• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Mothers don't stop Getting angry with stupid bigots who (mess) with their children!"

It's not ridiculous. It is the very core of the gay/straight argument. Doing what you want in the privacy of your own bedroom is fine, once you take it out of the bedroom is where it becomes an issue. People have every right to object to this.

As for the apples to oranges, no, it ins't, it is still talking about what is considered morally acceptable in our society. It is morally acceptable in other societies to kill your children does that make it wrong there too?? Our society as a whole, however, has decided that it is NOT ok to do this but what if there was a movement to change this just like there has been a movement in recent years to "accept" the gay lifestyle. Not to turn this into a religious post but even the Catholic church accepts gay people, they do NOT agree with the gay sex--that is a HUGE distinction. Our society as a whole has not decided that the gay lifestyle is morally acceptable. People are trying to change that.
Personally, I'm not a fan of PDA...gay or straight. I don't think there's a place in our society for legislating kissing and holding hands in public. Sorry! You might have to see it, even gay people.
Well, yes, if you see gay people having sex in the street, obviously you have a right to object to that. Just as you have the right to object if you see straight people having sex in the street.
:thumbsup2

It is okay to stand up for what you find morally objectionable. You just have to accept that fact that some people will find you a bigot.

If I stood up and said I found it morally objectionable for my daughter's school to welcome non-white students, would you refuse to call me a bigot simply because I'm standing up for my moral beliefs?

It seems you want the right to pass moral judgments on the behavior of others without anyone being able to judge your own behavior.

I am just presenting an argument based on the OP's thread title of "stupid bigots" and wondering why it is ok to call someone a stupid bigot for not agreeing with the gay lifestyle... I am not passing judgement, I am asking a question, big difference...

If you want to be a racist, hey, more power to you :lmao:.

Bingo! If you find something objectionable/immoral/etc, people WILL disagree with you. Words like bigot might be used. But I feel, if I'm confident in my beliefs others can call me whatever names they want. Someones label of you shouldn't affect your value system.

This will go round & round & round until it gets shut down, because both "sides", viewpoints, etc aren't going to agree. At some point, it becomes beating a dead horse. The horse is nearly dead.

It is okay to stand up for what you find morally objectionable. You just have to accept that fact that some people will find you a bigot.

If I stood up and said I found it morally objectionable for my daughter's school to welcome non-white students, would you refuse to call me a bigot simply because I'm standing up for my moral beliefs?

It seems you want the right to pass moral judgments on the behavior of others without anyone being able to judge your own behavior.

Exactly--and say that same sex marriage does effect my life--what if I don't want to watch same sex partners....where is the line of my rights vs their rights???

What would you say if they didn't want to watch you? What if your orientation or lifestyle offended their sensibilities. Would you say "OK, I'll hide the fact that I have a husband and like men? I'll never show any PDA because it makes you uncomfortable?"

It becomes an issue when others find it morally objectionable....

You many not but others do...and by you calling them stupid bigots is where this whole argument started.

Did you read the article, I didn't call them bigots, Cher did. :lmao:

I call bigots morally objectionable, most times very uneducated 'n UnAmerican.

I am just presenting an argument based on the OP's thread title of "stupid bigots" and wondering why it is ok to call someone a stupid bigot for not agreeing with the gay lifestyle... I am not passing judgement, I am asking a question, big difference...

If you want to be a racist, hey, more power to you :lmao:.

You should ask Cher, as that is what SHE tweeted. :thumbsup2

What would you say if they didn't want to watch you? What if your orientation or lifestyle offended their sensibilities. Would you say "OK, I'll hide the fact that I have a husband and like men? I'll never show any PDA because it makes you uncomfortable?"

I would say "more power to them" but I would not call them a stupid bigot...

I guess it's okay because we live in a free country where Cher is allowed to call people "stupid bigots" if she wants to. Although, was it really about the "gay lifestyle?" I thought it was about being transgender, which is completely different.

I guess it's okay because we live in a free country where Cher is allowed to call people "stupid bigots" if she wants to. Although, was it really about the "gay lifestyle?" I thought it was about being transgender, which is completely different.

Especially as Bono is not gay. But hey, details!

It's quite possible to stand up for what you believe in AND be a bigot. Just because you believe it, doesn't make it right.

It's quite possible to stand up for what you believe in AND be a bigot. Just because you believe it, doesn't make it right.

That goes both ways too...:rolleyes1

What's to say you are right and someone else is wrong :confused3

Also -- not trying to fan the flames, but just so everyone knows, the owner of the DisBoards is gay. Pete, Walter, Kevin & John are owners / moderators of these boards. I welcome posts by opposing view points but if being gay is objectionable to you, you might want to find a different Disney message board. I'm not saying those folks shouldn't be here, I welcome debate. But if you feel a certain way about gay people, you should be aware.

Also -- not trying to fan the flames, but just so everyone knows, the owner of the DisBoards is gay. Pete, Walter, Kevin & John are owners / moderators of these boards. I welcome posts by opposing view points but if being gay is objectionable to you, you might want to find a different Disney message board. I'm not saying those folks shouldn't be here, I welcome debate. But if you feel a certain way about gay people, you should be aware.

Also, I never said I PERSONALLY objected to that lifestyle, just pointing out that it is funny that it is ok to call someone a stupid bigot but not ok to object to something you might find morally objectionable. Also, it's a discussion board, just discussing the topic at hand...

Also, I never said I PERSONALLY objected to that lifestyle, just pointing out that it is funny that it is ok to call someone a stupid bigot but not ok to object to something you might find morally objectionable. Also, it's a discussion board, just discussing the topic at hand...

Did anyone say it's not OK? Go ahead and object as it allows us to find the bigots.

I would say "more power to them" but I would not call them a stupid bigot...

I didn't quote anything about the word bigot. You asked why their right to be open about their gender or orientation trumped your right to not have to see them or be aware of them. I asked if they had the right to not be exposed to your orientaion or "lifestyle" if you offended them.

Nobody is protected from being called a bigot. Its ok for any person at any time to call any other person a bigot for any reason. I could look at my dog barking to go outside and call her a bigot. I can pick up the phone, call my husband and tell him he's a bigot, and its ok, because most grown ups understand sticks and stones. So to answer golfgirl's question, nobody ever has a "right" not to be called a bigot.

According to wikipedia a bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

I would say protesting the ability of others to watch a tv show with an transgendered cast member is intolerant, and therefore bigoted. So, Cher used the textbook definition of bigot.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did. To be honest, it sounds as if you do because you are defending that view pretty passionately.

And you're right, it is a discussion board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter