Moving from one resort to another- how does it work?

opaleyes

Mouseketeer
We're planning our trip for September of next year, and what we're hoping to do is spend the beginning of our week at either Pop Century or POFQ, and then spend the last two nights at POR in a Royal Room (if we can book one!). How does switching from one resort to another work? I know check out time for hotels is usually around 11, and check in is at 3, so... Could we check out of POFQ early, then take our luggage over to POR and leave it there until our room is ready? Would it be at all possible for us to just leave our luggage with the desk at POFQ and have them take it over to POR for us so we can get to the parks more quickly that day?

What do you all recommend? We've never stayed onsite before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Disney Bell Services will move your stuff for you. We find the best way to do the resort switch is to have them pick up the luggage first thing in the morning, check out of resort #1 and head off to a park for the day. Late in the day, we head to Resort #2, check in, and request our luggage be brought to the room. No muss, no fuss, and we don't miss out on a day at the parks!

Disney Bell Services will move your stuff for you. We find the best way to do the resort switch is to have them pick up the luggage first thing in the morning, check out of resort #1 and head off to a park for the day. Late in the day, we head to Resort #2, check in, and request our lugggae be brought to the room. No muss, no fuss, and we don't miss out on a day at the parks!

Sounds perfect! That's exactly what I was hoping for! Man, Disney is so awesome. :banana: Now we just have to hope we can book the rooms we want. We're still saving up, so we probably won't be able to book until December. Hopefully 9 months out will be enough time!

Is there a charge for the service to move luggage? We are going Oct 23-29 with a pin (40 off) at the Poly but now I want to add Oct 22. As of now it is full rate at the Poly so I was thinking of trying a moderate for the night of the 22nd and then moving to the Poly.

Is there a charge for the service to move luggage? We are going Oct 23-29 with a pin (40 off) at the Poly but now I want to add Oct 22. As of now it is full rate at the Poly so I was thinking of trying a moderate for the night of the 22nd and then moving to the Poly.

There is no charge; it is one of the perks of staying on-site.

Sounds like you've gotten great info so far. There is no charge, but tipping bellmen is generally customary. Do remember to have a little cash on hand if you plan on tipping. :)

It is easy to use Disney's service, just keep in mind that your bags will not show up at the second resort until late afternoon. Likely sometime after 4pm. If you have any items like meds, swmsuits, etc. that you need in that time frame, you might consider carrying them.

Typically you also have to call to get your bags delivered to your room when you use lugaage transfer services. Also, you bags are kept in a climate controlled environment, so they shouldn't be sitting out in the hot sun all afternoon.

You also added that the majority of your trip is at the first hotel, so likely you mean a room only reservation at the second. If your second stay is a 'package' you won't be able to access any of the package elements until you check-in at that resort. Like if you had the meal plan on your second reservation. You can check-in at any time, even if your room is not yet ready.

If on the other hand you have a package deal for your first stay - then keep in mind your dining credits do not expire until midnight ofthe day you check out of that resort; so you can use them after 11am. Park tickets, without the no expiration - are good for 14 days from first use.

Sounds like you've gotten great info so far. There is no charge, but tipping bellmen is generally customary. Do remember to have a little cash on hand if you plan on tipping. :)

It is easy to use Disney's service, just keep in mind that your bags will not show up at the second resort until late afternoon. Likely sometime after 4pm. If you have any items like meds, swmsuits, etc. that you need in that time frame, you might consider carrying them.

Typically you also have to call to get your bags delivered to your room when you use lugaage transfer services. Also, you bags are kept in a climate controlled environment, so they shouldn't be sitting out in the hot sun all afternoon.

You also added that the majority of your trip is at the first hotel, so likely you mean a room only reservation at the second. If your second stay is a 'package' you won't be able to access any of the package elements until you check-in at that resort. Like if you had the meal plan on your second reservation. You can check-in at any time, even if your room is not yet ready.

If on the other hand you have a package deal for your first stay - then keep in mind your dining credits do not expire until midnight ofthe day you check out of that resort; so you can use them after 11am. Park tickets, without the no expiration - are good for 14 days from first use.
Thanks so much for all the great info. So, if we were to stay at POR for the first night (room only ressie) and then move to the Poly for the rest of our stay (package with dining/tickets), we would need to go to the Poly first thing in the morning to get our tickets before heading to the park. Sound right? Can we go early morning on Sunday (say 8-9am)?

Thanks so much for all the great info. So, if we were to stay at POR for the first night (room only ressie) and then move to the Poly for the rest of our stay (package with dining/tickets), we would need to go to the Poly first thing in the morning to get our tickets before heading to the park. Sound right? Can we go early morning on Sunday (say 8-9am)?

Absolutely. We've pre-registered (checked-in) even earlier than that to get our tickets, parking pass etc.

Like everybody says, it really IS a piece of cake, except that you don't have a room for a certain amount of time....

Sounds perfect! That's exactly what I was hoping for! Man, Disney is so awesome. :banana: Now we just have to hope we can book the rooms we want. We're still saving up, so we probably won't be able to book until December. Hopefully 9 months out will be enough time!

What are you waiting for? Book now and reserve what is available. You only need to put down $200 and it is fully refundable up until 45 or 90 days out (I can't remember exactly).

Yes and yes. So you are *generally* better to do it the other way. Make the package the first, and bulk part of your trip.

I tend to book WDW before airfare. More than once, I've discovered going a day early or late is much less $. So we've done both pre and post package one nighters. Pre-package splurge has two problems. One, it's more fun to go from value to deluxe than to go from deluxe to a value. Two - it always pays to hit the parks early. Getting TO your second resort via WDW transport - especially early inthe morning can be time consuming. Get a taxi or rental car. OR - make the switch mid-trip and accept that your transfer day will be relaxed pace.

I'll add....if you do end up doing the one night prepackage non-park day deluxe resort splurge, consider club level:

Club costs about $100-150 flat rate per day above reg deluxe rates. You get: beer/wine ($5+ a pop elsewhere), unlimited non-alcohol drinks, light breakfast (no eggs/bacon but almost everything else: fruit, yogurt, cereals, breads, milk), evening desserts, light mid-day snacks (goldfish, apples, cookies) and 5-7pm appetizers. The appetizers aren't dinner, just a nice supplement. You still have to get your own lunch and/or dinner. A downside is that you have to go there. One upside is that it's close/quick. All club levels have amazing latte machines. With the push of a button a latte appears in front of you! In a real cup! No nasty refillable mugs.

So it's not worthwhile for one adult, but if you've got four adults who plan to have an adult beverage each afternoon, or kids who like fresh fruit in your party then $100 is almost reasonable.

Beyond that, club level gives you added staff. Club staff can't do much beyond answering questions, booking ADR's- but those can be a huge time saver/stress-reducer Time at WDW = money. When problems happen; they know who to call. This includes helping your hotel transfer go smoothly!

The advantage of postpackage splurge is that your DDP credits don't expire until midnight, and you only need one set of park tickets. The disadvantage is that you will be tempted to spend the day inthe parks - and not enjoying the deluxe resort amenties.

What are you waiting for? Book now and reserve what is available. You only need to put down $200 and it is fully refundable up until 45 or 90 days out (I can't remember exactly).

So, we'd only need to put down $200 as a deposit, even if we're booking two different resorts? Or do we need to do $200 for each? Either way, I still have to wait a little while, as we don't even have $200 saved up yet (there's a reason we're giving ourselves over a year to save!).

$200 for each resort for packages. Room only res. deposit is 1 night stay.

I don't now how many you are of how much luggage. But if you just have a carry on & 1 other bag, you could prob just wheel the luggage over to POR from FQ, to check in. If room isn't ready, leave it with Bell Service.

I've never moved that close by :laughing: But I prefer to take a cab early morning with my luggage to new resort and check in. If room isn't ready I leave luggage with Bell Service. Then still able to get to parks at rope drop.
You are allowed to check in early. Personally, I think you may get better room selection the earlier you check in.

$200 for each resort for packages. Room only res. deposit is 1 night stay.

I don't now how many you are of how much luggage. But if you just have a carry on & 1 other bag, you could prob just wheel the luggage over to POR from FQ, to check in. If room isn't ready, leave it with Bell Service.

I've never moved that close by :laughing: But I prefer to take a cab early morning with my luggage to new resort and check in. If room isn't ready I leave luggage with Bell Service. Then still able to get to parks at rope drop.
You are allowed to check in early. Personally, I think you may get better room selection the earlier you check in.

We'd be doing room only, as we intend to buy annual passes. So it'd be one night's worth of POFQ, and one night's worth of POR-Royal Room, yes?

It'll just be my husband and I. Last time we traveled we each had a rolling suitcase, and we had some re-usable grocery bags with food for breakfast in the rooms. And I think one carry-on type bag. We'll be driving, so we can always drive over to POR and try to check in extra early, and drop our bags off if necessary.

So here's another question- since we plan to buy annual passes (once we've saved up enough), should we mention that when we book? I mean, we don't have them yet, so... I guess we'll have to call back and adjust things if an AP discount for the resorts comes out in the months before our trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter