Most worthwhile splurges at DLR?

Character breakfasts (we like Surf's Up and Storytellers).
Napa Rose
Waiting to pilot the Mark Twain.
Staying on-site.
Getting a cabana for the day at DLH pool.
Concierge IF you have a lot of people staying in one room or suite.
Your favorite souvenir (you won't regret it)

Napa Rose
Staying on-site.

I'm loving this thread! Just now purchased the RideMax program... No one tell Mr. FFerret. I kind of went over budget last month buying ebates' vouchers...

I am a touringplans person, but after reading some of the stickies and advice from HydroGuy I bought ridemax for this trip. I didn't like it at first--I felt like it wasn't as user friendly as TP, or maybe not as intuitive. Now after playing with it a few days, I finally get it. I like being able to pick which attractions the FP runner will miss--so neither y husband nor I have to miss the ones the whole family loves. I still feel like we have too much down time in some of our days, but that's what the wait time apps are for.
I think it was definitely worth the price.

*Concierge at DLH or GCH when our whole family of 5-6 goes (oldest dd--#6--is adult so doesn't always go with us)
*For a super special visit, a night or 2 in the Fairy Tale Suite at DLH
*Blue Bayou once/visit
*Getting my name engraved on a glass mug from the Crystal Shop
*Holiday Tour
*Warm chocolate bread pudding from Jazz Kitchen
*Beignets from Jazz Kitchen (I much prefer them to the ones in DL)
*Port and chocolate tasting in DCA
*Having a drink in the Hearthstone Lounge
*Uh Oa at Trader Sam's
*Buying some really special item for my kids because they treasure them. They don't even have to be expensive, just something that strikes each individual's fancy
*I used to say the Halloween Party, but I don't really enjoy it as much anymore because it's too crowded.

ETA: I probably shouldn't have composed my list when I was hungry!!! :)

Can you tell me more about the port and chocolate tasting please?

Napa Rose
Staying on-site.

I'm intrigued by the idea of getting a cabana at DLH pool, since we'll be staying at DLH for the first time this year in June and I'm sure that's the craziest time to get some "free" seats together by the pool. But we only have 3.5 days this trip and I got 4 day PHs via Orbitz. So maybe I'll call and do a 1/2 day during the afternoon on Sunday, which may be one of the busiest days (since we arrive Saturday afternoon and want to rush right into the parks!). I just hesitate since I'm not sure if my girls would prefer to be in the park. But then again, it would be a nice break for DH and me!

Saying, "Yes!" as often as possible:
Yes! you can have ice cream for lunch.
Yes! we can ride Screamin' 3x in a row.
Yes! we can go back to the hotel and swim for as long as you want [when staying at DLH/GCH/HoJo's only - otherwise: "You can swim when we get home!"]
Yes! we can go to Goofy's Kitchen even though you guys are never hungry when we go.
Yes! we can stay on Tom Sawyer Island/Challenge Trail/Toon Town, and [Heaven help me] Innoventions as long as you like.
"Yes!" is my DL splurge. ;)

Yes! we can go back to the hotel and swim for as long as you want [when staying at DLH/GCH/HoJo's only - otherwise: "You can swim when we get home!"]
Yes! we can go to Goofy's Kitchen even though you guys are never hungry when we go.
Yes! we can stay on Tom Sawyer Island/Challenge Trail/Toon Town, and [Heaven help me] Innoventions as long as you like.

I LOVE this philosophy and totally adopting it for ALL future trips! :banana:

We had a splurge-tastic trip this past October and all of them were totally worth it!

Fantastic dessert package- worth it for the great unobstructed view and the chair, the blessed chair!! Sitting, eating deelicious desserts, unlimited drinks served by a waitress and we also got to stay for the fireworks! At 60 bucks a pop it was a splurgey good time

Mickeys Halloween Party...twice!! Once was for the party and to dress up and have a good time. The second was just to enjoy an uncrowded DLR! Yes, we splurged and bought 3 extra 60 dollar tickets! Was it worth it? Heck yes! There were zero lines at anything, for example we were able to go on the Matterhorn 3 times in a row with no wait at all. We literally walked on it over and over.

Blue Bayou with waterside tables. Expensive semi-good food but wow ! That view!! We literally ate in the POTC ride and that is an unbeatable splurge!

Goofys Kitchen (twice) and Minnie's Breakfast - breakfast with characters is something I would have paid double for! What a great concept that is, isn't it? We made one reservation for GK just to try it out and ended up at a character breakfast 3 out the 5 b'fasts we had at the park! And it is now going to be our every trip splurge, only now we may have to try surfs up and storytellers!

We live in TX so as the OP said, time is valuable at DLR. Was the Fantasmic deal expensive? Yes! Was the MHP expensive for 2 nights? Yes, but we paid extra money to not have to wait on the grass for 3 hours to see the show and we paid extra money to go on 3 times the rides we usually could go on. For us, the splurges made our trip better.

Well said, and it works great when the kids are reasonable. Saying yes to that $600 Donald Duck leather jacket might be a bit much, but I tried this on a daddy-daughter trip and I was AMAZED at how it made me feel. There is nothing more relaxing than spending a few days knowing that the rules don't apply. A true vacation into a world of fantasy.

But on a specific level, I think the best splurge is staying at the Disneyland Hotel. The early entry privileges, the awesome pool and waterslide, Trader Sam's right by the pool, it's all so lovely and convenient. Extra splurge for a better view, we always prefer a high floor facing the pool.

Been to WDW more times than can count but am a DL newbie. I am bring my boys 11,14 to DLR over spring break (March 23-28) DH is staying back. I love this thread about what it is worth to splurge on & since we are from Chicago- Orlando is always more reasonable than California. I am already doing a few of the splurges suggested but have a few questions that maybe some of you vets can fill in the blanks.
Itinerary so far includes 5 nights at Disneyland Hotel Concierge floor (both a splurge and a necessity with 2 growing boys just for the b-fast alone,,and all the soda's & waters for the parks, also mid afternoon munchies plus the splurge of the extra services like turn down service, the lounge and own club lounge concierge (I don't usually use them to much at WDW cause I usually know as much as they do haha, but now I'm going to unchartered water w kids alone, so I know I will have questions!

So far I have booked fantasmic dessert package (kind of a splurge cause don't really want to camp out for hours for seats & the only night we can see it is the night we arrive (Sun 23) it does not play during the week, and I really want the 9pm performance cause with that being our arrival date (plane lands at lax at 11:00am) but it's 4.5 hr flight and a time change so prob after fantasmic and fire works we will call it a night! I also booked a WOC lunch, & brunch at Goofy's kitchen. I'm lost after that. I thought about 1/2 day Cabana rental, I know my DS's would like that but will it be warm enough in March ? and is the pool really crowded mid afternoon? . I planned a no park day mid week to sleep in, have late b-fast at Goofy's kitchen and then do the pool with Cabana late afternoon and then DTD for wandering and dinner. Not sure if the Cabana should be booked b4 I go , kind of worried about weather. The tours: A walk in walts footsteps & discover the magic, will they hold the attention of an 11 & 14 year old & are they worth the money. & the time? what is Club 33 (did not see that restaurant, & ride max?) you can drive the mark twain? What & where is that? & is a lunch at Blue Bayou really worth it? My boys love POTC & I heard it's even better at DL but the menu did not look that kid friendly so I did the Barbecue by BTM (which will be closed while we are there) instead. I know this is a lot of questions so any help or guidance will be much appreciated. I want the trip to be really special cause it's just me and the boys. & it will probably be their only trip to DLR. We are all very excited 22 days!!

Can you tell me more about the port and chocolate tasting please?

Here is some good information about it. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/...den-vine-winery-port-and-bleu-cheese-tasting/

Unfortunately, they officially did away with the port and chocolate tasting as they told me the port and cheese tasting was far more popular. However, since Ghirardelli's is now right around the corner in the park, they told me at the Wine Bar where you sign up that you can bring your own chocolate and they'll set it all up for you. I haven't tried that but I might, but it seems silly to have done away with it right when Ghirardelli's moved into the park!

Anyway, I've heard the other tastings are fun, but I'm not a bleu cheese fan. They give you generous pours, tell you a lot of history and fun info, chat with you and we were given several extras to try as well. It doesn't cost much and was so enjoyable!

DISNEYLAND!!!! That is our splurge.
Other then that we dont spend much money in the parks and so far we have been lucky as far as wait times go. Although we have never seen WOC, so this time we might watch it.

Here's my list:

Staying at the GCH
Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen
Silhouettes
Eating at Trattoria

Been to WDW more times than can count but am a DL newbie. I am bring my boys 11,14 to DLR over spring break (March 23-28) DH is staying back. I love this thread about what it is worth to splurge on & since we are from Chicago- Orlando is always more reasonable than California. I am already doing a few of the splurges suggested but have a few questions that maybe some of you vets can fill in the blanks.
Itinerary so far includes 5 nights at Disneyland Hotel Concierge floor (both a splurge and a necessity with 2 growing boys just for the b-fast alone,,and all the soda's & waters for the parks, also mid afternoon munchies plus the splurge of the extra services like turn down service, the lounge and own club lounge concierge (I don't usually use them to much at WDW cause I usually know as much as they do haha, but now I'm going to unchartered water w kids alone, so I know I will have questions!

So far I have booked fantasmic dessert package (kind of a splurge cause don't really want to camp out for hours for seats & the only night we can see it is the night we arrive (Sun 23) it does not play during the week, and I really want the 9pm performance cause with that being our arrival date (plane lands at lax at 11:00am) but it's 4.5 hr flight and a time change so prob after fantasmic and fire works we will call it a night! I also booked a WOC lunch, & brunch at Goofy's kitchen. I'm lost after that. I thought about 1/2 day Cabana rental, I know my DS's would like that but will it be warm enough in March ? and is the pool really crowded mid afternoon? . I planned a no park day mid week to sleep in, have late b-fast at Goofy's kitchen and then do the pool with Cabana late afternoon and then DTD for wandering and dinner. Not sure if the Cabana should be booked b4 I go , kind of worried about weather. The tours: A walk in walts footsteps & discover the magic, will they hold the attention of an 11 & 14 year old & are they worth the money. & the time? what is Club 33 (did not see that restaurant, & ride max?) you can drive the mark twain? What & where is that? & is a lunch at Blue Bayou really worth it? My boys love POTC & I heard it's even better at DL but the menu did not look that kid friendly so I did the Barbecue by BTM (which will be closed while we are there) instead. I know this is a lot of questions so any help or guidance will be much appreciated. I want the trip to be really special cause it's just me and the boys. & it will probably be their only trip to DLR. We are all very excited 22 days!!

ChitownWDWgirl: I think you'll get a LOT more replies if you start a new thread. I'll try to answer some of these those.

- I think having reservations for restaurants, shows, and the cabana make sense, even in late March, as you're coming during Spring Break season.
- I've never done the tours (and never been a teenage boy!) so I don't know if they will appeal to teenage boys.
- Club 33 is a private membership club near New Orleans Square that serves meals ONLY to members and their invited guests. Some DISBoard users are Club 33 members or have been lucky enough to get special invites. Regular folks can't buy their way in, as there's a long waiting list for membership, too.
- Yes, I've read here that you can go up with the captain and drive the Mark Twain (the large white riverboat, see https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/mark-twain-riverboat/) if you ask a CM early.
- We haven't eaten at BB yet as my girls are little and too scared to go on POTC.

Have a great time!

Saying, "Yes!" as often as possible: Yes! you can have ice cream for lunch. Yes! we can ride Screamin' 3x in a row. Yes! we can go back to the hotel and swim for as long as you want [when staying at DLH/GCH/HoJo's only - otherwise: "You can swim when we get home!"] Yes! we can go to Goofy's Kitchen even though you guys are never hungry when we go. Yes! we can stay on Tom Sawyer Island/Challenge Trail/Toon Town, and [Heaven help me] Innoventions as long as you like. "Yes!" is my DL splurge. ;)

Love this and totally agree with it!!!

Our splurges:

Staying onsite; usually concierge
Holiday Tour (if applicable)
At least one nice sit down meal (CCR, BB, etc)
Disney 365 makeovers
Build a bear
Ice cream from Gibson Girl & watching the parade
Photopass +
Character meals

Ok, here are mine!!

*Staying at the DLH! (yep, I'm a convert now! Show me the magic!!)
*Eating at Napa Rose Chef's Counter (Best meal we've EVER had!)
*Blue Bayou waterside
*Those dark chocolate and caramel dipped marshmallows on a stick! I had 3 this time! YUM!!!
*Warm churros all around! Kids thought it was so cool they got their own!
*A new mug each trip to remember it by!
*All of the character meals, we don't really have a fave, we love them all!
*This trip was Build a Bear Workshop for all three girls with ALL the extras! Their faces were PRICELESS! They were so excited! :yay:
*Telling my oldest DD YES! You can go on the monorail waterslides as many times as you want!! ALLLLL day!!
*DLH room service chocolate praline cake! YUM!
*Getting the kiddos dolled up at the BBB! FUN!
*Mickey pretzels with cheese sauce...we love those!
*Letting the kids buy whatever they want in WOD store!
*My fave starbucks drink and a stroll down mainstreet...does it get any better?!
*Aaaannnnd (drum roll please!) my most favorite splurge to date...the GORGEOUS Dooney and Bourke "Retro" Disneyland print bag that I just picked up yesterday! It is soooo cute! I have been eyeing these on ebay for some time, but, as a previous poster said, it is SO much more special if you pick it out and buy it at DISNEYLAND! The extra magic (almost) makes it seem like a bargain! :rotfl: I love, love LOVE it!! :cloud9:

the things we splurged on our last trip:

Photo pass at DLR (and buying photos at the other parks we went to)
DL Lunch at Blue Bayou
DCA Lunch at Ariels
Getting everyone a DL hoodie on our first day
letting the kids buy a souvenier at WOD on our last day
and the best was getting characatures/portraits done in DCA ( near the Duffy meet and greet area )

Character meal dining - not worth it unless you REALLY care about the characters.

Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou and Napa Rose - total worth the splurge!

Concierge at any Disney property - not worth it unless it was a free upgrade

Photopass - worth it because I love my memories

I will also spend on things I know I will use over and over again like Disney themed Dooney and Bourkes, Aloha shirts or jackets for my boys.

I have also never regretted art purchases.

I don't waste money on plastic stuff, never bought toys and such for DS.

1. Family dinner in the NAPA Rose (with the kiddies) in the waiting area. Using the club chairs and tables to create our own private dining area.
2. Vera Bradley Mickey Tote
3. Cafe Orleans for the seafood crepe & the Monte Cristo (the Blue Bayou is not as much fun)
4. Goofy's Kitchen for Breakfast on non-park day
5. Plaza Inn for late breakfast/early lunch at Disneyland
6. At least one or two Disney photos taken of our group.
7. Tiny plush Mickey and Minnie clips to hang on my purse or lanyard
8. A fabulous black baseball cap with a silhouette of Mickey in gold sequins

I'm loving this thread! I'm a couponer & a very frugal momma & when we go on any trip we usually stay at a hotel thats offsight but one with a kitchen so we can eat our meals in our room (with one night eating out) to save money.......

But our trip to DLR in Dec. we are taking all the money I'm able to save by couponing & were going to splurge on:

-Annual Passes
-staying at the DLH (wooot!)
-not packing the kitchen sink & trying out the restaurants in CA & DL instead & Character Dining
-doing the holiday tour
- trying all the snack foods you Dis-ers keep saying are amazing! ( I have an on-going list I keep adding too. lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter