Motorized scooters on Monorail/Boat?

diswiththree

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at BC and have ADRs at O'hana and Kona. We will take the bus from BC to MK. We will need to take the monorail or boat from MK to Poly. Can motorized scooters travel on the monorail and/or boat? My mother will have one with a canopy. Will that be problematic?

TIA!

The monorail is not a problem at all. Most of the boats are also not a problem. However, the smaller yachts, such as the ones from MK to GF and Poly may be a problem.

And many people who have rented with a canopy say that the canopy is more of a problem than an assist.

Monorail and big ferry, okay.

For the smaller boats, sometimes (depending on time of day too) the water level is such that the gangplank is too steep.

The monorails are no problem, although, as mentioned, the canopycan obscure your view somewhat, especially for backing up.

The big boats are usually not a problem.
The small boats are not accessible at all to am ECV. They require a step down into the boat.

There is more information and some pictures in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can follow the link in my signature to get there. Post #1 in the thread is an index to where to find things in the thread.

So, as far as big boats vs. small boats, which ones are used to get from MK to Poly? That's the only time we would have to do this. If she can't take the boat, I guess I could take the kids on the boat while she and my father take the monorail. The kids really want to take the boat one of the two times we need to get there.

And does the canopy make it difficult just getting on and off the buses? Maybe we should not be getting the canopy. She had seen someone with it last summer and thought it might keep the sun off of her a bit.

My experience is a good wide brim hat is better than the canopy. No problems with a hat being in the way, if it is just take it off and store it somewhere. You would also need to take the canopy down at all the shows and parades, if you want to be polite, so that those behind you can see around and over you.

I wouldn't do it. If you insist on it maybe you should take it off on those occasions where it would be more difficult. Although, I can't tell you how hard or easy this may be to do or the tools you would need to do it. I talked once to a person at the park that had a canopy scooter and she stated they come by car to all the parks.

Also, I've heard a few horror stories using scooters on the monorail from other posters; I have no personal experience, here. We avoid the monorail with a scooter. I don't even like the ramp getting up to the platform. You need an attendant (CM) to lay down a ramp for you to get on and off the monorail. I hear it's not too bad getting on, but some have complained there's no CM around when getting off; so, you're stuck. Eventually, it works out, but it's frustrating; because, the CMs are not exactly there when you want them to have the ramp. They are dealing with wheelchairs, too. I've heard some standing capable companions had to scream and even run to get a CM to lay down the ramp.

Sunglasses and a good sun shielding hat (that won't fly off) would be best in my opinion.

I don't know how old your parents are, but I would not separate from them.

I'll be truthful and I would skip even going to places that were hard if I really wanted the canopy on the scooter. There are plenty of places to eat without making it complicated. You can tell I'm a realist.

So, as far as big boats vs. small boats, which ones are used to get from MK to Poly? That's the only time we would have to do this. If she can't take the boat, I guess I could take the kids on the boat while she and my father take the monorail. The kids really want to take the boat one of the two times we need to get there.

The MK & Poly boat is a small "launch" and is not accessible. With a scooter you have to take the monorail.

I wouldn't do it. If you insist on it maybe you should take it off on those occasions where it would be more difficult. Although, I can't tell you how hard or easy this may be to do or the tools you would need to do it. I talked once to a person at the park that had a canopy scooter and she stated they come by car to all the parks.

Also, I've heard a few horror stories using scooters on the monorail from other posters; I have no personal experience, here. We avoid the monorail with a scooter. I don't even like the ramp getting up to the platform. You need an attendant (CM) to lay down a ramp for you to get on and off the monorail. I hear it's not too bad getting on, but some have complained there's no CM around when getting off; so, you're stuck. Eventually, it works out, but it's frustrating; because, the CMs are not exactly there when you want them to have the ramp. They are dealing with wheelchairs, too. I've heard some standing capable companions had to scream and even run to get a CM to lay down the ramp.

Sunglasses and a good sun shielding hat (that won't fly off) would be best in my opinion.

I don't know how old your parents are, but I would not separate from them.

I'll be truthful and I would skip even going to places that were hard if I really wanted the canopy on the scooter. There are plenty of places to eat without making it complicated. You can tell I'm a realist.

I agree that the canopy is really more of a hassle that it's worh... sounds better in theory than practice!:rotfl:

A couple of years ago, there were quite a few complaints about the monorails, with the CM at the 'receiving' station not always prepared to get the wheelchair or ECV off.
We have personally not had any problems with the monorails on our last 2 trips (Oct 2009 and May 2010).

I frequently use the monorail with my scooter, and I can say that it has gotten MUCH better in the last year or so. Probably won't be necessary, but it does always help, though, to be aware and have a member of your party on the lookout for a monorail CM to flag down for a ramp. Whatever you do, however, don't grab one yourself from the stand! Just have somebody in your party stand there obstructing the doorway till somebody comes to get you, LOL. 90 times out of 100, though, a CM will be there or at the car next to you. The worst place I've found is the TTC returning from MK, where you would switch to the Epcot monorail, or go to the MK parking lot. Everywhere else is excellent, and greatly improved from a few years ago.

Just to let you know, however, when you get into the car you go in facing forward, no problem. Therefore, getting off, you back off, and that's where you may find a bit of difficulty. If you (or whoever is using the scooter) has never driven one on ramps before, you may want to keep this one thing in mind and be aware of it, or maybe let somebody else back it off. But when you do back it off down the ramp, just as you start to back down, there is about a two second "oh no" moment where it feels like you are backing into thin air! You aren't of course, but it feels like it. My DH didn't understand why every time I backed off I had a moment where I just froze for a second until I made him do it once - you should have seen the look of pure fear on his face! :laughing:

After that, its just a straight shot down the ramp, but if a member of your party can stand at the end of the ramp to kind of block the stampeding horde getting off the other parts of the monorail while the person on the scooter gets it going forward again, that would be helpful. Over the years, my family has gotten very good at known when and how to form a phalanx around me and the scooter or wheelchair - we probably look like a Roman army at times, especially after Illuminations, LOL!

You can take the big ferry from MK to the TTC. It lands right next to Poly and you can follow the sidewalk to where you are going.

About the monorail. If your mom is a novice scooter user, and she is mobile, I would suggest one of the younger ones of your party drive the scooter on/off the monorail. It is just a little tricky in that you want to put the scooter speed on low, yet if it's too low, it won't climb the ramp. When you turn up the speed, you might scoot into the far monorail wall before you get a chance to stop. It won't hurt, but everyone will notice and laugh at you.

For backing off, WAIT for the CM to bring the ramp. Have the CM wait at the bottom of the ramp to give guidance. It is nerve-wracking for a few seconds, you feel like maybe you are going to go off the side of the ramp and crash, or feel you will maybe go backwards into a crash. But really, it is just like backing out of the garage. Keep the wheel straight, and accelerate gently.

I agree that a wide-brimmed sun hat is better than the canopy. Sure, it will help with the sun (in some directions, not others). But your mom won't be able to see you guys, and you won't be able to see her. So interaction will be minimal. Also at parades & shows, it has to come down and I don't know how easy this would be. :)

Just an FYI, you could also walk/roll over to the Studios, then take a direct bus to the Poly.

One other thing I have noticed about the canopies is that they are only really helpful at certain times of day. When the sun is directly over your head, it will block, but much of the time, the sun will be peaking in the sides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter