Move That Hat! Move The Sorcerer's Hat from view of the chinese theater

If you look at the pictures of the street with the hat and without it looks much less cluttered without the hat. I am not a fan of the hat. I like it moved to the front of the park. That was pretty cool. :thumbsup2

Took the words right out of my mouth. While I am fervently in favor of moving the hat elsewhere to restore the complete-ness of the "old Hollywood" theming, you would NEVER hear anyone complain that Cinderella Castle just doesn't fit in with 1901 Marcelline, Missouri. Although it's not exactly a double standard (you can't really compare the publicity department-created hat to the iconic castle), is does prove that Disney can even make anachorisms work.

While they're busy re-locating the hat, they should update the GMR to again make it the park's hallmark attraction. But that's for another thread...;)

But the Castle *isn't* a part of Main Street USA. It is the center of the wheel. You have the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fanasy, and the hub is the jumping off point.
But using your analogy, how about if Disney recreated a 50 foot fibergalss Babe the Big Blue Ox where the Partners statue stands(since he better fits the period of Main Street) Now the only way to see the castle is to look up. And instead of telling your friends to meet you in front of the castle, you meet them under the blue cow.

But the Castle *isn't* a part of Main Street USA.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think that really matters; it certainly is just as visible from Main Street as the hat is on Hollywood Boulevard.
But using your analogy, how about if Disney recreated a 50 foot fibergalss Babe the Big Blue Ox where the Partners statue stands(since he better fits the period of Main Street) Now the only way to see the castle is to look up. And instead of telling your friends to meet you in front of the castle, you meet them under the blue cow.
Well, that's one way to twist it, but my analogy isn't any more tortured than yours. Certainly is is possible to create something that is more objectionable than the castle, and I think a 50-foot statue of a man and a blue ox would fit that bill. Although collected stories of the two were apparently first published and gained popularity around the time represented by Main Street USA, gigantic statues of the type you describe fit the theme no better than a castle, and the stories themselves are set almost a century earlier, for the most part.

Arguing that the castle doesn't truly fit the theme of Main Street wasn't meant as a challenge to come up with something worse! If you recall, I said I don't dislike the hat per se, but I agree it should be moved. You seem to be responding as if I said I wanted it to stay where it is. I don't. I just like for people to make consistent arguments. I say it is inconsistent to argue that the hat should be moved because it doesn't fit the theme and then turn around and defend the castle being visually a part of Main Street. It doesn't matter whether the castle is technically a part of Main Street; the design of the street is set up to draw your eye toward it. Neither fits the theme of where they are (the castle does fit well enough from the other side, as a part of Fantasyland). Of course, I love the castle and have much less attachment to the hat.

To be fair, the castle was a day-one feature of the Magic Kingdom and everything there was designed around it being there; it doesn't block something else that was once there. The hat was a design afterthought and does block the theater. But arguing "it doesn't fit the theme" isn't such a cut-and-dried argument, and it is usually presented as if it is some sort of "ace-in-the-hole" and that it trumps all other reasoning. It doesn't.

Scott

I remember being at MGM...err, DHS when it was under construction. I remember commenting to DW that they must be building something grand,boy was i wrong :rotfl2:

little did i know they were building an oversized structure to sell trinkets...oh wait, isn't that what the attractions are? :rotfl:

No NO!!!! i love the Hat i think it is such a fab feature of the studio and would miss it if it was taken away

I have a plan , we could all appear as a flash mob say 1:05 pm . As we start bustin a move we could all get under the hat and move it to the end of the tram drop off point. People would think it is all part of the show. We are going to need a lot of dancers . Whos in!!!!:banana::dance3:

I don't like the hat being where it is...but they're never going to move it. So I'm not joining any movements to get it moved.

I have a plan , we could all appear as a flash mob say 1:05 pm . As we start bustin a move we could all get under the hat and move it to the end of the tram drop off point. People would think it is all part of the show. We are going to need a lot of dancers . Whos in!!!!:banana::dance3:

:dance3: Count me in!

Hi It is not just about the Chinese Theater Vs the Hat. It is about the Hat disturbing the illusion of old Hollywood. There are scores of themed buildings and they are based on real Hollywood area buildings . I could recognize some like the Max Factor building The Cross Roads , the photo shop. the Fairfax Market. Doing research wanting to find more I found this wonderfull site yesterland.com this guy found all the real buildings that were the insperation and offers side by side comparison photos . It is fantastic . So unless you are looking at The Disney Hollywood Studios with horse blinders on the amazing giant themed area in general is disturbed by this alien sureal giant blue hat.
Check out yesterland.com and please move the hat. :thumbsup2:dance3:

Hi It is not just about the Chinese Theater Vs the Hat. It is about the Hat disturbing the illusion of old Hollywood. There are scores of themed buildings and they are based on real Hollywood area buildings . I could recognize some like the Max Factor building The Cross Roads , the photo shop. the Fairfax Market. Doing research wanting to find more I found this wonderfull site yesterland.com this guy found all the real buildings that were the insperation and offers side by side comparison photos . It is fantastic . So unless you are looking at The Disney Hollywood Studios with horse blinders on the amazing giant themed area in general is disturbed by this alien sureal giant blue hat.
Check out yesterland.com and please move the hat. :thumbsup2:dance3:

Agreed, I like the hat but not there... put it somewhere else...

Also, the ten year anniversary of the hat is coming up in Sept.

I'm in too! :cool1::banana::cool1::banana::dance3::cheer2:

I don't think they are allowed to, legally speaking. Didn't their contract with MGM dissolve and that was the reason for the icon change and the name change of the park? Or am I mis-remembering it or participating in hearsay?

I don't believe that the MGM contract ending has anything to do with the hat. MGM didn't own the Earful Tower, Disney built it themselves. MGM's name had to be removed from the Studio, but that wouldn't affect the Earful Tower, some paint would have taken care of that easily.

Also, MGM didn't own the theater so there was no need to change/block that.

And just to be clear, although I wish the BAH wasn't in front of the theater I don't hate it. Just its location.

Hey Imagineers ,When you are planing the new fantastic entrance to California Adventure and you recreate the Carthay Theater where Snow White premired. Why not plan to build a 150 foot blue plastic hat 25 feet in front of the theater.
See how crazy that sounds.
Yet in Florida we have just that . On this 10 year anniversary of the stupid hat please realize that it has outlived its welcome. remove it and the whole park will be more tightly themed and beautifull.

I am for the hat, at least it's original. The Chinese theater isn't original, it's a copy of an icon from Hollywood. I have seen the real one , multiple times, it's great..in Hollywood. When I am in Disney I want to feel Disney ..thats what I get from the hat. I am glad they have the hat where it is and as the park icon. It shows more originality for the people at Disney then slapping a pre-exsisting building from California in their parks. Could the imagineers have done bette than the hat being a pin store (kiosk)....YES.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter