• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mourning long gone rides

krispe67

Earning My Ears
Well being a long time fan of the Disney parks I have been going since I was a kid. I thought that I would start up a thread on those rides that we miss. I used to love Mr. Toads Wild Ride. That was always fun for all ages. The other ride that I miss that I really enjoyed was the EXtreme Alien Encounter. I only ever was in the park once when I saw it and it is now gone. I guess that it has been replaced by Stitches Great Escape although I have been on this one yet and may not this trip with a 3YO I am sure that it will not live up to the EXtreme Alien Encounter. I was only on this once back in 1997 and my friend and I thought this was an awesome ride. Although granted not meant for little kids or anyone with a weak heart. It was refreshing to see a ride done to the detail that this was and to Disney standards but not your standard Disney Ride. So what rides do you miss that are no longer in the WDW. I have to admit that the loss of 20,000 Leagues under the sea was not a big loss. Even as a kid I thought that it was cheesy because you could look up and see the surface or look down into the water and see the track.

Kris

I really miss "World of Motion":sad2:
I love test track but I wish they hadn't torn down world of motion. I thought it was really cute.

oh, and I also miss Horisons

when i think back, my most vivid memories are mr. toad (although i occasionally get my fill at disneyland), mission to mars, communicore and the astuter computer revue/backstage magic

I miss the ORIGINAL Journey Into Imagination most of all (I get teary-eyed when I watch a video). Second would have to be Horizons.

Mark me down for 20k. I always thought that looking up and seeing the surface was part of the fun. :)

Also mark me down for "If You Had Wings." I absolutely loved that attraction as a kid and would ride it over and over again. It helped that it was a "free" attraction and didn't require a ticket.

I ditto Brad on Mr. Toad. The DL version isn't exactly the same, but it's close enough to satisfy my Toad Hall needs. :thumbsup2

I miss Horizons! It was a favorite of mine as a kiddo. In fact, anything with "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is/was! I also miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the thing where you rode in the car on the cable between Fantasyland and I forget where. I know this has a name, it's escaping me right now!

I miss Horizons! It was a favorite of mine as a kiddo. In fact, anything with "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is/was! I also miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the thing where you rode in the car on the cable between Fantasyland and I forget where. I know this has a name, it's escaping me right now!

SkyWay.

I miss Delta DreamFlight, and the original Imagination.

I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

20K would be cool to still have around.

If DH could pick, he'd say 20K and SkyWay.

I don't think that I'd ever get back on the SkyWay again. Last time, it stopped several times (once for what seemed like 30min - although I was 7 so maybe not that long). My brother kept trying to make the car sway. I was TERRIFIED. I'm still scared of heights. Never again.

Speaking of the SkyWay, though, why DID they take it away? Anyone know?

why depends on who you ask. i think the official reason was budgetary. they claimed the ridership was too low.

I miss the Sky line and the old Lion King show they had where Mickey's Philarmagic is now! Don't get me wrong I love Mickey's Philarmagic but I just wish they added to the park and didn't replace over the Lion King. :confused3

I'll vote for "If You Had Wings" - it was airconditioned, had a catchy tune, and there was never a line (unless you were foolish enough to follow a Brazilian tour group)(yes, they had those groups even back then).

(1) Horizons

(2) Spaceship Earth with Walter Cronkite narrating

(3) World of Motion

I really don't mind change too much. The new things are usually great (there are occasional exceptions). But I do have fond memories of our experiences riding these when my son was young.

Ahhh -- the smell of oranges in Horizons!

I miss the Body Wars ride and the other rides/shows from that pavilion. Also, I miss the Hunchback of Notre Dame show at Disney Studios.

I miss the Body Wars ride and the other rides/shows from that pavilion. Also, I miss the Hunchback of Notre Dame show at Disney Studios.

I completely forgot about the WoL attractions. Of those, I think I'll miss Cranium Command the most.

Since this discussion is really more about theme park rememberances than theme park strategies, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

Oh.... I forgot about Wonders of Life also. I miss the whole pavillion. Body wars was great and cranium command was really fun:rotfl:

Alien Encounter was without a doubt my favorite retired attraction. There's nothing that compares. It was funny, scary, and you had to admire the creativity and technology that went into creating such an immersive ride. I was so mad when I saw they were getting rid of it and even more angry when I experienced Stitch for the first time...

I also miss Mr. Toad and the Dreamfinder version of Journey into the Imagination.

Oh how I miss Alein Encounter(or whatever the "real" name was) I absolutely loath Stitch:headache: ; I rode it once and never will again.
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was also one of my favorites. BTW I hate you Californians because ya'll still have it......:rolleyes: :upsidedow I never really liked World of Motion or 20k Leagues Under the Sea so I don't mind those being gone.

I really miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I remember crying about that when I heard it was closing. I still think it's better than the Winnie the Pooh ride

Horizons
Journey Into Imagination (The original)
Alien Encounter
Enchanted Tiki Room (The original)

I was sad to see Food Rocks! go. I thought it was cute, and I think my son would have adored it. I, too, miss Mr. Toad and the original Journey Into Imagination. That was my favorite ride as a kid(at Epcot, anyway).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter