Motion sickness prevention

jpotter1

Earning My Ears
Hey Disney lovers! My family and I are planning a trip to disney world to roll in the new year and I have a question for you more experienced disney goers. Last time I went to Disney world I was quite a bit younger and much less apt to motion sickness. I could ride the tea cups and spin till my arms gave out without missing a beat. Since then I have experienced motion sickness, particularly rides at the fair, that would have never bothered me before! I love all the rides at disney and really dont want to miss out on them in fear of getting sick.. I remember riding mission space right when it opened and definitely would not want to pass that ride up! it seems my motion sickness comes mostly when I can physically see the world spinning around me :rolleyes2 . So this ride might not bother me at all! but just in case, do you all have any suggestions on preventitive medications for motion sickness?? My mom also struggles with motion sickness way more than I do and I know she wont be able to ride all of the rides but maybe she could ride a few more if she took something.

Thanks!!

Thanks! I have used Dramamine in the past and it aways made me sleepy... I know there is a non drowsy formula out now tho. Ill have to give it a try!

The Mythbusters found ginger to be the only reliable non-pharmaceutical. I'm going to give it a try in November and see how it goes!

I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends. There might be some Rx solutions as well.

Your dr can prescribe a transdermal patch you wear up to 3 days. It's like a sticker you put behind your ear. However, it gave me some wonky side effects like seriously blurred vision for a long time after I took it off. Not everyone has the bad side effects but if do try it and notice the vision thing at least you'll know why! I didn't and was pretty confused.

Also, try half a pill of Dramamine or the time release one, you'll be less drowsy. I have serious motion sickness ever since I had my DD. I've tried pretty much everything!

I am in vestibular therapy to help with my motion sickness and may be getting a light dose of valium from my ENT (I got horrible vertigo in the ocean last month) for our trip in two months. I want to at least be able to watch my kids on the Teacups.

Bohemian74 (or anyone else who has used a transdermal patch for rides), do you find that the transdermal patch works well on rides? I used one on a cruise and loved it, but I am concerned that it won't prevent motion sickness on my favorite rides. Star Tours makes me feel terrible for the rest of the day and just watching the teacups makes me ill.

Thanks! I have used Dramamine in the past and it aways made me sleepy... I know there is a non drowsy formula out now tho. Ill have to give it a try!

Dramamine makes me very sleepy. I take Bonine instead. The other name for it is meclizine, as the pp also posted. It is OTC and doesn't require a prescription.

I know it is different, but when we went on our cruise, I took Bonine starting 2 days before the cruise, every day of the cruise, and then for 2 days after. It worked well for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have never tried Bonine so I might go with that! I know teacups and star tours are definitely out of the questions but I hate to miss out on some of my old favorites for fear of getting sick... I might try mission space at the end of the day just in case:)

There is also a Dramamine II ( less drowsy formula). I usually buy the generic. store brand & it help me with motion sickness.

Dramamine makes me very sleepy. I take Bonine instead. The other name for it is meclizine, as the pp also posted. It is OTC and doesn't require a prescription.

I know it is different, but when we went on our cruise, I took Bonine starting 2 days before the cruise, every day of the cruise, and then for 2 days after. It worked well for me.

This is my go to med for motion sickness as well. It doesn't make me drowsy and you only take one pill every 24 hours. It also works on other forms of nausea.

If you travel often or deal with nausea regularly, you can get a large bottle of meclizine at most pharmacies behind the counter but without prescription (just ask). I spent 32 years dealing with ear infections, vertigo, and nausea before I was diagnosed celiac a few months ago. I still keep a bottle with me just in case I get gluttened. A 100 count bottle was $6 at Target last time I checked.

Bohemian74 (or anyone else who has used a transdermal patch for rides), do you find that the transdermal patch works well on rides? I used one on a cruise and loved it, but I am concerned that it won't prevent motion sickness on my favorite rides. Star Tours makes me feel terrible for the rest of the day and just watching the teacups makes me ill.

I have used the patch at Disney for years and find that I can ride the buses, boats, monorail, roller coasters, and most other rides without any issues (and I have issues at home simply riding as a passenger in a car). I can do Star Tours and Mission Space as long as I don't ride after a meal, keep my eyes open, look straight ahead, and concentrate on breathing. Teacups, on the other hand, is a "once in several trips" ride for me - I have to sit for a few minutes after disembarking, but then I'm mostly fine.

Seabands. I get sick when on small boats and this summer we went whale watching and were on another small boat. I wore seabands on these boats and had no issues with feeling nauseous. I also get motion sickness on planes if I try to read and I wore the the seabands and was able to read on the plane without any issues.

You can get seabands at Walgreens They come in a little package so they are easy to pack and you can carry them in your pocket for when you don't need them. i liked using them because they don't have the the drowsiness side effect that many medicines have.

I know this thread is from awhile back but glad to see the suggestions. My husband and I got seabands and the Bonine so hopefully we will be okay. Disney I don't think will bother us as much as Universal. All those 3D rides bothered me last time I went.

OP, I get horrible motion sickness, and I take meclizine. You can buy a 100 count bottle at the Wal-Mart pharmacy for about $5.00. It's non-prescription, but is kept behind the counter. All you have to do is ask for it. No drowsiness, no trip to the doctor.

Go for the big guns...ask your doctor for a prescription for the Transdermal Scop patch. It's a dime-sized patch you put behind your ear (and put a new one on every 3 days). I like to put one of those round band-aids on over it to prevent accidentally touching it. Without it I can barely ride the monorail (though I was a HUGE fan of the tea cups as a kid). With it I can ride everything over and over! I tried Bonine, meclazine, sea bands, ginger pills, motion-eze and it didn't do jack squat (except ruin my trip).

Another vote for Meclizine. That is the generic name or ask for the brand name Bonine. Ask your pharmacist well in advance in case they do not have on hand, they can order it. It is NOT prescription. For best results take a pill the night before you head to the parks to allow it to begin to work in your system then follow the directions the next day. It is non-drowsy like Dramamine and very successful. We use for sea-sickness when taking newbies deep sea fishing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter