the finish line was turned off... so my goal this year was to be an "official" finisher!!

I know, I know.... too many words....

Y'all are great!! :goodvibes

you are the real hero!! YOU TOTALLY ROCKED THE RACE!! :woohoo:

oh PS....

after reading Maroo's trip report of the Make a Wish with the Steam trains... I really gave them a cheer - and wanted to stop for a photo there too!! :goodvibes

OMG you met Captain Jack and Barbossa!!! How cool is that pirate:

Question, how nice of that girl to shout out that comment to you. How did she know your name though?

Well done Sandy :)

What does swept mean?
Our names are on our bibs in pretty large letters. You have to be doing 16 minute miles throughout the marathon. If you don't keep the pace they can take you off the course and you don't finish. And Sandy points out below that she actually wasn't swept. She just crossed the finish line after they turned off the clock so it wasn't official.

Great pics with pirates. Argh! pirate:

I agree. Sandy is awesome. :thumbsup2

Great pics with the pirates! Arrr!

What a great hero moment! What a neat story about Sandy.
The pirate picture is one of my favorites and Sandy does have a great story!

:welcome: I say go for it! The race isn't easy, but I don't think you'll regret it. I can't explain the sense of satisfaction you get when you cross the finish line (especially the 1st half marathon.) I remember tearing up when I hit mile 13 during my first half and realized I was really going to finish. It is so empowering and made me realize I was tougher than I ever knew:goodvibes

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny - I'm so sorry.... you are delusional :sad2::sad2: Trust me. You aren't the first person to ever think that:laughing:

*grin!! I LOVE the Pirate Picture!! OMG!! Too funny - that's a great capture!!

First I have to say - unfortunately in '09 we were only there in spirit - irl we were at hospital, and then our #1 son got married... but it was the '08 trip that was so memorable... oops I got some of the details wrong, but it's still a great story!

I gave my camera to the CM - and they ended up taking a 5 second movie :rotfl2: OF NOTHING!! :rotfl2
so when I passed the Pirates I thought, drats... if only... but I kept pushing forward.... forward... and hey there were a LOT of people behind you (and therefore me!) I cant believe they swept at mile 8! so many people....
Mile 8 is an early sweep. I wonder how many were swept.

in '08 I wanted to get some photos - and I eventually crossed the finish line - but the finish line was turned off... so my goal this year was to be an "official" finisher!! And you finished in style:goodvibes

I know, I know.... too many words....

Y'all are great!! :goodvibes

you are the real hero!! YOU TOTALLY ROCKED THE RACE!! :woohoo:

I'm glad you popped in. Kind of like I have a star posting in my trip report;) I love the photo in your signature.

I'm laughing over your son's grief over the left behind coat. That sounds so like my kids, I'm sure you were like "what?". Five year olds are such a trip! I'm sure it now belongs to someone who really needed a nice fleece jacket.

I never knew about all the characters on the course, how cool! And, great job Sandy! You all are inspiring me!:thumbsup2

I have a somewhat dumb question-If you cross the finish line, but your time is unofficial (the clock is off), do you still get a medal?

Our names are on our bibs in pretty large letters. You have to be doing 16 minute miles throughout the marathon. If you don't keep the pace they can take you off the course and you don't finish. And Sandy points out below that she actually wasn't swept. She just crossed the finish line after they turned off the clock so it wasn't official.

The pirate picture is one of my favorites and Sandy does have a great story!

:welcome: I say go for it! The race isn't easy, but I don't think you'll regret it. I can't explain the sense of satisfaction you get when you cross the finish line (especially the 1st half marathon.) I remember tearing up when I hit mile 13 during my first half and realized I was really going to finish. It is so empowering and made me realize I was tougher than I ever knew:goodvibes

I'm glad you popped in. Kind of like I have a star posting in my trip report;) I love the photo in your signature.

What a great update. Sandy is my hero, too!! That story made me cry! Yeaaa!

OK - y'all need to stop - - I was not I did not... I can and should've done better!! (its embarrassing all the nice things y'all are saying, the truth is I am so not worthy!)

I have a somewhat dumb question-If you cross the finish line, but your time is unofficial (the clock is off), do you still get a medal?

Funny you should ask that... :rolleyes1

When I signed up for the Half in '08 I read trip reports, read blogs, and posted questions... and the advice from prior races AT THE TIME - was get to the front of your corral, and get to mile 10 - they previously hadnt swept after mile 10 - that changed in '08!

THEN, when I did realize the chip thingy was off - and the timer said 4hours + some minutes... I was sad.... there were lots of people in front of me, and behind me... we get thru the chute... to hear "sorry we ran out of medals, stop at the info booth and leave your name and bib number... " um but we werent recorded "oh, well" :confused3

Long story short - the truck with the last box of medals went to the expo instead of the finish line - a kind CM paired me up with another runner from the resort who had a car and we drove over to get our medal!! (and it was another mile of walking to get the medal!! lol)

(and I'll always wonder, what my CHIP time was that year!)

bottom line - in this year '10 - they announced me as the last official runner in the Half Marathon - but I've since heard there were other people that crossed after me :confused3 I seriously didnt see anyone behind me from mile 12 to the finish line... :confused3

What happens to those that are "swept"? Can they get a medal? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter