Mousekeeping?

tpmorley

Queen of Hearts
How much is the expected tip per day for Mousekeeping? Is it the same at every resort? Where do you usually leave it so they will find it?

I tip $2 per person per day. We were at AS Music. Others tip $1 pppd. It just depends on your budget and what you are used to paying. I plan on doing the same this year.

I made daily envelopes and left them near the sink. They did a very good job for us.

Remember to tip daily because you may not have the same mousekeeper every day.

I printed out the Mousekeeping envelopes and left one each morning on our pillows. On our wedding anniversary, we were thanked by Mousekeeping with a bouquet of towel roses.

we tipped $5.00 every 3rd day of our stay. Just left it under her name card on the table. she knew it was for her ..we got different woodland animal towels everyday and a great clean room.. ;)

I've read that people tip per person, per day. How do you know how many Mousekeepers are going to be cleaning your room each day? Is there more than one Mousekeeper cleaning your room per day? Normally, there is one cleaning person per room or I am mistaken about this? I just want to be fair to everyone. I'd hate to only leave $2.00 or $3.00 per day thinking that there was only one person cleaning, when in fact, there are 2 or more people cleaning our room!! :confused3

Thanks for the help!!

Welcome to the DIS, Mickeyluv! :wave:

Mickeyluv, when people say they tip per person per day, it's based on the number of people staying in the room. So, if someone is a family of three, and they tip per person, they leave a $3 tip each morning. There is usually only one mousekeeper assigned to each room.

Karen

How about if you're traveling solo? Leaving only a dollar seems a little cheap, but then again I never leave a mess. Without thinking, I frequently make my bed as soon as I get out of it and the towel and washcloth from the night before is usually folded and placed on the back of the toilet.

We tip about $5.00 a day. I too make up Mousekeeping envelopes (with help from the kids) and leave it either on the pillow or on top of the tv. I usually put the money in there before we leave so that we aren't scrambling in the morning to make sure we have smaller bills.

My family of 4 leaves $5 a day in a special Mousekeeping envelope and I leave it either on the mirror in the bathroom or on the bed or on the table.

There are people who will come and tell you that Disney does not consider it a tipped position but we like to tip them.

Just wondering if anyone DOES NOT tip...not to start anything here, just wondering. We didn't until last year when we stayed at AKL. Honestly, it didn't occur to us that it was something most people did. I worked at an upscale hotel as a maid in high school and tips were rarely left for anyone, so I just always thought few people did this.

aubriee said:
How about if you're traveling solo? Leaving only a dollar seems a little cheap, but then again I never leave a mess. Without thinking, I frequently make my bed as soon as I get out of it and the towel and washcloth from the night before is usually folded and placed on the back of the toilet.

Aubriee, I travel solo a lot, and when I'm by myself, I usally tip $2 a day. Sometimes I'll tip more if I'm in a nice place.

Karen

When you check in Disney gives you a resort "newspaper" that gives tipping guidelines. Housekeeping is not listed as a "tipped" position. Many of us chose to tip. There are some positions that are "tipped" positions. Tips is the major source of their compensation. Valet, waiter, bellhop are examples. People who don't tip are literally expecting the person to work for free.

Housekeeping in Disney IS NOT an example.

Lewisc said:
When you check in Disney gives you a resort "newspaper" that gives tipping guidelines. Housekeeping is not listed as a "tipped" position. Many of us chose to tip. There are some positions that are "tipped" positions. Tips is the major source of their compensation. Valet, waiter, bellhop are examples. People who don't tip are literally expecting the person to work for free.

Housekeeping in Disney IS NOT an example.

:rolleyes: I knew this thread was eventually going to take this turn even though the OP didn't ask 'if' they should tip, but "how much" and "where" to put it. To each their own.

These ladies work hard and deal with a lot. They are providing a service to make our vacations nicer. Many of these ladies are immigrants, and I think of my great-grandma when she came to New York ages ago, from Russia. She made very little money and sent much of it back home to family. So I always tip the Mousekeepers. I usually leave $5 per day (we are a relatively tidy family of 4). With what Disney charges for things, an extra $5 a day isn't going to break me, but it may help make a difference in the standard of living for the person who cleans the room. :flower:

beattyfamily said:
:rolleyes: I knew this thread was eventually going to take this turn even though the OP didn't ask 'if' they should tip, but "how much" and "where" to put it. To each their own.

I generally tip housekeeping. The OP asked "how much is the expected tip" and the expected tip is ZERO since housekeeping is not a tipped position. There was a survey posted in the NY Times a year or so ago that said 70% of all hotel guests DON'T tip housekeeping.

I think it important to separate positions in which tipping is all but required such as waiters, valets, bellhops from positions in which tipping is optional such as housekeeping.

Lewisc said:
I generally tip housekeeping. The OP asked "how much is the expected tip" and the expected tip is ZERO since housekeeping is not a tipped position. There was a survey posted in the NY Times a year or so ago that said 70% of all hotel guests DON'T tip housekeeping.

I think it important to separate positions in which tipping is all but required such as waiters, valets, bellhops from positions in which tipping is optional such as housekeeping.
wow. Thats all I say. wow. :sad2:

Ok we dont tip. We did not know we were supposed to and anyway we really dont have the money to spare. I had never heard of tipping them before these boards. Maybe we will next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter