• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Motion sickness- FJ vs transformer vs Simpson

Mac, as long as I am doing something I don't get sleepy. If I was to head back to the room and lie down, I'd probably fall right to sleep.

Transformers is the same ride system as Spider-Man.

FJ has the same ride vehicle as Sum of all Thrills in Epcot, except it moves along a track and also includes screens.

jmho but i have no major issue with spiderman. FJ gets me when the dementors show up, i've learned when to divert my eyes to bottom inside of ride vehicle. Since i didn't know 'when' to do so, might've been the reason i got quite queasy on Transformers, which seemed to have lots more active/jerky motions (not in spinny sense though if that makes sense) than Spiderman.

If you decide to take Dramamine or Bonine you may want to experiment with the dosage. I use Bonine and through trial and error found that 1/4 to 1/2 pill a day was enough. Couldn't make it through Simpsons or even Spiderman before without shutting my eyes, last trip did Despicable Me, Spiderman one after the other with no problems.

I took a whole one the first day, had a long day with a couple adult beverages along the way, totally crashed that night, really sleepy and tired. Didn't drink that much, either, but you might want to take alcohol consumption into consideration, too.

thanks homies for your posts.

i can't take the meclizine generic RX due to the fillers.
so i was hoping the inert material in the over the counter stuff was not the same as the rx one.

i have meniere's disease and only get the brand name/antivert.
my dizzy attacks appear out of nowhere.
when they do, i am on the pills for 4 a day for 7 days straight.

but, suppliers no longer distribute it due to the cost effectiveness of meclizine.

i have to go to a compound lab to have my antivert made.
(no fillers/inert material in them then)

i am low on my left over antivert and need to supplement with another until i get mine made and delivered.

someone sent me the label of inert materials in the dramamine/sp and it's not one i can take. (thanks homie for the info)

the rides don't do me in, i really don't know what starts the dizziness i get as it came upon me on friday and i have done nothing unusual this week.

after reading some of this thread, i thought there might be a chance that one of the other the counter drugs would help as peeps state how it helps prevent them from getting light headed/dizzy from a ride.

thanks homies for your posts.

i can't take the meclizine generic RX due to the fillers.
so i was hoping the inert material in the over the counter stuff was not the same as the rx one.

i have meniere's disease and only get the brand name/antivert.
my dizzy attacks appear out of nowhere.
when they do, i am on the pills for 4 a day for 7 days straight.

but, suppliers no longer distribute it due to the cost effectiveness of meclizine.

i have to go to a compound lab to have my antivert made.
(no fillers/inert material in them then)

i am low on my left over antivert and need to supplement with another until i get mine made and delivered.

someone sent me the label of inert materials in the dramamine/sp and it's not one i can take. (thanks homie for the info)

the rides don't do me in, i really don't know what starts the dizziness i get as it came upon me on friday and i have done nothing unusual this week.

after reading some of this thread, i thought there might be a chance that one of the other the counter drugs would help as peeps state how it helps prevent them from getting light headed/dizzy from a ride.

Macraven,
I am a fellow sufferer of Meniere's and was diagnosed in 2004. I spent 8 years with tinnitus, ear pressure, brain fog and daily dizzy attacks ranging from mild to the 100% debilitating can't leave the bed for 24 hours kind. I tried all of the typical treatments, low salt, vitamin regimens, lemon extract but finally tried something of my own. I gave up all drinks except for water. No milk, no coffee, no alcohol, no soda. Period. Just water. I have been dizzy-attack free for 1 1/2 years now although I have about 75% permanent hearing loss in my affected ear and still have mind tinnitus (that I am so used to now I don't even notice it). From where I am now the Meniere's feels like a fading nightmare, but I am always on alert for any signs of a dizzy attack. They say sometimes, that it can come in and do its damage and leave on its own after a number of years so I don't know if it is that or giving up all of the other drinks, but I know that I definitely became attack free after giving them up. I now occasionally have a soda or an alcoholic drink with no problems (and I eat whatever I want salty or no) but still for me it is water water water! I never want to go back to Meniere's hell. Maybe it is something you could try.

As for the parks, this is my first time visiting and I am super nervous that they will bring on an attack since due the damage in my ear I am very prone to motion sickness (I am the driver for my family everywhere!). I will be stocking up on the usual medicines and an anti nausea pill and giving it a try- I WILL NOT MISS FJ!!!!!! Hopefully I will survive:faint:

Anyway, just wanted to chime in here as a fellow Meniere's sufferer. I know how horrible it is: the physical and the psychological toll....wishing you the best and thanks for all the advice you give on this forum.

Mac,
I have taken both meds, Dramamine and bonine. From what I've read and seen on package fillers are the same. Dramamine jr might be different though, it has a different active ingredient, but since it's the same company, fillers are prob the same. I starred the ingredients that could be different, due to bonine being a chewable tablet.

*Anhydrous Lactose
Dramamine contains an inactive ingredient called anhydrous lactose. This agent---derived from milk--works to sweeten the taste of the medicine (I think this is different in bonine. Bonine uses raspberry artificial flavoring since its a chewable)

*Collodial Silicon Dioxide
Collodial silicon dioxide is a chemical compound found in Dramamine. The function of this powdered ingredient is to act as a filler compound for the tablet. (again bonine is chewable, might not have this)
*Croscarmellose Sodium
Croscarmellose sodium is another inactive ingredient found in Dramamine, according to the manufacturer. In the tablet, the croscarmellose sodium helps disintegrate the medication. (bonine may not need since chewable)
Magnesium Stearate
Magnesium stearate is another inactive ingredient found in Dramamine. This ingredient, referred to as an excipient, assists in holding the medication together. The magnesium stearate also helps protect the stability of the medicine for a longer shelf life, according to the American Chemical Society. Another function of this ingredient is to cover up an unpleasant taste of the active ingredient. Magnesium stearate also assists in getting the dimenhydrinate to the brain.
Microcrystalline Cellulose
Microcrystalline cellulose is a product that occurs naturally in wood pulp and is another excipient in Dramamine. Like magnesium stearate, this ingredient holds the medication together and helps disperse the active ingredient to the brain.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/86347-dramamine-ingredients/#ixzz2Xtl17Xtd

i know the yellow dye 3 is one of the things i can't take.
thank you for your info, i need to check on the dye and another filler on those you listed.

Macraven,
I am a fellow sufferer of Meniere's and was diagnosed in 2004. I spent 8 years with tinnitus, ear pressure, brain fog and daily dizzy attacks ranging from mild to the 100% debilitating can't leave the bed for 24 hours kind. I tried all of the typical treatments, low salt, vitamin regimens, lemon extract but finally tried something of my own. I gave up all drinks except for water. No milk, no coffee, no alcohol, no soda. Period. Just water. I have been dizzy-attack free for 1 1/2 years now although I have about 75% permanent hearing loss in my affected ear and still have mind tinnitus (that I am so used to now I don't even notice it). From where I am now the Meniere's feels like a fading nightmare, but I am always on alert for any signs of a dizzy attack. They say sometimes, that it can come in and do its damage and leave on its own after a number of years so I don't know if it is that or giving up all of the other drinks, but I know that I definitely became attack free after giving them up. I now occasionally have a soda or an alcoholic drink with no problems (and I eat whatever I want salty or no) but still for me it is water water water! I never want to go back to Meniere's hell. Maybe it is something you could try.

As for the parks, this is my first time visiting and I am super nervous that they will bring on an attack since due the damage in my ear I am very prone to motion sickness (I am the driver for my family everywhere!). I will be stocking up on the usual medicines and an anti nausea pill and giving it a try- I WILL NOT MISS FJ!!!!!! Hopefully I will survive:faint:

Anyway, just wanted to chime in here as a fellow Meniere's sufferer. I know how horrible it is: the physical and the psychological toll....wishing you the best and thanks for all the advice you give on this forum.

i'm so glad to meet another person that suffers from meniere's.
well, not happy to read that you have this disease also, but to know another person that understands the effects from the attacks.
i gave up on salt about 8-9 years back when i was diagnosed.
water is my main drink and coffee i am addicted to.......
i can't drink coffee when i have the vertigo attack that keeps me in bed.

the tinnitus in both ears have never left me.
some years back, i went with the BTE hearing aids which help with the tinnitus most of the time. (can't wear them in the park)
the hearing loss i have, well, i just learn to live with it.

my vertigo attacks come out of nowhere when it is intense.
meaning the stay in bed for 48 hours type.

the moderate attacks usually happen about once a year.
the one i had that started a week back, i could feel the vertigo when i got up from bed. that is unusal for me to sense it, first time i could feel it coming on.

i do all the coasters and rides in the parks.
it has never brought on an attack...........yet
but, i always take my meds with me in case it would happen.

i'm cautious but i don't worry about an attack from doing a ride.
i know since this is your first time there at the park, you have that concern.
on FJ, i did look at my feet for a portion of that ride as moving quickly from one part of the ride, i needed to take my eyes off of the screen.
didn't want to chance it becoming a menieres issue.

i was reading about Ryan Adams having menieres and he said he had a treatment that corrected it.
i also read about having the tubes in the ear and the cochlear surgery but i'm not going that route.
i can deal with a once a year episode.
have gone 19 months with out the vertigo in the past.

that is great you have not had any attacks in the past 18 months!
hope you never have another attack again.

and, thank you for sharing what has worked for you.
i appreciate it!

Oh boy- sounds like I should skip transformers and proceed with caution on FJ..or I could save transformers for when I am ready to leave for the night- that may work (but is it worth it)- motion sickness stinks! Thanks for info.

I just did transformers and Simpsons with no problems - but that was with the scopolamine patch. Last year tried Star Tours and was sick
In about 20 seconds without meds, so the patch works wonders.

Cheers for the reply

can you use scopolamine patch as well as taken meds?

Or is it a case its 1 or the other.

Going back next aug and i just love rides but after going on Rip Ride Rockit, then the Simpsons, totally wiped me out.

I was fine on transformers and HP i just close my eyes when feeling a little dizzy.

Next year i am planning well in advance so looking at all different types of motion sickness remedy's and meds

i have terrible vertigo- can't lay flat with out the room spinning- i can not ride anything! even carousel and one fish make me sick. i can do spiderman, transformers and simpsons with no problem- not sure why??

i have terrible vertigo- can't lay flat with out the room spinning- i can not ride anything! even carousel and one fish make me sick. i can do spiderman, transformers and simpsons with no problem- not sure why??
maybe it is because you are focused on the video . . . . . .

Cheers for the reply can you use scopolamine patch as well as taken meds? Or is it a case its 1 or the other. Going back next aug and i just love rides but after going on Rip Ride Rockit, then the Simpsons, totally wiped me out. I was fine on transformers and HP i just close my eyes when feeling a little dizzy. Next year i am planning well in advance so looking at all different types of motion sickness remedy's and meds

You need a prescription for the patch, so your doctor can tell you about other meds you can take with it. My doctor recommended the patch when I told her that a bonine/ginger combination didn't totally do the trick. I am glad she did...besides a bit of dry mouth I am having no issues with it at all - and I can now ride all the motion simulators I want.

Update for today. Rode Star Tours twice - no problems. The patch rocks! Without any motion sickness aides, I couldn't watch 4 seconds of Star Tours, now I can enjoy it.

i have never ridden star tours - how does it compare to the simpson's?

I'm scared now, guys...haha. I used to get motion sick, but spinning rides are what get me..I've never had a problem with rides where you watch a screen. My plan was just to bring ginger and eat it before and after, and have 7up or Pepsi with me or something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter