Moving to Southern Indiana while 30 weeks pregnant with twins!

noodle7729

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

we just found out last week that we are being transferred to Speed Indiana and they would like us there by the end of the summer. We are excited about the move but the timing is horrible for us. I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant with twins and am currently not working because of pregnancy induced blood pressure issues. We have so much to do and I'm overwhelmed especially because we have never been to the area.

We are hoping to go on a house hunting trip the week after next and I'm looking for some recommendations. I'd like him to have a 15 minute or less commute so it has been recommended that we look in the Silver Creek school system. 2 other school systems that were recommended were New Albany and Floyd county schools.

What else do I need to know about this area? What is there to do? I know that we will be just over the river from Louisville which is pretty exciting.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jamie

You need to talk to your doctor and be very careful. My doctor wouldn't even let me move into a bigger apartment when I was 30 weeks with twins. My cousin did move and it put her into early labor with her twins. I would do everything online or have DH find an apartment with a six month lease.

Good luck,
Jamie

The first thing you need to do before YOU move is get on the phone and find an OB that will take a high risk patient as far a long as you will be. You need to find a DR before you can think about moving there. Good Luck you will be very far along and most aren't willing to step in and be responsible for a delivery when they haven't monitored the pregnancy.

We moved when I was at about the same point in my pregnancy as you are and I had a fairly hard time finding a DR and this was 20 yrs ago, with all the increase in lawsuits and malpractice insurance going sky high I would bet you will have a tough time now.

Just to be clear I mean moving before delivery, not in general not to move there. That is why I said YOU. You may have to live separately till delivery.

Of the 3 choices you have been given I'd go with Silver Creeek schools which is in Sellersburg In, It's a small school Heneryville In schools are even smaller I believe but yet a very good school.

I would avoid Jeffersonville In schools all together New Albany schools are not much better I went to Floyd Central (floyd county school) I HATED IT way to many doctors an lawyers kids go there.

I just ween where you'd like a 15 min commute that leaves you with either Sellersburg, Speed, or Henryville. As far as rentals for housing till you find something you like an can afford there is not much to pick from. We are talking very small towns. I'm not even sure if Speed has a post office.
There is not much to do in any of the 3 towns very few resturants no movie theater very few stores.

I've lived near the area all my life till just a couple yrs ago, always had family ties in Sellersburg an Henryville.

I65 the interstate thru the area is a NIGHTMARE 4 lane hwy with way to much traffic on it at rush hour many accidents an traffic backups. State road 31 is a much better choice for commuting.

Most of the shopping an stuff to do is either in Clarksville or Louisville KY. Clarksville IN has lots of shopping an resturants a couple of movie theaters not much else that I know of. It's prolly 20 miles from Henryville.

My advice to you is to go to Homesanland.com or homes.come do a search for houses for sale in the area you interested in. Most will have pictures of inside an outside the home. Also as you find a home you think you might be interested in do a test drive on yahoo maps or whatever you use for maps from the address of that house to work some of them might look to be close but be 30 mins or more away.
You can also pick out a realtor to help you find a house they can send you a list of homes to be looking at online.

BTW don't be alarmed by what you see in the Speed/Henryville area they are still cleaning up an rebuilding from a major tornado last spring.

My current OB has already cleared me and I'm in contact with an OB group who is willing to take me on as a patient as soon as we get there. Renting isn't an option as dh's company is paying for the relocation and won't help with closing costs and things if we don't move directly into our next house. Staying behind also isn't an option as we don't have any family within 8 hours of where we are currently living so I will be going when he does. We have accepted that we may spend sometime in a hotel (we get up to 60 days of temporary housing) so that we may be able to move a little sooner.
How are the school districts around clarksville? Through some research I see that is where the majority of the shops and restaurants are.

Thanks for all of your input!

Jamie

My advice to you is to go to Homesanland.com or homes.come do a search for houses for sale in the area you interested in.

Just to clarify, it's homesANDland.com, with a d.

The first thing you need to do before YOU move is get on the phone and find an OB that will take a high risk patient as far a long as you will be. You need to find a DR before you can think about moving there. Good Luck you will be very far along and most aren't willing to step in and be responsible for a delivery when they haven't monitored the pregnancy.

We moved when I was at about the same point in my pregnancy as you are and I had a fairly hard time finding a DR and this was 20 yrs ago, with all the increase in lawsuits and malpractice insurance going sky high I would bet you will have a tough time now.

Just to be clear I mean moving before delivery, not in general not to move there. That is why I said YOU. You may have to live separately till delivery.

That's not always true. I moved half-way across the country at 36 weeks. I worked with my doctor at home and found a wonderful practice to go to in our new location. OP, just do your research, and involve your current doctor in the process.

Is this a corporate move? If so, can you arrange to have them pay for packers? You could pay that yourself if needed, of course. I was amazed the first time we had packers! I didn't have to do anything!

I don't know the area you are moving to, but there are a lot of websites that provide info on town demographics, school data, etc. That is where I would start the house hunting. When I moved pregnant, I wasn't allowed to fly, so DH did it all himself, and this was 10 years ago, before uploading videos to the internet was easy like today. He would use our camcorder to video the houses he looked at, and then he overnighted the ones he liked to me. I also told him to look for swingsets in backyards! (It was December near Chicago, so there weren't many kds playing outside to see if it was an "older" or "younger" neighborhood.)

Is this a corporate move? If so, can you arrange to have them pay for packers? You could pay that yourself if needed, of course. I was amazed the first time we had packers! I didn't have to do anything!

Thank goodness it is a corporate move. we have moved once with his company before. We have to do no packing. They will take everything from closets, drawers, pictures off of walls...everything. The plan is to go on a house hunting trip in the next 2 weeks (I'm okay to fly then) and then drive out about a month later assuming we find something.

I've been looking at houses online for days but you can only tell so much through pictures. It looks like there is a lot in our price range and everything is much cheaper there than where I love on the east coast.

Jamie

Hello from another mom of twins. Remember a 5 month twin pregnancy is akin to a nine month singleton pregnancy. I know it well because I hurt myself in my 5th month and this is what I was told from my doctors as well - as they sidelined me. Nothing can be more important than your taking care of yourself and your babies right now, especially where you've had issues with your BP already. This may not be a great time to move, unfortunately.

Hello from another mom of twins. Remember a 5 month twin pregnancy is akin to a nine month singleton pregnancy. I know it well because I hurt myself in my 5th month and this is what I was told from my doctors as well - as they sidelined me. Nothing can be more important than your taking care of yourself and your babies right now, especially where you've had issues with your BP already. This may not be a great time to move, unfortunately.

I agree. I also have twins. Just remember to take it easy! I was in the hospital in pre-term labor at 32 weeks for a week. Then out. Then had them at 33 1/2 weeks! They were fine, and only needed to stay in the hospital for 3 weeks to get a bit bigger, but with twins you never know what will happen. Many make it til the bitter end, but I only made it until 37.5 with my singleton so I figured I would go early with these two! Congrats on twins... they are so much fun!

I'm not planning on doing anything but sit back and watch everything get packed. I will not do ANYTHING to risk these babies.

Thanks again,

Jamie

I live in the area. Every place you have considered is a 10-15 minute drive to Clarksville where there is lots of shopping and 20-30 minutes to Louisville. You will have a grocery within a few minutes of any of the locations too. Also, you can live in New Albany, Sellersburg or even Floyds Knobs and your husband can be at work within 15 minutes. Of course Sellersburg will be your closest location if he is working in Speed. There is nice housing in Sellersburg and Silver Creek is a good school; however, the schools in the area that are the 4 star schools are Floyds Knobs Elementary, Greenville Elementary and Highland Hills Middle school which are in Floyds Knobs, Greenville and Georgetown. Floyds Knobs has lots of nice housing too. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or private message me. Make sure you stay on this side of the river though because if you go to Louisville you will be faced with the possibility of your child being bussed across town for schooling. Also, St. Paul Catholic School is a great school in Sellersburg too if you are looking at a private school. If you plan to stay in the area long term I would avoid New Albany due to the high school. I say that and I went to the high school years ago but alot has changed since then. New Albany has some nice areas to live but not so great middle and high schools. If you want a small town community you could also consider Borden. Also, someone mentioned there is not much to do in these towns; however, everything is within 10-15 minutes - movie theater, restaurants, malls, etc. Now the big malls and lots of choices for things to do are in Louisville which is a very short drive. Southern Indiana is a beautiful place to live. Not a big city but very nice and peaceful. You couldnt pay me to move to Louisville. I love being in Indiana but having the closeness of going to Louisville if necessary. My husband and I both commute to Louisville daily. Really if your husband is going to live in any of the towns I mentioned he will not run into any traffic going to work unless there is a wreck.

Another thing about Southern Indiana- I'm pretty sure Holiday World is the best non Disney theme park anywhere.

Agreed Holiday World is awesome and only an hour away. Also, if you need a realtor Troy Stiller with Schuler Bauer is great. Also agree with other poster to stay away from Jeffersonville and even Clarksville as Silver Creek and Floyds Knobs are better schools.

YES Holiday World is a wonderful park tho it is more like a an hour an half from New Albany Made that drive many many times when my older DD's was little.

I'd go with Silver Creek (Sellersburg) or Henryville schools over the New Albany/Floyd County schools any day. I agree Jeffersonville an Clarksville schools should be avoided at all costs esp Jeffersonville.

I also live in the area. My family and I live in Floyds Knobs. My kids have gone to Floyds Knobs Elementary School and now are both at Highland Hills Middle School. I have nothing bad to say about either of these schools and have been very pleased with their experiences there. My husband is a teacher at Silver Creek High School and that is also a great school system. We are about 5-10 minutes from stores and restaurants in Floyds Knobs and New Albany. Also can be in Louisville within 15 minutes. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

I also live in the area. My family and I live in Floyds Knobs. My kids have gone to Floyds Knobs Elementary School and now are both at Highland Hills Middle School. I have nothing bad to say about either of these schools and have been very pleased with their experiences there. My husband is a teacher at Silver Creek High School and that is also a great school system. We are about 5-10 minutes from stores and restaurants in Floyds Knobs and New Albany. Also can be in Louisville within 15 minutes. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Momma2Mia - its a small world. I believe your son was the class president at the same time my son went to FKE.

we are leaning towards silver creek schools but have also found a lot of houses in the charlestown area. What do you know/ think about this area. we are going out next week and are hoping to quickly find a house. Thank you for all of your help.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Oh wow, we're in Sellersburg and my kids are in Silver Creek schools. Definitely avoid Greater Clark schools (Jeffersonville). The elementary schools are okay, but Jeff High is not a place I'd want my kids. Floyd County schools (New Albany) are good, but they are having budget issues and closing schools. Silver Creek, on the other hand, is building new schools because the area is growing so fast. I would skip Henryville or Charlestown simply because the schools aren't going to be able to offer what Silver Creek can due to their very small size. Skip Clarksville. The schools aren't good. With your husband in Speed, I'd definitely be looking at Sellersburg or New Albany.

Sellersburg is very close to shopping (5-10 minutes) and I can get from my house to downtown Louisville in 10 minutes. I totally disagree with the person saying I-65 is a nightmare. I take it to downtown every day and can get from my garage to my desk (including dropping off at daycare, parking downtown, and walking into work) in 25 minutes at rush hour. I rarely hit any kind of traffic at all.

There is a lot of shopping close or you can head to Louisville. The best Louisville shopping is on the east side. I can get to that in about 25 minutes with no traffic (i.e. don't go at rush hour because Louisville traffic from downtown to the east end can be a mess). The Louisville Zoo is nice, there is a science center downtown, the Louisville Slugger museum and factory is downtown, tons of lakes and state parks, Mammoth Cave is about an hour and a half away, etc. Yeah, there is Holiday World, but it's about an hour away and, while it has a great water park, the amusement park isn't great. They have a roller coaster or two, but the vast majority of the park is essentially carnival rides (bumper boats, bumper cars, scrambler, etc.). They offer free sunscreen and drinks, but the ticket price is very high for what you get so you're really paying for that sunscreen and those drinks. If you want a good amusement park, you can always head to Cincinnati and go to King's Island though.

Personally, I love the area. It feels like a small town, but has all the benefits of the big city within a few minutes drive.

I live in Indianapolis but have inlaws that used to live in Jeffersonville. I agree with everyone else, avoid Jeffersonville. It is not the nicest area and the schools aren't good at all. Living near Louisville will be so nice, you have the close city to you but don't have to deal with all the headache of it. Holiday World is about 1hour and 1/2 away and it is a great park. Best Water park I have ever been to. If you have little ones it is a perfect park for them.
Hope you find something soon, welcome to the Hoosier State!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter