Moving to an Aquifer district?

stellablue

DIS Veteran
We just bought our first home and the neighborhood we are moving into is considered an "Aquifer District"...... Does anyone know what this means? I can't seem to find any info online as to what types of restrictions it might entail.

Thanks!

You should be able to call the township you will be living in to find out. Do you have a well on your property for your water, or is it through a water company?

You should be able to call the township you will be living in to find out. Do you have a well on your property for your water, or is it through a water company?

Thank you-I will ask our town hall about it when I stop in to pick up our plot info.

No well-we are on town water.

I did find a little info online that says it has to do with preservation of ground water, but no info with regards to any restrictions we should be aware of.

An aquifer is a water system underground. Much of the world freshwater is taken from an aquifer because of the semi-purity and the easier acces to the fresh water. Wells are built to get to the aquifers to obtain water.

You are on well water, aquifer district is just their term for it.

I'd ask their health dept, if they have one, what well water issues your area has. if not someone at the town hall will know.

I lived in San Antonio for years where the city/region water source is an aquifer. The most important things there were this: in droughts, the water table lowers and water rationing begins. There sometimes are building restrictions because there needs to be a large permeable surface if water is to reach the aquifer. People tend to be more concerned with what goes on, then in the ground as it, too, can reach the aquifer. None of the issues were extreme, except the drought restrictions thing could get tricky. Lawns/landscaping were usually the only real victim. The city's water quality was very good.

Thank you! We are really exited about our new house!!

We live on the East Coast and I don't think droughts are very common here, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Looks like this is nothing really to worry about then!

I will check in with our town hall as well.

We live in a "water shed" area. This may be a similar thing. The city's drinking water comes from under our neighborhood.

There are restrictions on "dumping" things. Which generally occur no matter where you are, but I think the restrictions may be enforced more here..? you can't change your oil here, you have to take your car elsewhere to do it. You can't put anything down the storm drains. Although people wash their cars all the time with the run off going down the storm drains. If there is a spill such as motor oil, gasoline, paint, or any toxic chemicals, you have to call the waste management service to have it cleaned up. I'm not sure how they clean it up because we haven't experienced this type of spill.

I think the types of business that can opperate here are limited as well. Generally "clean" types of businesses, I would guess. There are retail establishments, restaurants, churches, storage facilities, but no industrial type stuff.

And there are limits of having basements and swimming pools. We cannot have a basement on our lot, but about 2 miles down, they can. We could have a swimming pool, but I'm not sure if there are any depth limits.

The benefits are that there is a lot of green space around here, lots of trees, parks, golf courses, walking paths. There's even 2-3 horse boarding/riding lessons places.

Not sure if that is helpful for you.

We live on the East Coast and I don't think droughts are very common here, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Looks like this is nothing really to worry about then!
QUOTE]

Actually draughts are quite common on the east coast. Not that I'd make that a reason to get nervous, but we have them all the time. I'm sure this year will be one due to no snow pack to fill up the rivers during melting season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter