moving to nashville

I have lived in Nashville my entire life. I teach in Metro, but my kids go to Wilson Co. We live just over the county line in Mt. Juliet. It is great. All the shopping and such you would need, close to the city, and good schools. As someone else mentioned, Hendersonville is also a good option. It is Sumner County, has everything you would need, and good schools. Housing may be a little higher there than in Mt. Juliet. Brentwood is definitely an expensive option. We'd love to have you in Mt. Juliet!

I have lived in Nashville my entire life. I teach in Metro, but my kids go to Wilson Co. We live just over the county line in Mt. Juliet. It is great. All the shopping and such you would need, close to the city, and good schools. As someone else mentioned, Hendersonville is also a good option. It is Sumner County, has everything you would need, and good schools. Housing may be a little higher there than in Mt. Juliet. Brentwood is definitely an expensive option. We'd love to have you in Mt. Juliet!

Thanks! I have added Mt Juliet to the list. There is much more home for the money there for sure! I am just concerned that it is rural or something. There must be a reason why it is cheap?? I am spoiled by having everything I need w/in a 5-7 minute drive. Our neighborhood is right in the thick of things so to speak.:goodvibes
I guess I won't know for sure until I see the different areas for myself. We are going to head out that way next weekend and try to narrow it down.

I live in Bellevue and while you may be able to find a home for under $2000/mo. and the elementary schools are okay, the middle schools we are zoned for leave MUCH to be desired. If our kids were not in private school I would homeschool, seriously they are that bad.

Try Rutherford County, not as far out as Murfreesboro but maybe just over the county line in Lavergne. I don't know the area well but Lavergne actually was just ranked nationally as one of the Top 25 most affordable places to live in the nation, and Rutherford Co. schools are better than Metro Nashville/Davidson Co.

And like another poster said you may be able to find an older home in Franklin that's in your budget, although keep in mind many Williamson Co. schools are starting to suffer from overcrowding because EVERYONE moves out there due to the good school system.

As for snow, I believe our average yearly is around 11 inches although it comes in maybe 1-2 inches at a time. Every few years we'll get a good snow like 8 inches and then the entire city shuts down for a week! :rotfl:

Thanks! I have added Mt Juliet to the list. There is much more home for the money there for sure! I am just concerned that it is rural or something. There must be a reason why it is cheap?? I am spoiled by having everything I need w/in a 5-7 minute drive. Our neighborhood is right in the thick of things so to speak.:goodvibes
I guess I won't know for sure until I see the different areas for myself. We are going to head out that way next weekend and try to narrow it down.

You will be pleasantly surprised with Mt. Juliet. It has built up quite a bit over the last few years. On the whole the eastern side of Davidson Co. is cheaper than the western side, which is why it seems cheap comparatively. But Mt. Juliet has some gorgeous subdivisions and a huge new shopping complex. If you want really high end like Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, etc. then yes you'll have to drive into Green Hills which is closer to the center of Nashville, but I think you'll find everything you need on a daily basis within a 10-minute drive in Mt. Juliet. Here is a link to the huge shopping complex in Mt Juliet called Providence Marketplace...it has pretty much everything you would need!

http://shopprovidencemarketplace.com/

We relocated to north alabama after living in Franklin for 5 years (I grew up in brentwood). I miss middle TN. I wish you best of luck! You will enjoy the nashville area.
As other people have stated, you will pay extra for Williamson county schools. It is worth it if it fits in your budget.

The worst part about this move is that you are 4 hours further from the mouse! :)

Another vote for Rutherford County!!! Great schools, great place, great people! Been here 10 years and love it!!!

My DW works for Sumner County Schools and they are rated #2 in the area, with Wilson County being #1.

She also suggested looking at www.realtracs.com. You an search by county on that site.

I didn't realize how many DIS peeps are in Nashville. Sending a shoutout!!!!

I'm in Goodlettsville :cool2:

I grew up in Nashville. Military wife now and have lived all over, most recently our TN experience was Clarksville, which may be further outside of Nashville than you are looking, but it is still 'Middle Tennessee' and has pretty much all the regular stores (not high end) you would need and we were pleased with the schools,

If I were to move back to Nashville, I would look in the Wilson county (Mt Juliet area) - plenty of stores, bang for your buck housing, and good schools.

Good luck with finding a place. We have moved many times and I know how tough it is to find something available, in your price range, and in the best school zone.

You asked about the price difference. I think Brentwood = old money. Mt. Juliet = new, up and coming money and Franklin = big money! :) If I were moving there I would consider the Mt. Juliet area or Hendersonville area. This puts you near shopping and not far from downtown. I guess the schools would settle it for me.

You asked about the price difference. I think Brentwood = old money. Mt. Juliet = new, up and coming money and Franklin = big money! :) If I were moving there I would consider the Mt. Juliet area or Hendersonville area. This puts you near shopping and not far from downtown. I guess the schools would settle it for me.

Those are helpful descriptions. Are there any areas in Mt Juliet I should avoid?

I grew up in Nashville. Military wife now and have lived all over, most recently our TN experience was Clarksville, which may be further outside of Nashville than you are looking, but it is still 'Middle Tennessee' and has pretty much all the regular stores (not high end) you would need and we were pleased with the schools,

If I were to move back to Nashville, I would look in the Wilson county (Mt Juliet area) - plenty of stores, bang for your buck housing, and good schools.
Good luck with finding a place. We have moved many times and I know how tough it is to find something available, in your price range, and in the best school zone.

Thanks. Sounds like Mt Juliet is maybe where I should focus the search. I like to think we are coming up on some money soon...:lmao:.......at least that is what my DH keeps telling me to get me to move. :rolleyes1

I live in the Opryland area. I actually like where I live, but if private schools are not an option, I would probably not move here (metro Davidson County).My son goes to high school iin Hendersonville...it and the Gallatin areas are nice and growing.

lynn

Hendersonville has EVERYTHING you need! The Streets of Indian Lake has great shopping. There are great schools and a hospital, and it's only 15 minutes to downtown. I love it here!

Where I live, right down the road! :thumbsup2

My son and his wife were just transferred to TN. They are both managers for Pepsi. Jimmy's office is in Nashville and Nikkole is plant manager in Talahoma. They bought a house in Mufreesboro. It takes Jimmy about 25 min. to get to his office. Their house is beautiful and in a very nice area. I know they thought about renting, but ended up with a short sale home.

Another vote for Hendersonville, Mt Juliet or Murfreesboro. Avoid Metro/Davidson Co schools IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter