Mousekeeping tips ?

AS long as they are allowed to keep the tips I will keep tipping. I had read that they were not allowed to keep them but instead had to turn them in. I was tempted not to tip simply on matter of this =/

Glad to know the housekeepers CAN keep the tips :goodvibes
I always believe in tipping for services. Its how I was raised and how I raise my kids.

The envelopes... err.. sometimes we do them sometimes not. I usually have my DD decorate some as she is the artist in the family and it keeps her busy!

I am glad to finally hear that my tips do indeed stay with the housekeeper :thumbsup2

We have make up Mousekeeping envelopes at home (decorated with markers and Disney stickers) and pre-filled them with a tip for each nite of our stay.

We always tip housekeeping regardless of where we stay, but I am never sure just how much per night to leave. I use to leave 4-5 dollars per night but still not sure if that is enough. I know on cruise lines they suggest $3 per day per person. If you think about how much $ they are probably making ( I can not imagine it is to much over min wage) and what they have to do maybe the amount of tip should be more like $8-9 night for three people.
What do other people usually leave?

I can't imagine that some people don't tip???!!!

I tip $5.00 per day for 4 of us. I usually try to keep the room pretty well picked up but I always make the mousekeeping envelopes at home & they are all ready when we get there. Every morning I leave it on the sink. I know I have been reading alot on the boards lately about not tipping but after reading this thread I will continue to tip!!:thumbsup2

I'm not sure when this rule was put into place... but I remember hearing that the tip had to be offered 3 times in order for someone in a non-tipping role to take it (leaving it the room is different of course). I think the concern comes from other guests seeing it happen and then they feeling pressured to tip as well. I'm pretty sure this role is also applicable to other CMs who work in the parks (merchandise, attractions, etc).

Also, a GREAT way to recognize a CM is to write a letter - complete with their name - after you go home. We have a special publication that highlights these types of letters and if a CM is recognized in a letter they get a special reward designed just for Guest Letters. Since so many Guests remember CMs based on location, not always their name, it's considered a big deal to be specifically called out.

I'm not sure when this rule was put into place... but I remember hearing that the tip had to be offered 3 times in order for someone in a non-tipping role to take it (leaving it the room is different of course). I think the concern comes from other guests seeing it happen and then they feeling pressured to tip as well. I'm pretty sure this role is also applicable to other CMs who work in the parks (merchandise, attractions, etc).

Also, a GREAT way to recognize a CM is to write a letter - complete with their name - after you go home. We have a special publication that highlights these types of letters and if a CM is recognized in a letter they get a special reward designed just for Guest Letters. Since so many Guests remember CMs based on location, not always their name, it's considered a big deal to be specifically called out.
:thanks:

We've tipped housekeeping for as long as I can remember. I leave a dollar per person per day, extra if I've asked for something extra like shampoo or if I've spilled powder or crumbs on the carpet. Another thing I do is keep my room tidy (well, except for the powder thing :)) I don't think they should have to pick up our personel things to be able to clean underneath it.

Well, I learned a bit through this thread...I did not think about tipping per day for the reasons previously stated. So now I know!

Do you leave that daily gratuity just lying out; or put it in an envelope? Address the envelope to...? Is there a language barrier that would pertain to whatever is written on the envelope?

Inquiring minds want to know!

OT...My trip is not until September; but I can not stay off these boards!
Every night, after I swear I won't get on the computer...there I am, :surfweb: reading the DIS.
What the heck is wrong w/me?!?! :earseek:

We tipped about $4 a day on our trip last year. It was always taken but once we left the tip, we NEVER got another towel animal. I know this type of thing is for fun and tipping should happen regardless, but it almost seemed like once we tipped we DID NOT get the extra service like we did before we left the tip.

A few years ago I helped out a friend who owns a motel and was really surprised at how much work it was to tidy up after others! I also realized I keep a very tidy room!!! That said, I still tip $3 t0 $5 depending on # in the room, if I asked for extra supplies, etc. We actually had several notes exchanged between our mousekeeper and our family during our last stay. Not sure if it had anything to do with tips, and communication, but we got 4 towel animals! I hand stamp envelopes before we leave home.

On our last trip I made up envelopes using a Disney print program and put our first names on the front. I also put Mickey and Minnie saying "Thank You very much". I started putting singles in the envelopes before we left so they were made up before we got there and I didn't have to worry about having extra to tip. By the end of a month I had all the tips done and I just left one out every morning on the night stand.

Eileen

We tip every day...quite honestly..we are a disaster! Shoes and stuffed animals everywhere! The poor soul who cleans up after us needs the extra money! It makes me feel better about having a mess ;)

We are not gross messy...but clutter messy....small room...4 people...you know! Anyway, I have always tipped..and I will continue.

Usually the housekeeper will leave a folded card with her name on it by the sink area. I just tuck the bills under the card. Years ago I got a template here for mousekeeping that you could print on plain envelopes. I'll put it on here if I can find it later.

For those of you who are looking for envelope designs for mousekeeping, check out the Creative DISigns section of this board. They have some REALLY cute designs that can be printed onto an envelope or onto sticker paper that can then be placed on any size of envelope. :goodvibes

I always try to tip, sometimes though i just forget...
This was a great thread with lots of good reminders.
I'll be sure to tip next month:woohoo:
Poor people they work hard for not a lot of money.

My parents owned a hotel in my adult life during summer I got see the down and dirty of hotel management. I put all my wet or dirty washclothes and towels in the bathtub. I make my bed and straighten my room before I leave in the morning.

I do make up tip envelopes using a design from the Disign forum.

That being said, I am sick of the constant hand out for a tip the minute I get off the airplane. The ME driver wants a tip for driving, the bellman wants a tip for showing me where my room is, then the luggage deliver man wants a tip when he delivers my luggage. Then the same in the return but add in the airline check in at the resort. Even worse is when I switch resorts mid trip and double the luggage and bellman!!!!

The only person who is never just standing there with their hand in my face is the mousekeeper. That is why I try to make her job as easy as possible and tip well for doing things for my family.

As a mousekeeper (not one anymore, thankfully - bless anyone that can do that hard, hard work for any length of time) I received tips, I was always told we were allowed to receive tips, management knew we got tips and sometimes would even flat out ask if a certain room (one with alot of special requests, etc) left a good one or not.

What are your thoughts on:

1) Right amount to tip per day (value, mod, deluxe) (per person?)?
2) How to leave the tip?
3) Where to put it?
4) Are we allowed to keep the towel animals?

Thanks.

I'm not sure when this rule was put into place... but I remember hearing that the tip had to be offered 3 times in order for someone in a non-tipping role to take it (leaving it the room is different of course).

I saw that (I think it has been clarified that Mousekeeping is a tipping job, not that they may get much tips). The rule is for CM's, and other such people. They are suppose to say "No", but with Disney's "Don't want to upset the customer", they can accept after the 3rd "no". However, they must then immediately give it to their Manager, or it is a firing offense. The money is then put into a pot for treats and other such common splurges for the group. Since the CM doesn't benefit from the Tip, there is no incentive for them to work harder for one (give everyone the same service), nor somehow encourage the guest to give a tip.

What are your thoughts on:

1) Right amount to tip per day (value, mod, deluxe) (per person?)?
2) How to leave the tip?
3) Where to put it?
4) Are we allowed to keep the towel animals?

Thanks.

1) $1 per person per day, regardless of level of hotel. If you're exceptionally messy or exceptionally generous, you can double that.
2) & 3) I leave cash in a little "thank you" envelope. Or you can tuck it under the name card they leave "your room is cleaned by" or whatever it says. Or you can leave it on the pillow of the unmade bed. Have had the tips picked up from all three spots.
4) yes you can keep towel animals. We didn't, but we have no little kids so we figured we'd save the maid some work & she can re-gift the ones she left in our room. They're cute & all, but seriously they're just old towels with a few rubber bands & stickers for features;)

I always tip and leave it everyday on the table in a mousekeeping envelope. If our mousekeeper has been kind enough to leave us a card with her name on it, I do put her name on it. I also write a short note thanking her explicitly for the nice things she has done for us and I make it brief. On our last day, I do leave a tip and a note, and if we had to leave anything behind, i.e. pool noodles a long time ago at All Star Music, I ask if she would please take them, and if she didn't want them, to give them to someone she thought might appreciate them. Last time, we were at Downtown Disney on our last night, and I left a nice "dreams" bath salts, a note, and a tip for our mousekeeper to thank her for helping our dreams come true. I think it's really important to give the magic back. I shall definitely ask about the Guest Fanatic Card. Often, CM's at the parks and restaurants have been incredibly kind, and I never knew how to get them the recognition they deserve.
Thank you all for the great information,
and happy trips to all,
d

I tip according to service. Last trip we only had Mousekeeping come into the room twice for a sprucing up. I tipped her well at the beginning of the stay, and at the end. It's fairly easy for me to track down our Mousekeeper, introduce myself and then tip her in person. :)

Usually for a tip if we have a pretty dirty room going in, and Mouskeeping isn't up to par, then the tip reflects that. I tipped our Mousekeeper at POP far better than anyone else so far since she really did an outstanding job. :)

For bell services I tip a dollar a bag and then anything else on top of that for extra service, friendliness, etc. Same thing for waiters.

I tipped over and above 30 % for two of our waiters this past trip because they not only brought me coffee - they also brought me a whole entire pot! First time on a WDW trip that I even got a refill of my initial coffee cup, and here they are bringing me pots! It was heaven I tell you, and it was well worth the extra tip. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter