Motion Sickness Symptoms, Prevention & Remedies

We used store brand Bonine. They have it on the ship,complimentary, as well. I was glad I brought my own as I did not feel like tracking it down once my symptoms kicked in. We had rough seas pretty much every day.

Bonine worked for 1 cruise like a charm, the next cruise I vomited every single day despite taking it religiously. The 3rd cruise we took, I used the scopolamine patch. I was not sick at all. My family climbed Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, and I did the dry climb and took pictures. My vision was so blurry that you can't even tell who they were in any of the pictures. OOPS!! 2 days after I got home, I got severe vertigo which lasted about 2 weeks. I did lose 5 pounds though. Next cruise: Still going to do the patch, but not be the designated photographer.:rotfl2:

This is my biggest issue with deciding to do a cruise.

My two younger kids and I have severe motion sickness. Since they were each about 8 months old, they would vomit every time they got into a car- even just to run 5 minutes to the grocery store :sad2: They are getting a little better (almost 9 and 7 now). They still feel miserable but they usually have control over the vomiting most of the time.

We have been mentioning a Disney cruise for years, but always really dismissing it as something we probably shouldn't even try.

Of course now we're really discussing it and it's one thing everyone has agreed that they would love to do. It sounds wonderful and the kids are excited about every aspect. But it would be such a waste of money and vacation time if half of us were completely miserable and sick the whole trip.

I never get Seasick, or so I thought. But the EC7N of Sept 9 2012 did me in (Hurricane Leslie).
When asked the crew told me the seas were currently between 30-40 ft. and that the roll would improve when the Fantasy had finished the turn it was making and was no longer broadside to the trough. I saw several crewmembers a decided shade of green, and more than a few addmitted to needing to take something on that cruise.

I tried Seabands and the bands worked great for me and my daughter. During the storm I started going "green" but minutes after I put them on, I was fine and once the worst of the storm was passed we seemed fine with them off, they really worked for us. But then, This is the first time I have ever been seasick and I have been sailing and around boats/ferries ect, for most of my life

Walgreens generic brands of Bonine/Dramamine is called Waldram, it lasts longer than others and seems to be just as effective. Also ginger root tablets help to fight of motionsickness, just like ginger ale.

rubberbootbunny said:
I never get Seasick, or so I thought. But the EC7N of Sept 9 2012 did me in (Hurricane Leslie).
When asked the crew told me the seas were currently between 30-40 ft. and that the roll would improve when the Fantasy had finished the turn it was making and was no longer broadside to the trough. I saw several crewmembers a decided shade of green, and more than a few addmitted to needing to take something on that cruise.

I tried Seabands and the bands worked great for me and my daughter. During the storm I started going "green" but minutes after I put them on, I was fine and once the worst of the storm was passed we seemed fine with them off, they really worked for us. But then, This is the first time I have ever been seasick and I have been sailing and around boats/ferries ect, for most of my life

Thanks for sharing this. I've never tried Seaband before. I'm going to for our upcoming cruise. Good to know it worked for you.

My kids and I have only been on three boats EVER...a glass bottom one for about an hour, a ferry over very choppy water for about 30 mins, and a yacht for a party. None of us felt ill, but is that really a good enough indicator of future seasickness potential? :confused:
Also FWIW, when I was pregnant with my DS, I had such bad morning sickness that I could not eat at all...and I mean nothing! I couldn't tolerate water or even my own saliva! Nothing worked: OTC or RX meds, teas, or bands. The only thing that was close to helpful was a lozenge called B-Natal. It's all natural and tastes good. You have to request them from the pharmacist since they are not always stocked but they are amazing! :thumbsup2

Once I knew it was all in my head, I could get control over it. The difference between that cruise and my Catalina experience was really like night and day. Once you know how your body is responding and why, you can control it more easily than you might expect.
A bunch of buddies and I all went out to do some off-shore fishing and we all took Dramamine before we left and we did fine - for the most part. A storm came up and we headed in. Things got choppy and we sat it out in the cabin. I jokingly told one of my buddies that Dramamine only lasts for so many hours and should be wearing off. You could see his face turning green like in cartoons. He spent the rest of the trip in out on the deck getting blasted by the crashing waves.

I used to use the patches as a kid for air sickness. Only got a little sick one night during a storm on the last cruise, but wasn't using anything. Going to stick with the patches for the next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter