• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mother seeks medical advice on the internet -surprised a topic didn't show up here...

SandrA9810

DIS Veteran
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/mo...d-delays-bringing-son-hospital-170200132.html

While the Internet provides a wealth of information just one click away, sometimes it's better to dial good old "911."

On Wednesday, at 1:47 AM, police in Santa Fe, Texas received a call from the Mainland Center Hospital that a 14-year-old boy had been admitted with a gunshot injury to his thigh. A surveillance video in the boy's home revealed he had received the wound more than seven hours earlier, according to a statement provided to Yahoo! Shine by Captain Wayne Kessler, of the Santa Fe Police Department. Why the delay? His mother (who has not been identified) was searching WebMD.

The video also revealed the identity of the shooter. Police have arrested 24-year-old Pete Jesse Rodriguez and charged him with Injury to a Child with Intent to Commit Serious Bodily Injury. The video shows Rodriguez, who lives at the same residence, pointing a gun at the teen (who has not been named), following his movements, and pulling the trigger. According to the release, "The victim was shot once in the upper left thigh with a high caliber bullet. The teen lay on the floor several minutes before getting up."

Fortunately, for her child, the mother's Internet search convinced her that his condition was critical and that she should seek medical help. The boy is currently in stable condition at another hospital. Authorities are considering pressing felony charges against the mother for Injury to a Child by Omission.
According to police reports, Rodriguez was also arrested earlier this year and in 2011. Neighbors told local KHOU News that the house is located in a quiet, rural area where you are more likely to hear chickens than gunshots.

First thought... Why was there surveillance video in their house? And second thought that poor kid had endure 6 hours of pain, I can't even imagine!

First thought... Why was there surveillance video in their house? And second thought that poor kid had endure 6 hours of pain, I can't even imagine!

If it's as rural as it sounds, it's a good security measure. Plus it's harder to see the entire property from inside a house.

I'm surprised the kid just sat there and waited. I would've been on the phone with 911 right after it happened.

I would hate to have a mother like that! Poor kid!! I hope he recovers from this and maybe he will be placed into a home where he can be properly cared for. It's one thing to be shot, but to let him remain in pain for that long is child neglect, endangerment and abuse.:furious:

The mother was trying to avoid taking him to the hospital because it would be investigated, she was protecting the 24 year old. I think the internet thing was an excuse for the delay.

I'm just trying to imagine the sites that turned up in her Google search of "how to treat a gunshot wound." I wonder how many recommendations were to "keep researching on the internet" before she finally found one that said "seek emergency medical treatment ASAP!!!"

The mother was trying to avoid taking him to the hospital because it would be investigated, she was protecting the 24 year old. I think the internet thing was an excuse for the delay.

Agreed. She obviously wasn't searching the Internet for seven hours. My guess is she waited for several hours hoping he wouldn't need to go to the hospital, and then maybe she started looking on the Internet and was convinced to take him.

I would also guess the shooter is her boyfriend.

My first thought when I read this last night was that the 24 y.o. was mama's boyfriend and NOT a houseguest or friend of the 14 y.o., as news reports first made it sound. There had to be a dang good reason to not call police. Either she was on the verge of losing custody of the kid already (and there are no reports of that) or she was covering up for the 24 y.o.

Q: Why does the mother of a 14 y.o. cover up for the 24 y.o. who shot her kid?

A: She's got more invested with the 24 y.o. than her own her child. I think my actual words were, "She's banging the 24 y.o." Sorry to be graphic, but that was what the story was saying without saying.

My first thought when I read this last night was that the 24 y.o. was mama's boyfriend and NOT a houseguest or friend of the 14 y.o., as news reports first made it sound. There had to be a dang good reason to not call police. Either she was on the verge of losing custody of the kid already (and there are no reports of that) or she was covering up for the 24 y.o.

Q: Why does the mother of a 14 y.o. cover up for the 24 y.o. who shot her kid?

A: She's got more invested with the 24 y.o. than her own her child. I think my actual words were, "She's banging the 24 y.o." Sorry to be graphic, but that was what the story was saying without saying.

:thumbsup

My thoughts exactly.

Waiting 7 hours to call 911? That mother was definitely trying to cover for the 24 year old - he must be her boyfriend. How sad. What kind of mother lets her child be in pain for 7 hours without doing anything but searching the internet?? I feel so bad for the young boy, I hope he is ok.

Clearly she doesn't know that all experts on every topic are here on the DIS or she would've come here rather than Web MD.

My immediate thought was that the 24 year old was a boyfriend or also one of her kids.

I cannot imagine NOT immediately seeking medical care for anyone shot--especially one of my children.

And the thought of wanting to "cover up" a boyfriend shooting your child is simple repulsive. The through process should be:
1. Get medical care for my child ASAP
2. (once child is stable and safe) file charges against the person who targeted and intentionally shot my child.

My immediate thought was that the 24 year old was a boyfriend or also one of her kids.

I cannot imagine NOT immediately seeking medical care for anyone shot--especially one of my children.

And the thought of wanting to "cover up" a boyfriend shooting your child is simple repulsive. The through process should be:
1. Get medical care for my child ASAP
2. (once child is stable and safe) file charges against the person who targeted and intentionally shot my child.

That sounds logical, too. I read about a State Senator in WA whose son was arrested for molesting an 11 yo. The guy said he knew something was "wrong" in February. At the end of the article it's mentioned that the child lives in the home, too. :( 11 yo had to tell school that he was being molested before anything happened. Protecting one child over another is not unusual, it seems.

I could certainly have given her appropriate medical advice. I'm a little surprised that steps 1 through 4 didn't pop up right off in her search.

1. Use direct pressure to control the bleeding. A bandage or rag or pillow is nice, but the palm of your hand works perfectly well. Don't worry about sterility in the slightest at this point.

2. Once she has a free hand (or the 14 year old could do it) call 911.

3. Report the gunshot wound, and mention that the shooter was still there. EMS and PD would be there post haste. If the call is made on a cell phone, give the address.

4. Maintain pressure on the wound and get the boy horizontal with his head lower than his heart. If he starts complaining of being cold, keep him warm. That's shock, and it's deadly.

5. If the mom can take a minute off controlling the bleeding, go pick up the gun and blow a couple of holes in the SOB who shot her son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter