• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Mothers don't stop Getting angry with stupid bigots who (mess) with their children!"

I feel the same way. Where are the "Stars"?!

As for the Christian thing....I put myself in certain religious, political & social groups but that doesn't mean I always agree with everything someone else in said groups says or does. Within groups there are many variations of beliefs, so I hate it when all Christians are painted with same brush.

Me, too, but I hate it even more when I'm told I'm not a Christian because I do not believe just what that particular person believes.

I feel the same way. Where are the "Stars"?!

As for the Christian thing....I put myself in certain religious, political & social groups but that doesn't mean I always agree with everything someone else in said groups says or does. Within groups there are many variations of beliefs, so I hate it when all Christians are painted with same brush.

Me, too, but I hate it even more when I'm told I'm not a Christian because I do not believe just what that particular person believes.

Hallelujah!! :worship:

I'm not going to lie, I totally don't get the whole changing gender thing. I don't judge it and if you want to do it go for it but I couldn't imagine being so unhappy with who I am that I would go through major surgery to change into something else. To be fair though I feel the same way about elective plastic surgery like face lifts.

I couldn't care less about Dancing with the Stars and have never watched it but I think it is wrong to attack Chaz for his choice even if you don't really get it.

I'm not going to lie, I totally don't get the whole changing gender thing. I don't judge it and if you want to do it go for it but I couldn't imagine being so unhappy with who I am that I would go through major surgery to change into something else. To be fair though I feel the same way about elective plastic surgery like face lifts.
How do you feel about makeup? Makeup is the lazy woman's plastic surgery. ;)

It's all basically the same thing; people unhappy with their body and attempting to hide/change/improve it.

How do you feel about makeup? Makeup is the lazy woman's plastic surgery. ;)

I don't think putting some makeup on can be compared with painful, permanent surgery. I also don't have a problem with bettering yourself through hard work like working out, running, or changing your diet. It is just something about using surgery to do it that I think is a bit odd. Just my opinion of course. I don't really care what other people do, it just isn't for me.

But to be fair, more understanding could lead to more acceptance. The world has changed so much, sometimes it's hard for the "older" generation to "get" it. I don't think anyone should be condemned for saying they don't understand, maybe they are trying to learn.
I agree, except that I believe that many people who don't understand (obviously not everyone) are not open to trying to understand. My mother would've been 88 this year, and she would NEVER understand, try to understand, or accept it. :rolleyes:
Meh, if Chaz was so hung up on being picked on for his decisions, he wouldn't be going on DWTS IMHO.

Does he deserve it? Of course not, but if he was gonna be all that bothered by it, he wouldn't be doing it.

Perhaps he's doing it simply TO get the publicity, kwim? Bring it out, bring it on. Put it out there in the public eye?

Whatever, I just hope he's happy with his decisions. :)
Chaz had an opportunity to do something just like other men and women, who don't have to explain themselves. Maybe he wants to do it just because he wants to do it, despite harassment. He should be able to do it without harassment.
There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't understand." The bad thing is saying "I don't understand and therefore it's bad." I don't like promoting the idea that one must "understand" something in order to accept it. I cannot fathom why anybody would want to sleep with Paris Hilton, for example. But does that mean I should get up in arms when someone decides to do that?
Well, there ya go! :thumbsup2
My first thought when hearing that Chaz was going to be on DWTS honestly was I hope he's been thoroughly cleared by his doctor to take this on. Nothing to do w/ gender issues, simply his weight. I don't mean that in a nasty way at all. I've noticed he doesn't seem to move around easily & he's going to be forced to do so much participating in the show.

I know Kirstie Alley did it and was fine, but for some reason Chaz has me feeling uneasy. Please let me be wrong and definitely let him be okay.
Chaz appears much bigger than Kirstie Allie, and the only thing I find shocking about Chaz Bono at this point is that he got so heavy. It would be great if he does well with the competition AND gets in better shape.

I don't think putting some makeup on can be compared with painful, permanent surgery. I also don't have a problem with bettering yourself through hard work like working out, running, or changing your diet. It is just something about using surgery to do it that I think is a bit odd.

Well, if there's a way to change your gender by working out and changing your diet, I'm sure many people would be happy to know it. ;)

Well, if there's a way to change your gender by working out and changing your diet, I'm sure many people would be happy to know it. ;)

The post you quoted was about equating plastic surgery to wearing makeup, not changing genders.

Here is my opinion on the matter. If anyone out there gets upset that a dude who used to be a chick goes on a show and dances, well to that person I'd say that there are plenty of hobbies out there, you should get one!!

What I don't get is why anyone (especially supposedly mature adults) cares what other adults are doing with their own bodies or their own lives. Seriously. I'm amazed. What's to understand or not understand? It is what it is...accept it, move on.

I hope he (Chaz) does well. :thumbsup2

While agree with what you are saying, the publicity that she/he received is putting it out there. Not only just news reports, but he has done several interviews. Like anything else with celebrities, they have to take the good with the bad, if you don't want us talking about it and judging you for it, then quit shoving it our faces. Lets face it, the only reason he is one there is because of the gender change. It doesn't bother me, but I don't need it shoved down my throat either.

What I don't get is why anyone (especially supposedly mature adults) cares what other adults are doing with their own bodies or their own lives. Seriously. I'm amazed. What's to understand or not understand? It is what it is...accept it, move on.

MTE. I can respect that some people do not either understand another persons sexual orientation. That is fine with me. I cannot understand why it is necessary for anyone to understand in order to respect that orientation. I do not understand a lot of things that people are or do or think, I just don't. I don't think I need to in order to respect their views or their decisions.

There are so many pressing issues that impact us today and it baffles me that anyone would waste one moment being irritated that a man we do not even know, have never even met has had a surgery that aligns his body with his mind. :confused3 I bekieve that if this is an issue for someone it is okay to change the channel. I know that I do whenever I even hear "Kim Kardashain". Don't know her, don't care about her and don't want to see how she spent all that money on a wedding.

But to be fair, more understanding could lead to more acceptance. The world has changed so much, sometimes it's hard for the "older" generation to "get" it. I don't think anyone should be condemned for saying they don't understand, maybe they are trying to learn.

It is okay to say you do not understand, that leads to a discussion. It is not okay to condemn, that leads to an argument.

They don't feel they are changing their gender; he always knew he was a man on the inside, his body just didn't match. I can't imagine having the courage it takes to make the physical change.
:thumbsup2 I don't really "get" wanting to change my gender, either, but I think that's exactly why I do get why someone else might. :upsidedow Transgendered people obviously identify with their physical gender very differently than I do.

The only controversy that should be surrounding Chaz and DWTS's is ABC claiming Chaz is "A Star".

Being a stars child doesn't make you a star.

The TG thing? :confused3 who cares?!
I agree with this! I don't consider him a star, but I don't consider Bristol Palin a star either, and that's the precedent they've set. :confused3 I guess if being the offspring of a politician makes you a "star", so does being the offspring of a star.

I'm just stunned that anyone thinks ABC is doin' this to harass mainstream America, how ridiculous.
Yes, that is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard.

Chaz Bono. Meh. I'm watching DWTS only because of Hope Solo. I think she's fabulous.
My dd nearly jumped off her chair when she saw Hope Solo would be on! :thumbsup2

While agree with what you are saying, the publicity that she/he received is putting it out there. Not only just news reports, but he has done several interviews. Like anything else with celebrities, they have to take the good with the bad, if you don't want us talking about it and judging you for it, then quit shoving it our faces. Lets face it, the only reason he is one there is because of the gender change. It doesn't bother me, but I don't need it shoved down my throat either.

So you agree that ABC is just doin' this (Chaz on DWTS) to harass America?

Or is Chaz just harassin' America?

So the issue is because he had a gender change? Is that even going to be brought up on the show? I doubt he wears a sign that says hey world I used to have a tootie bug and now I have a birdie! I do not see how his appearance on TV is harassing Americans if you don’t like it turn the channel. Really the things people ***** about these days is insane.

Some people just disgust me. :sick: In addition to those who think Chaz being on the show is harassment, I also read a comment lamenting the fact that America would have to look at the scars on JR Martinez. :sad2: How unsympathetic can a person be?

Truth: I don't understand why anyone likes, wants to play or wants to watch football. I don't "get it". And I have no desire to "get it".

My inability or total disinterest in 'getting it" doesn't mean football does not exist or that people should not like, want to play or want to watch it on tv or in a stadium.

After all, I am hardly so important that I determine how the rest of the world should live.

Or to quote (or paraphrase) Tina Fey, it is the height of arrogance to assume that my personal dislike or disinterest or inability to "get it" makes something empirically bad or worthless just as liking something does not make it empirically valuable or good. All it really means -- big truth -- is that humankind has variations.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Chaz could be the first to get voted off, or he could go all the way. I'll be curious to see how viewers really feel, not just the loudmouths that are writing in to ABC right now.

So you agree that ABC is just doin' this (Chaz on DWTS) to harass America?

Or is Chaz just harassin' America?

I dont think ABC is "harassing" America, I think they are doing what they always do, sensationalism. That is what they do. Chaz is just making a living off of it. Harassing is giving it way too much importance, I don't care what he does, and I don't care what any celeb does. I have no respect for them or the media. I quit watching this show 2 years ago, BORING. I hope he does well, but I have no dog in the fight.

Chaz as a woman was an amazing person on Celebrity Fit Club -- had amazing drive and determination, lost a ton of weight, cheered her teammates on, and was a level headed, cheerful, and very kind person. Extremely likeable and somebody you'd want to know in real life.

I'm guessing Chaz the guy will similarly impress, if given the chance. He absolutely has the drive to do the work necessary to succeed. Hopefully the hormone levels have eased off and this will help him "come out" in a brand new, fitter body.

As for "stardom" -- he was absolutely a star as a toddler. Some of us are old enough to remember her stealing the show when her parents would bring her out on stage. If she didn't appear on a given week, people talked about it. (Sorry for the pronoun switch, but "Chastity Bono" the toddler is still a girl in my mind; Chaz Bono is a guy.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter