• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Motionease?

snowiit

DIS Veteran
I saw this at Walmart today. It's a little vial of liquid. It says to put a drop behind each ear and withing 5 minutes it will help. We were considering trying seabands or ginger for my hubby but I wondered if anyone had tried this? Sounds similar to the patches some people get.

Interesting! Family going on first cruise in March and I'm very prone to motion sickness so any advice would be helpful.

I used Motionease along with seabands and I was able to control my motion sickness. I only used the drops behind the ears once a day but I kept my seabands on the entire time I was on the ship.

My DD and I tried it on our recent cruise. I will say it helped. I am a little prone to motion sickness - so I was prepared with that, and also with Bonine. But I really did not want to use the Bonine - I knew it would knock me out (sleep), and I prefer to avoid medications if at all possible.

We seemed most troubled with motion sickness in the MDR's in the evening. We carried it in our evening purse and used it. I won't say it took it completely away - but it did help significantly. Then when dinner was over we could get outside, take some fresh air, and see the movement of the ship comparative to the water, or the horizon - and that is what helped the most.

Good luck!

I saw this at Walmart today. It's a little vial of liquid. It says to put a drop behind each ear and withing 5 minutes it will help. We were considering trying seabands or ginger for my hubby but I wondered if anyone had tried this? Sounds similar to the patches some people get.

The product is called MotionEaze. The official website is at http://www.motioneaze.com/

According the their FAQ:

What are the ingredients?
MotionEaze and DiVertigo are all natural. They are a special formulation of Lavender, Peppermint, Birch, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang Ylang.​

In other words, it's an "herbal remedy" that may or may not help.

It is not similar to Transderm Scōp patch, which is a powerful, prescription-only drug (scopolamine). The patch tends to work very well, but some people suffer from side effects.

I have used MotionEase in the past with great success, especially in the car, for both myself and DD - we are both prone to motion sickness. I was COUNTING on it for our cruise. (I had used it once before on a different cruise and really felt like it helped.) I had the generic bonine with us (meclizine) if we needed it, but I was assuming we wouldn't so we didn't start taking it the day before as had been recommended on this board. I was worried about the side effects and that we would be "knocked out".

Well... first night crossing the Gulf Stream, and DD and I both had to leave dinner early. We attempted the show but both ended up in the bathroom and then in bed early. AFTER I gave us both a dose of the meclizine! I honestly can't say whether or not the MotionEase helped... maybe we would've been even worse without it... but it was definitely not sufficient. We took the meclizine at night the rest of the time (so if it made us sleepy, we had slept off the worst of it by morning), and we were fine again until the last night coming BACK across the Gulf Stream. But that night was MUCH better - we didn't feel the effects nearly as badly - I'm thinking the meclizine had to have helped.

Bottom line.... I used to SWEAR by the MotionEase, but for us, it was definitely NOT sufficient on this cruise. This time, DD and I will both start taking the meclizine the day before. I may or may not even take the MotionEase with us.

That's my experience with it. My mom has used it in a number of different settings and still swears by it... me... not so much anymore.....

I race sailboats and mostly stick to inland waters however, I few times I have been out on the ocean. I am prone to seasickness when sailing on the ocean and I use MotionEaze all the time. Ever since I started using it, I've never had any issues being in the ocean. Great product!!!

My DD and I tried it on our recent cruise. I will say it helped. I am a little prone to motion sickness - so I was prepared with that, and also with Bonine. But I really did not want to use the Bonine - I knew it would knock me out (sleep), and I prefer to avoid medications if at all possible.

We seemed most troubled with motion sickness in the MDR's in the evening. We carried it in our evening purse and used it. I won't say it took it completely away - but it did help significantly. Then when dinner was over we could get outside, take some fresh air, and see the movement of the ship comparative to the water, or the horizon - and that is what helped the most.

Good luck!

This is so helpful, will definitely get MotionEase along with the stronger meds/patches/bands, etc. I prefer not to take medications too but will if it helps. Question, is it ok to drink alcohol taking the stronger meds and/or wearing the bands? Also, what is MDR's?
Thanks again!

This is so helpful, will definitely get MotionEase along with the stronger meds/patches/bands, etc. I prefer not to take medications too but will if it helps. Question, is it ok to drink alcohol taking the stronger meds and/or wearing the bands? Also, what is MDR's?
Thanks again!

I'm with you on not taking meds if possible because I'm the type who suffers the side effects of pretty much all medications. I was hoping that the anti-nausea med I normally take (I have nausea issues to start with) would help, but had my doctor prescribe me the patch as well just in case. THANK GOODNESS I did that. Once I hit the dining room the first night I lost it and my anti-nausea med was doing NOTHING for me like it usually does. I was trying not to be sick right at the exact moment all the servers came to sing me happy birthday and deliver a dessert. How mortifying. Regardless, I had snuck off to put the patch on during dinner. It was too late for that night, but I figured it would help with the rest of the cruise, which it did amazingly. I did drink alcohol the entire time I had the patch on and I was ok. Did I go extremely overboard with the drinking? No, but I was able to have quite a few drinks throughout the day and managed without any side effects from mixing the two and wasn't knocked out from it either. I did take a few naps occasionally, but so did everyone else in my group and none of them were on meds so I equate that to just being exhausted from sleep schedules, sun, alcohol, running around doing everything and too much food.

I agree about the main dining rooms being the worst. We were in the Enchanted Garden our first night and with no windows it was awful for me. Once I was back on deck with fresh air and the horizon I was fine. After the patch, I got queazy again only once on our 3rd night, we were in AP. I just stared at everyone's water glasses to assure myself the boat really wasn't rocking that much and it worked like a charm.

...Once I was back on deck with fresh air and the horizon I was fine.

I would agree that having fresh air and being able to see the horizon are a great help in maintaining one's composure during rough seas. That, the occasional ginger chew, and Bonine keep me shipshape.

In the past I've used the patch, but it made me quite sleepy. My SIL swears by wristbands, but they do nothing for me. While whale watching in choppy seas I have maintained while others were being sick around me - without any aids at all except the fresh air and horizon. That and I was determined not to be sick! It worked and I think some aids help in the same way: they work because one believes that they work. [I'll never convince my SIL of that, though!]

We were on the Med. cruise back in June and were on a private tour of the Amalfi Coast. My 8 year-old son was in the back seat of the van and started feeling car sick because of the winding roads. Fortunately for me, I had put the bottle of MotionEaze in my backpack at the last minute. I had him put a few drops behind his ears, then repeat the process about three minutes later. He felt better almost immediately and didn't experience any further motion sickness for the rest of the day. Boy, was I glad I had it with me! Worked wonders.

Motioneze is the bomb. I've taken a bottle of it on every trip since we started sailing. I've only had to use it when the seas got really bad. I actually let someone down the hall from me use it (cause she was so sick she wouldn't leave her cabin) and after using it she offered me $20.00 for my small bottle. I told her to stop by whenever she needed it and she could use it for free. It worked that well.

I hope it works well for you. I don't fly or sail without it. Have a wonderful cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter