• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most unusual restaurant

Casa Bonita oh gawwwww lolololol!

I live in Denver and CB is a rite of passage! The food is overpriced and awful BUT it's all part if the experience! The entertainment is amazing!! Cliff divers, some dude in a gorilla suit...oh man. It's crazy!

We were there just a few weeks ago. AWFUL!!!! There was 8 of us and not one person enjoyed it (ages 10-65). We felt duped. We are a super easy crowd to please too. The wait was long, the food was terrible and the entertainment was really overhyped. We were all looking forward to the dives show. It lasted about 5 minutes and we could barely see anything. Most of the games in the arcade were out-of-order.
We finally decided that the real rite of passage was to trick the next person into going. It was the only thing that we need did during a week long visit from family that everyone agreed was bad.

We were there just a few weeks ago. AWFUL!!!! There was 8 of us and not one person enjoyed it (ages 10-65). We felt duped. We are a super easy crowd to please too. The wait was long, the food was terrible and the entertainment was really overhyped. We were all looking forward to the dives show. It lasted about 5 minutes and we could barely see anything. Most of the games in the arcade were out-of-order.
We finally decided that the real rite of passage was to trick the next person into going. It was the only thing that we need did during a week long visit from family that everyone agreed was bad.

It must have gone 'down hill' since we were there many years ago. The entertainment as well as the food was 'very' good then. Sorry about your experience. :confused3

It must have gone 'down hill' since we were there many years ago. The entertainment as well as the food was 'very' good then. Sorry about your experience. :confused3

It's been about five years since our family has been there. I thought it was fun the last time we went. We had a great time. I hate to hear that it's gone downhill.

:thumbsup2 Thanks! I think I will give it a miss. There's a German place on the way back from Mount Falcon (I'm coming in on an early flight Sunday to go hiking!) that looks tempting, so you've just made up my mind. German and then on to Ethopian food!

The Magic Time Machine in Austin closed a number of years ago. Their business pretty much disappeared, possibly because the premise of the restaurant was from the 1960's. Austin loves to pretend it's trendy, ya know. Plus the location was terrible.

Went downtown this weekend... there was indeed a whole lot of pretending going on.

I remember that Magic Time Machine. It's been gone for some 20 years now.

El Tintero in Malaga. Take a seat a drink order is taken no menu us given now or later!this is when the fun starts. all the waiters the start coming from the kitchen carrying plates of food shouting f what it is is as they go through the restaurant and if you fancy what they have you just make eye contact or shout back!your plates are not cleared either just pile them at the side because each plate is different and worth a certain amount. When your finished look for the waiter who shouts 'I charge'he adds up the plates and gives your bill!!

If they were Asian this would be Dim Sum -- and is pretty common around me --

There is one in LA too. The wait staff would put on a show periodically throughout the meal. It was always a lot of fun.

Mine are:
Ed Debevics in Chicago-with the World's smallest sundae! It's a 50's diner where they dance on the table, dress funny or like old celebrities, and are mean to you.

And there is my all time favorite from my childhood, The Carinvore in Nairobi. If you love all kinds of meat (including game meat, snake, etc...) this is the place to go.

Here are some photos. The photo of the menu tells me they have stopped serving some things that tourists might find offensive.

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+carnivore+nairobi+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=t5fsUfHxIJCm9gSjq4GoBg&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1321&bih=802

I went there in 2003! I tried a couple things but couldn't bring myself to be crazy adventurous! Definitely a cool experience though... Would recommend it to anyone going!

I've been to the previously mentioned Casa Bonita (thought it was terrible), La Casa Botin, Jekyll and Hyde, and Ed Debevics. Some not yet mentioned:

Yo! Sushi - Sushi on a conveyor belt
Nicolas Flamel - A nice restaurant located in the 1400's former home of alchemist Nicolas Flamel
Red Square - A "Soviet Russia" themed restaurant in Las Vegas with an excellent selection of Vodkas from around the world.

And there is my all time favorite from my childhood, The Carinvore in Nairobi. If you love all kinds of meat (including game meat, snake, etc...) this is the place to go.

I have friends who have been to this one. It's on my bucket list!

I would vote for Mythos at Universal's Islands of Adventure park, plus the menu is very creative and goes with the awesome atmosphere. I would eat there everyday if I could, such a cool place. FOr those of you who have never been it is kind of like part ancient ruin, part cave, with cool waterfalls coming off of it, but its kind of hard to explain.

That reminds me - there used to be a restaurant called Mars 2120 at Woodfield Mall outside of Chicago -- you got in a "spaceship" - reminds me of Star Tours - and take a "trip" that goes wrong to Mars for your meal. Then you got out the other side of the vehicle to go to your table. Didn't last long, but it was fun.

Sounds like Mars 2112 in NYC. Place just went out of business this year. Great atmosphere, lousy food.

Blind Lemon Alley! Teeny little burger bar tucked out of the way in a back alley. It had room for 5 tables and no more. Best burgers ever!

All of the Disney offerings, plus NYC restaurants Ellen's Stardust, Mars 2112, Jekyll and Hyde.

But I really miss 56th Fighter Group. It was at Republic Airport in Farmingdale, a small, regional airport. The theme was WW II air force base but you could listen to the real control tower and watch the planes take off and land.

We used to go to the Magic Time Machine in Dallas back in high school. There was also the Old San Fransisco Steakhouse here in Austin where periodically a lady dressed somewhat burlesque style would get on a swing suspended from the ceiling and swing out over the crowd until she was high enough to ring a bell on the ceiling. My favorite unique dining experience was at an Indian restaurant called the Clay Pit. Most of the restaurant is normal but there a quite small room underneath that is like a cave, very quiet and pretty dark, but a fun/romantic way to enjoy a meal. It only holds about 8 tables.

We took our kids to that Mars 2112 restaurant in Times Square a couple of times. They enjoyed the atmosphere, but the food was terrible.

Here in SA, we have the Magic Time Machine. There is one in Austin too.
The waitstaff are all dressed in character, try to portray the character and the place is just a maze of a time warp.
We ate there end of December, and I think the Magic of the Magic Time Machine must be contained in all the dust.
I don't think it's been cleaned since 1970.
Our poor waiter was Zorro, and we gave him such a hard time. Food was horrid, but we did give him a decent tip to make up for our joking around.

The Magic Time Machine used to be awesome - the wait staff would wear great theatre style costumes, would get into their roles and the food was good. I took my son to the one in SA about four years ago and it was awful. The wait staff wears cheap Halloween costumes now and the food was terrible. I agree that the whole place needed a good cleaning. It's too bad because it was really fun back in the 80's. I remember getting the Roman Orgy where you ate everything with your hands.

We used to go to the Magic Time Machine in Dallas back in high school. There was also the Old San Fransisco Steakhouse here in Austin where periodically a lady dressed somewhat burlesque style would get on a swing suspended from the ceiling and swing out over the crowd until she was high enough to ring a bell on the ceiling. My favorite unique dining experience was at an Indian restaurant called the Clay Pit. Most of the restaurant is normal but there a quite small room underneath that is like a cave, very quiet and pretty dark, but a fun/romantic way to enjoy a meal. It only holds about 8 tables.

I had two good friends that worked at the Old San Francisco Steakhouse in Houston - one was the "swinger" - there was a height/weight requirement and would only swing once an hour. I loved the cheese blocks there.

Went downtown this weekend... there was indeed a whole lot of pretending going on.

I remember that Magic Time Machine. It's been gone for some 20 years now.

Really, twenty years it's been gone? Geez louise, I am old!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter