Moving to Florida assistance thread.

Well said Kevin.

If you are looking for a good place to live, try Celebration. It's 1 mile from the Magic Kingdom, you can hear Wishes if you sit on your front porch, Radio Disney is right on Main Street, the town is quiet, the people are great and we have good food.:goodvibes

My musical taste runs the gamut. I like many different styles of music.

I'm not a fan of the recent trend to synthesize the singers voice until they sound like robots on helium (almost any Brittany Spears song). I'm also not a fan of hip hop. I know that that makes me an old fogey and I'm willing to own that. I like singers who can sing.

As for the reason we keep telling folks that life in FL will not be a constant vacation.....because that's what we hear from people.

"You can go to the parks whenever you want."

"We'll be in town for 8 days.....would you like to come to the parks and hang out with us while we're there?"

"I can spend all of my time at the _____ (fill in the blank....beach, pool, spa, water park)."

"Don't you love to be able to just go walk around the Magic Kingdom after work?"

The podcast team has said many times that we all thought...."oh...this will be great. We'll get annual passes and every night we'll walk around the lagoon at Epcot. It'll be great excercise."

That just doesnt happen...especially if you want clean clothes for work the next day, food in the house, the dogd to go for a walk....I could go on, but you get the idea.

I just want folks to think about their reasons for moving here so as to avoid disappointment or being disillusioned by the reality of the situation.

Several people did this for me prior to my moving here....and I appreaciate everything they did. I moved to Florida and have never regretted it or considered leaving.

Hope that helps.

EXACTLY! I don't want Olive Garden for every meal, but it is nice to have it available when I do want it. OMG, there. I just thought of another bonus. Every fast food and chain restaurant in the world is there. See, the PRO column just keeps getting longer while I'm pretty much "Who cares" about the CON one.

Just having the sunshine in the house would be nice. Even the house is dark in the winer. Everything is dark. I do not think I'd miss the change of seasons and I WOULD NOT miss snow.

My apologies to Kathy, but I don't care for the term "townie." Carries a negative connotation in my brain. Would never call myself that. Love to be a "local" though. :)

I wonder how long it would take before I'd feel like I actually belonged in Florida. :confused:

It depends on where you are located in the Orlando area. I don't have a lot of restaurants and stores near me. It is a ride to everything.

I don't like the term local because if you read the threads on the theme parks and other boards here local is a negative. Oh the locals are going to be there, will it be crowded because the locals are there? In my mind I have as much right to be anywhere on Disney property or a theme park as the next person.

It depends on where you are located in the Orlando area. I don't have a lot of restaurants and stores near me. It is a ride to everything.

I don't like the term local because if you read the threads on the theme parks and other boards here local is a negative. Oh the locals are going to be there, will it be crowded because the locals are there? In my mind I have as much right to be anywhere on Disney property or a theme park as the next person.
Of course you have a right to be wherever you feel like being whenever you feel like being there. I do understand why you prefer to be a townie and will happily call you that and try very hard not to feel like I'm insulting you. :) But if I'm ever there, I'll be a local.

What I mean about the restaurants is that they're there. If you don't want to take the ride, you don't. But you CAN if you want to. Bonus.

I know a guy who once would drive hours to get to a Taco Bell, lol.

Hi everyone. living in Florida really IS as amazing as it sounds. I was born and raised in Miami, went to Disney every month, and practically lived on the beach.

I miss it VERY MUCH. Have been away for 3 years now and plan on moving back one day.

The real drawback on moving back would be pay. I am a teacher, and Florida does NOT pay teachers fairly AT ALL. They consider it a give and take for the 'style of living', but really, who could afford to live in Miami on a 35,000 salary?

And the other HORRENDOUS thing is traffic. I have been stuck in the same spot on I-4 for at least an hour.

I do consider myself a local. This is my home now. It just gets old when I hear people complaining about the locals at different events.

I wonder how long it would take before I'd feel like I actually belonged in Florida.

Didn't take me long at all! Of course, it helped that I had family here, but I was very comfortable very quickly.

One thing I've noticed in the area I live in is that most of us are from somewhere else. The first question people ask when they meet you is "Where are you from?" and usually the answer is NOT Florida. I think because there are so many people who moved from elsewhere, it's easier to make new friends. You either are new yourself or you remember what it was like to be new and you're more open to the next newcomer.

Hi everyone, jumping in here too! DH and I are working on this plan too. I grew up all over the world and have been in central Vermont for 12 years (the longest I've lived anywhere) due to a divorce and ex relocating here (was NOT going to have my DD go back and forth between Ohio and Vermont). So, DD is getting ready to graduate and go to college and we're thinking it's coming up on time to skedaddle. So tired of snow and cold and DH's cousin is in Windermere and working high up for the mouse. We come down a lot and absolutely love it. We probably won't be able to go for a few years (I want to have our house up here paid off before we jump). I'm a French and Theatre teacher and DH is a toolmaker, so we certainly won't be looking in Windermere! ;) Are there any teachers out there who can let me know how salaries are? I am an MA plus 30, certified in French and Theatre Arts and working on the Spanish endorsement. I'm just so excited to get back to civilisation! I'm tired of having to drive 2 hours to do any kind of real shopping!!! Good luck to everyone making the move!

I guess I can't understand the wanting to move to Florida thing. The Pod Squad hit the nail right on the head during the last show. What ever problems people have where they currently live, they'll have similar problems there also, but different. Living in Orlando from May until October is like living on the face of the sun with humidity. You don't even want to leave your house, because your car heats up to 125 deg. when you park for just a few minutes. It's a very transient city, where nobody is actually from Orlando. Disney is paradise, but it's where we go on vacation. If you live there, it's no longer a vacation. The thrill of walking through the concourse at MCO when you arrive will be gone.

I guess I can't understand the wanting to move to Florida thing. The Pod Squad hit the nail right on the head during the last show. What ever problems people have where they currently live, they'll have similar problems there also, but different. Living in Orlando from May until October is like living on the face of the sun with humidity. You don't even want to leave your house, because your car heats up to 125 deg. when you park for just a few minutes. It's a very transient city, where nobody is actually from Orlando. Disney is paradise, but it's where we go on vacation. If you live there, it's no longer a vacation. The thrill of walking through the concourse at MCO when you arrive will be gone.
The car being hot is, for me, much better than being cold. Heat also doesn't cause you to stand outside with your little toes going numb hacking away at the windshield...and side windows...and rear window. Don't have to get that brush up on top of the car and get all the heat off the roof so it doesn't go flying onto other folks' windows. Also don't have to back away as the heat falls down and try not to get it all over your pants.

And heat doesn't clog up the wiper fluid thingy so that you can't clean the windows.

Heat is uncomfortable, but far less time-consuming than cold, ice and snow. And while it sucks to be out in the heat, it has never actually prevented me from getting anywhere.

Around here, the sun leaves in September/October and doesn't come back until May. It's a myth about the snow ending in March. We've had Easters where the snow was 2 feet deep.

The #1 thing about central Florida is the lack of snow. Theme parks are just the icing on the cake. I don't think Disney is paradise. I just like theme parks. Always have.

While I totally understand what Kevin is saying about still having to deal with life if you move to Florida, I think dealing with life in Florida would still be better than dealing with life here. Yes, I would still have bills to pay, laundry to do, grocery shopping, home maintenance, ect, ect, but I deal with all that now without having the possibility of going over to MK to watch Wishes if I have some free time or going to the beach for a few hours on my day off or going to Epcot just to take a stroll around WS. Even if it turned out that I didn't actually do those things all that often, the opportunity is there. Yesterday when I was bored and wanted to get out, I went and strolled around Target, I'd much rather have strolled around MK (even though it was only 45 degrees) but didn't have that option.

Honestly, I've been hotter in NJ and DC than I have been in Orlando. Down here, our homes are built to keep us cool and it makes a huge difference. Summers in NJ were pretty hot and humid, and I spent a TON more on AC there than I do here.

I don't do the concourse at MCO anymore-but the thrill of driving through the gates at WDW hasn't diminished one bit.

I agree. I had just as humid a summer as I did in PA. At least here I have a/c. I do go out in the summer, love going to the beach and water parks.

I still get a thrill going through MCO. I know I am home when I hit the airport after a trip.

I would much rather be hot than cold anyday. My quality of life is much much better here in FL. Florida may not be for everyone but it is heaven for me.

Kathy...I know it's hard to say, but I'm curious, how much do you think you would visit the parks if it wasn't part of your job? And do you think it would change your perception of living there if you had a job that was not Disney related?

May I answer that question, too?

When I am in the area (I commute to Maine for work about once a month), I am at either the parks or DTD 4-5 times a week. I like to go to DTD if I don't have a lot of time since it's easy to get in and out. Give me an hour at DTD and I am refreshed!!

I visited the parks just as much when I wasn't working for Dreams as I do now. I didn't have a job that dealt with Disney when I moved here. I had a job that I traveled around the US.

It just worked out perfectly that now I have a job that deals with Disney. :)

We have already sold our house and are renting until January 2011. At that time my DH will qualify for early retirement, which includes full medical benefits for both of us, plus a small pension to begin immediately. My job will officially be over in January as I am a political appointee and my boss is not running for re-election.

We have a small summer camp on a lake in Vermont and will buy a small condo/trailer/house in FL. We are relatively young (will be 55 and 52 when we move) so plan to work many more years...hopefully at WDW.

We have already changed our lifestyle in preparation for our move. Got rid of tons of material possessions, paid cash for our vehicles, etc. After years of high pressure jobs, we want to simplify and relax!

We are looking at the Davenport/Winter Haven area which is southwest of WDW and Orlando. It's a quick commute to WDW plus it's near relatives who live in the Lakeland/Tampa areas.

Hopefully, this time next year, we will be there!

While I totally understand what Kevin is saying about still having to deal with life if you move to Florida, I think dealing with life in Florida would still be better than dealing with life here. Yes, I would still have bills to pay, laundry to do, grocery shopping, home maintenance, ect, ect, but I deal with all that now without having the possibility of going over to MK to watch Wishes if I have some free time or going to the beach for a few hours on my day off or going to Epcot just to take a stroll around WS. Even if it turned out that I didn't actually do those things all that often, the opportunity is there. Yesterday when I was bored and wanted to get out, I went and strolled around Target, I'd much rather have strolled around MK (even though it was only 45 degrees) but didn't have that option.

Lisa has conveyed exactly what I was trying to say and she did it much more eloquently than I did.

I have tried to be as honest as possible in my description of what life is like here in Fl including the good and not so good.

I have had several friends "head home" because Florida didnt offer the lifestyle they expected....meaning that while we might have a lanai, we dont get to hang out on it eating cheesecake every day (my Golden Girls reference for the day). It's something I keep mentioning because moving someplace and being disappointed is costly, and not just in a monetary sense.

That being said....I have also stated that I LOVE living here and would not consider moving anywhere else.....well, maybe Paris....but we'll see.

Something to consider.....my folks actually bought a home here long before we actually moved here. We owned their house for 6 years before I made the move and then they followed me 2 years later.

Housing in FL is at an all time low and we just heard that FL will probably not rebound as fast as the rest of the country. If you are looking for a second home, a vacation property or someplace in which to eventualy move....the timing is good.

Again...be it townie...local...whatever....I'm here for a while. This is home and I love it.

Kathy...I know it's hard to say, but I'm curious, how much do you think you would visit the parks if it wasn't part of your job? And do you think it would change your perception of living there if you had a job that was not Disney related?

I realize that you did not ask me...but I can say that in the last few years, my responsibilities and situation have changed.

I used to spend more time in the parks and will again....but as I've said before.....life intrudes.

I realize that you did not ask me...but I can say that in the last few years, my responsibilities and situation have changed.

I used to spend more time in the parks and will again....but as I've said before.....life intrudes.

From the way you talk on the show, it almost seems like you visited the parks more before you started working for DIS and Dreams? Although, you still go enough to make me jealous. The "We are at the Polynesian Sushi Bar and you are not." post comes to mind. :teeth:

Life intrudes, I said something similiar last week when my sister asked me why I haven't been scrapbooking lately. I used to do it alot, I just haven't had time lately. I hope to get back to it soon.

We have already sold our house and are renting until January 2011. At that time my DH will qualify for early retirement, which includes full medical benefits for both of us, plus a small pension to begin immediately. My job will officially be over in January as I am a political appointee and my boss is not running for re-election.

We have a small summer camp on a lake in Vermont and will buy a small condo/trailer/house in FL. We are relatively young (will be 55 and 52 when we move) so plan to work many more years...hopefully at WDW.

We have already changed our lifestyle in preparation for our move. Got rid of tons of material possessions, paid cash for our vehicles, etc. After years of high pressure jobs, we want to simplify and relax!

We are looking at the Davenport/Winter Haven area which is southwest of WDW and Orlando. It's a quick commute to WDW plus it's near relatives who live in the Lakeland/Tampa areas.

Hopefully, this time next year, we will be there!

Sorry, read your message before your post! Lucky you! You're doing exactly what we plan to do - downscale, downscale, downscale! Good for you!

As for everyone talking about the weather: The heat and humidity do NOT bother me. I lived in Omaha for 4 years, competed in equestrian events all over the midwest (in over 100 degree heat with ridiculously high humidity - black wool hunt coat et al) and loved every minute of it. The cold, on the other hand, I cannot take it and the older I get, the worse it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter