Most Valuable Tip???

Shooby doo said:
Take your time,you can miss so much of the extra detail charging from ride to ride.Wear comfortable shoes-you will be surprised how far you can walk in 1 day!!Authograph books for the kids,bring your own pens,just make sure that they are easy enough for a Character to use ie. not too fiddly.Take water bottles to the parks,you'd be amazed at how much you drink. Any time that you get your photo taken,ask the CM to also take a photo with your camera,that way you have a "back-up" incase you don't like theirs or don't want to spend a fortune! But most of all ENJOY SD :paw:

Thanks for the tips. DW will be doing a scrapbook of our trip, so we'll be taking plenty of photos and I think that comfortable shoes will be the tip we'll appreciate most.

ottawamom said:
Go to the parks with a gameplan. You don't have to follow it religiously but it helps to organize your touring through the parks so that the kids get to ride and do their highest priorities. My husband always calls me a commando but he and the kids are happy we get as much done as we do. Research-research-research it will pay off!

That is how I typically do things, I research everything I can and plan trips out. Given that we'll be there for nine days, I'm going to relax a bit and go a little less commando (love that term) than I usually would. If we had gone with our original plan of four or five days, then I'd probably plan things out more to see as much as possible. This is our first real vacation in many years, so I'm really looking forward to the end of the day when the kids are exhausted and in bed and DW and myself are outside and relaxing.

ahhh, we can't wait! :)

minnie61650 said:
First of all I would like to offer my deepest symphany on the passing of your father.
My tips:
Take the ferry to the Magic Kingdom.
It's a very nice ride over.
Also don't forget the campfire sing-along at FW.
Chip and Dale are often there and then there is marshmellow roasting and a disney movie after. The campfire is free to WDW guests.
Have a great time at Disney!
Linda ::MinnieMo

Thank you for your condolences. I know my dad will be looking down and smiling as the kids experience the magic. :goodvibes

The more we read about FW the more we loved the idea of being on property and immersed in the magic while still being in a secluded area that allows us to relax. We're looking forward to the ferry rides and the sing-alongs. I personally can't wait until the first time the kids see Chip and Dale, I loved them when I was a kid.

I think I've lost about 10 years planning this trip! :rotfl2:

twinsman said:
1. Get to the parks early

2. Understand and use Fastpass

3. Don't try to do it all for the sake of doing it all. Do what you like.

We'll wave as we pass through Rochester on the drive down. ;)

We'll definitely be doing #2 and embracing #3. #1 ain't gonna happen, DW and myself are not morning people, :rotfl2:

MicheinMA said:
Enjoy it. Too many times we went and just boogied through the parks trying to squeeze everything in. The last time we went we did it more leisurely and really enjoyed it. Got to experience a lot of the smaller things people don't notice. We're headed down again next year with our 2 little ones and I just can't wait! :wave2:

That's us, we're going to take it easy in spite of my inherent need to plan things to death, lol. I figure that my research will pay off when we're looking for something to do. It's amazing just how much there is to do. Just when I think I have a grasp on things, I find out something new. :earsboy:

Yensid_MD said:
My *** is realize that once you experience the Magic, you will want to go back so don't try to get everything done in on this one trip.

Buy the Passporter guidebook as it is great for recording all your trip details and organizing your thoughts. Has pockets to store stuff, and place to right down your ADRs.

I have not been to it but I hear the Hoop de doo revue (sp?) is supposed to be great. It is a must see for many people.

It is a vacation, not when you should wear yourself out. Take breaks back at the pool in the midday.

Have fun!

We're picking up the passporter and it'll be in hand along with our Birnbaums guide. We've heard great things about the Hoop de doo, but not sure whether we'll be able to go, but it looks like a great hokey time. Our kids love to swim so I'm sure we'll be hitting the pool daily.

deltachi8 said:
Drink lots of water, wear a hat and use a touring plan.

There's nice one day schedules for each of the parks in the Birnbaums guide that we plan on splitting up into two day plans. This way we'll still have a relaxing time without rushing and still have a nice list of things to see during our times in the parks.

MonkeyPants said:
I agree, especially with # 3. And indeed as excited as you are likely to be (almost as much as the kids [or more] if you are anything like others on this board) take it slow and easy and really experience Disney. Other amusement parks you only go to, Disney you experience. Does that make sense?

Total sense. This isn't Six Flags, this is WDW!!! :earsboy:

That alone is the reason I've spent so much time researching the trip and attempting to make this much more than just a vacation.

Shinji said:
Make sure everyone has comfortable walking shoes. I remember one year I wore the wrong kind of shoes (a comfortable pair of DC skateboarding shoes) and I ended up miserable with sore feet after the second or third day. My wife had the same problem that year after wearing sandles for just one day.

Even with a decent pair of New Balance walking shoes, I typically still get blisters on my feet everytime we go to WDW.

We're going to make sure that we have two pairs of comfortable walking shoes for each of us and plenty of socks. I know what it's like to have to do a lot of walking in shoes that aren't comfortable and we're going to avoid that like the plague, especially when it comes to the kids.

carolfoy said:
My MVP remember that not everyone enjoys the same rides, if someone thinks somethings too scary for them then it probably is, try and research rides suitable for each member of your party so that if X and Y don't want to do that one thing you know they've got time to go over to another ride and meet with you later

DW and I are planning on splitting up a day later in the week so that I can take DS7 on rides he'd like and she can take Twin DD5 to things that they would like more. We'll squeeze in rides throughout the week and do repeats on that split day. I know my son would prefer not to ride the teacups more than once. :rotfl2:

milmore104 said:
REnt a pantoon boat at DTD and explore the other resorts and surroundings. It's lots of fun and a nice way to spend a relaxing afternoon.

I was actually thinking about doing something like that on our first day which we've decided to stay in FW to rest up a bit and get acclimated to our surroundings. I'm actually looking forward to the slow times in FW as much as the times in the parks themselves.

dgaston said:
Go to one of the MNSSHP during your October stay. Let the kids trick or treat, get their faces painted and watch the special parade.

Definitely! DW and kids LOVE halloween, which is one of the reasons why we decided to be there on the 31st. Although I have to admit that I planned that more for DW than the kids. ;)

Kimberly815 said:
My Tip would be. . .do all the planning you can while you are at home. Then once you leave for vacation, don't worry about it, and just go with the flow. You don't want to stress too much over following what you planned, and you will have a great time.

If possible, bring 2 pairs of good walking shoes and switch out every day. It will prevent that constant rubbing that the same pair of shoes will cause after a few days. ;)

Above all else. HAVE A GREAT TIME!! :wizard:

Thanks! If it weren't for the excitement of the trip itself, I might be burned out from all the research. But I have to admit, I'm probably as excited about this trip as the kids will be once they find out about it.

pooh2001 said:
I can not stresss it more -

MAKE COPIES OF YOUR TICKETS - not the pretty picture, copy the back with the magnetic strip and #'s.

Thanks! Another great tip I never would have thought of. :cool1:

ms.ojo said:
Lots of good tips!!!! :cool1:

Some things we've learned by necessity:

Have strollers for children under 6!! It is a LOT of walking. And having the stroller gives you a place to stash a few things too.

At AK be SURE to eat at Flametree BBQ. When you face the restaurant go around it to the LEFT. You will be surprised to find a little path that leads you down into the most quiet and secluded dining area. You can see the river from many tables. It really revives our family to dine there mid day!

Thanks for the tips. We're on the dining plan, so DW and myself have spent much time checking out our various options for dinner. I've heard a lot of good things about the Flametree BBQ and it's already on our list. ;)

ms.ojo said:
We too bring treats from home (lights sticks, small Disney themed toys) to give while waiting for parades, dinner or in the morning. :love:

Return for an afternoon rest (doesn't have to mean nap) OR do not tour more than 2 days in a row w/out a rest day. It really is a LOT of walking, and is SO much more enjoyable when everyone is well rested...and well fed!!!!

We will definitely be taking afternoon rests. I know the kids will resist the first day, but once they've had a full day of exploring, they'll be grateful for the break.

ms.ojo said:
On that note....Don't wait to long for meals! And have a few quick snacks/drinks w/ you just in case. Nothing is worse than hearing a family griping at each other b/c they are all starving/tired and no one can make a dec'n or agree upon anything. :rolleyes: Please don't let this happen to you. It can so easily be avoided.

Have a great trip!!!!!!!! It's the most magical place on earth!

With our kids, specifically DS7 (who is in a constant growing spurt) there is little chance that we CAN go too long between meals! :rotfl2:Not that I can talk too much myself (pats belly) ;)

Hodder said:
I am sorry about your father. Our trip was suppose to be last fall with my parents but my mother (who had cancer) just kept getting sicker :sad2: . She passed away in December and my father gave us the trip. The only thing we had to pay for was our meals (lucked into free dining) and spending money.

My condolences on losing your mother, I know how much it hurts to lose a parent. I've lost three family members recently, my Grandmother, two weeks later my Grandfather and then nearly a month later, my father. The primary reason for this trip is to give something very special to the kids from my father, who they didn't get to see nearly as much as they wanted to, especially in the past year. I want them to remember this trip forever because I want them to remember him, forever.

The other reason for this trip is that I just need to really take a break from life and enjoy being somewhere where I just don't have to worry about everyday things.

Hodder said:
I am planning on releasing a balloon with a message on it for her when we go to MK. :angel:

That's a great idea. I might do that with the kids, thank you balloons to their grandfather.

Hodder said:
I say don't sweat the small stuff!!

lol, I don't have the time to sweat the small stuff. ;)

HaleyB said:
I am sorry about your father, it is so hard to lose a parent.

Thank You.

HaleyB said:
My *** (if I limit myself to something that has not already been said) is ride the Monorail just because it is there and ask to see if you can sit in the front.

My son will insist on riding the monorail, so I don't think I'd have any choice in the matter. ;)

I don't think this has been mentioned...

We tried a product called Body Glide at WDW and highly recommend it. We bought both the roll on and the powder version and consider them to be "feet-savers".

You put a little of the powder in your socks and it keeps them from getting hot spots or blisters. The roll on you can put on whereever you feel friction might cause you trouble (for some of us that is everywhere except our teeth and eyes)...

HTH!
Mel :teeth:

MelodyMack said:
I don't think this has been mentioned...

We tried a product called Body Glide at WDW and highly recommend it. We bought both the roll on and the powder version and consider them to be "feet-savers".

You put a little of the powder in your socks and it keeps them from getting hot spots or blisters. The roll on you can put on whereever you feel friction might cause you trouble (for some of us that is everywhere except our teeth and eyes)...

HTH!
Mel :teeth:

I've actually read several members referring to various products like that. I've never heard of them until coming here and I'm looking into them now. Anything that saves a blister...! ;)

We are taking our goddaughter(6). We sent her a letter from (Mickey) I put it in the envolpe with our reservation letter. Sealed it back up andw e opened it with her she was so happy to have her own letter from Mickey. We have bought some cheap goddies that we will use to help save money on toys and stuf in the park>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter