Motion sickness and Star Tours

TayjaDanger

Mouseketeer
I have another question for those of you who are die-hard Star Wars and Star tours fans. I rode this attraction with my SW-loving buddy in Disneyland and it made her sooo sick. I didn't remember the one in WDW being so jerky and violent, or I would have warned her not to ride. Since then I've heard the one in DLR is more action packed than the one in WDW. How is it now with the updates? Does anyone with a propensity toward motion sickness have any advice for this attraction?

And has anyone heard of a "green side" to Star Tours (like for Mission to Mars) or had any luck asking to be in a spacecraft that doesn't move around as much? I'd love for my bestie to be able to experience this ride when we visit, since she LOVES Star Wars, but it's not worth making her sick. Do they have a chicken exit so we can at least enjoy the queue details together?

Thanks!

I haven't been on the one at Disneyland but I can tell you that the one at WDW has always made my mom sick. Same with Body Wars. Some people just can't do those types of rides.
There's no "green side," unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure there's a chicken exit at the end.

It does tend to make me a little woozy. Not nearly as bad as Forbidden Journey. I think the closer to the screen you are the worse it is. I've never heard of the green side on ST. You may be able to request sitting in the back. Never ridden it at DLR so I can't compare.

I don't feel like I have a huge propensity for motion sickness (I love roller coasters) but can't/won't do spinning rides. Last time I rode Star Tours at DHS in November I felt a little off after. The 3D is what gets me. The older version without that aspect was just fine. I might try it again in August depending on how I am feeling that day.

The older I get the more some rides throw me "off" afterwards. I did Mission Space (to this day I can't remember if it was Green or Orange .. I recall going Green .. but the way I felt afterwards I must have chosen Orange (or accidently got in the Orange queue and didn't realize it). My wife and I were feeling "off" for like 30-60 minutes afterwards. No desire to go back.

But Star Tours is different. Definitely throws you off, but not like "I gotta hurl" (for me). My wife and I did Star Tours two times in a row (wait time was like 5-10 minutes). Let's just say we weren't going to do it a 3rd time or maybe we WOULD have hurled.
Though after some water and just a nice sitting down break, the recovery isn't bad.

I don't usually have problems with motion sickness, but this ride did it for me. Nothing horrible...I thought I was going to die after Mission Space (green)! Just a bit 'off'; I felt fine after 5-10 minutes.

I get a prescription for the ear patch as I will NOT miss Star Tours and get sick again! Used to make me sick. Not with the prescription for motion sickness.

Hmmm, does not sound promising. I get motion sick a little too, I'll never ride Mars again!!!! Most other rides I can do, though, and like PP, I'm great on roller coasters, but the simulator rides are not so fun. But my friend gets motion sick so badly, and always has, and it makes her miserable. She might have to skip this one. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I am glad I asked! I would hate to let my hazy memories of feeling "ok" sully her experience.
For reference, I'm really mean and made her ride DLR's ToT and assured her Star Tours would be fine, so she has some trust issues with me and what I think of rides, hahaha. (Though to give you the whole story, she tricked her own parents into riding ToT the same way I tricked her into riding! So we're both evil.)

I get a prescription for the ear patch as I will NOT miss Star Tours and get sick again! Used to make me sick. Not with the prescription for motion sickness.
Is it a scopalamine patch? I suggested that to her, I hope she gets one! It doesn't cause drowsiness right?

I have another question for those of you who are die-hard Star Wars and Star tours fans. I rode this attraction with my SW-loving buddy in Disneyland and it made her sooo sick. I didn't remember the one in WDW being so jerky and violent, or I would have warned her not to ride. Since then I've heard the one in DLR is more action packed than the one in WDW. How is it now with the updates? Does anyone with a propensity toward motion sickness have any advice for this attraction?

I think they are both exclusively running the same newer with force awakens content ride so they should match exactly.

there are people who take somethign for motion sickness around this forum but I can't think of anyone specific to let them know to see this forum, hopefully they will notice it on their own.

Your friend most likely has issues with the 3D simulated type rides as this is much different than actual rides. I am good on all sorts of rides including teacups and coasters. 3D rides make me feel super dizzy and sick. The idea is it supposed to trick your brain into matching up the motion of the screen with the motion of the ride, she most likely is not sick because its "jerky" but because her brain processes the input differently than you. It's like my body is so good with motion it knows that I am not actually flipping and twirling so it tells my brain, hey this is wrong, what's going on, you need to re-evaluate the motion. I remember I was getting so sick at one of these rides at Six Flags once I just stared at the exit sign in the corner as it was the only stable thing I could see and could use to get my brain to calm down. If your friend got sick on one unless she does something for motion sickness she will probably feel it on this one. I love Star Wars but have always had to sit this one out because its not worth making myself sick for the rest of the day. I somehow missed the memo on how this ride worked my first time and chickened out when we got to the front, I told my mom to go without me but she was too scared to go alone lol.

Is it a scopalamine patch? I suggested that to her, I hope she gets one! It doesn't cause drowsiness right?
Yes. I always forget name. :) No to drowsiness. I did have a bit of a problem with blurred vision when I'd read a book, but not a big deal. and, a little bit of dry-mouth. Nothing big at all though and SO worth it. I have posted this elsewhere, but I almost puked on Forbidden Journey at Harry Potter when I took over the counter meds like Dramamine or bonine. Had NO problem with the patch. I was so excited, I jumped up and down for joy after the ride. And... the guy next to me puked on the floor. Felt so bad for him!

My mom and I have the same motion sickness symptoms. She rode it with DD and I didn't (even though I love Star Wars), she was sorry... I would love to do it thought not willing to take Dramamine.

Star Tours is the only ride at WDW that makes me terrible motion sick. DH really likes it, so I ride, but I just keep my eyes closed.

Rode it yesterday and felt horrible. Had my eyes closed and was sweating like crazy. Couldn't wait for it to end.

My DH gets motion sickness and he loves Star Tours BUT one ride is enough for him. And he usually takes Dramamine before and needs a little ride break after.

This is Ds favorite ride and unfortunately it makes Dh and I both sick. Dh sit's with the smaller ones outside while Ds and I enjoy the ride, well he enjoys it. I hold on as long as possible before closing my eyes and loosening my body to go with the flow. I must admit I would rather ride than sit and wait.

Both are equally bad for me. I had heard the new version was better in DL, and I had only been on the WDW one - so I took a gamble and tried it. And this time, I put sea bands on and took Bonine (less drowsy than dramamine) b/c I really wanted to enjoy it instead of trying not to puke. Well, I didn't puke, but I didn't enjoy it either. I was at least able to look at the screen off and on, and I'm sure that's b/c of the meds and not b/c it was DL instead of WDW or b/c it was the newest version. Definitely something to do with the 3D vision movement aspect... Totally lame, but I also have to close my eyes during that light tunnel part of Buzz Lightyear.

So I'd say WDW = DL Star Tours, really. And I'm not trying again in either parks, meds or no meds! Third time was not a charm for me after two tries in WDW and one in DL, so that's that. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter