• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moving the Speedway????????

cindyfan

DIS Veteran
I heard from a co-worker that there were plans to move the WDW Speedway. Anyone know anything about this???

He said that they realized it was too close to the resorts and that they wanted to build better stands.
Are the stands "mobile"??
I've never been to the speedway.

I doubt that. As far as I know, the Speedway has not been used for any events for several years now, and it would be quite costly to tear the thing down and rebuild it elsewhere on property. The Driving Experience alone certainly doesn't justify this sort of investment.
I think it is much more likely that they will simply shut down the Speedway and let it sit there.

I think not.

First of all I doubt they just now "realized" how close it was to the resorts when it is not really near any of them. It is at the end of MK parking.
they wanted to build better stands.
The stands are not permanent. They are erected on a temporary basis when they have or should I say had races. (the Disney 200)

Dznefreek - First of all I doubt they just now "realized" how close it was to the resorts when it is not really near any of them.

Actually, it is very close to the Polynesion. In some houses actually, that are closer to the Speedway, it has been said that guests can hear the cars at the Speedway.

In 1999 I was at WDW in January while a race was going on. We were at Epcot in World Showcase and could hear the cars. I wonder how loud it was at the Polynesian, The Grand Floridian and the Contemporary.

My understanding was originally the speedway was a temp onne and if the races and such went well they were to build a perm one nearby.

Wow! I just went to IndyRacing.com and I did not realize that they were not running the Disney 200 anymore. See how much of an open wheel racing fan I am!

I totally missed that one.

In the grand glorius way of thinking Disney made the track with less than needed angle or slope in the corners, basically it was supposed to be a multi use track, pro drivers hated it, it was unsafe to the IRL or Cart cars, even NASCAR wasn't happy.
Just another case of poor planning in the recent decade of Disney.

Staying at VWL I could hear the cars from the Driving Experience.

I could see them tearing it down and building it elsewhere as long as they were also planning on putting something in the current venue...in fact I could see them just tearing it out and replacing it with something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter