Most overused word?

I've lived near STL my whole life & can only recall a couple of small children ever calling a soft drink "sodie". "Soda" is the typical STL moniker.

Might be the high class places I frequent in St. Louis......Waffle House,:eek: White Castle,:scared1: Steak N Shake:woohoo: and Psqhettis:idea:. Staff there all referred to it as sodie.

kaligal said:
Saying "literally" when what you mean is "figuratively."

I do enjoy it when people say they were electrocuted. That is fun.

Depends if they mean it literally or figuratively ;).

Not a word, but there seems to be great overuse of 'punctuation as text'. When did a question mark replace the word question?

#1 on my list isn't just 1 word, but 3......

"Wow. Just Wow."

This is also way overused :confused3. Not to mention most of the time I am pretty sure people are using it as a substitue for calling someone an idiot.

This one gets me too.

Probably only because someone on the moderating staff learned that "Bless Your Heart" doesn't mean what most people think it means. (ask a southerner if you're confused... ;))

Where we live, "Bless Your Heart" means bless you heart in a sincere way. I was shocked when it was used in a movie sarcastically.

"I have a stupid question" or "I have a weird question" - turns out it has been asked at least a few times in the last week. The questions are not stupid or weird.

Just thought of another one, "queue".

There appears to be a new one out there as well.

If you ask someone a question like...What do you feel about your car (could be anything)?

The reply is..."I mean, it runs good but I don't like the color."

I mean, seems to be the new start to every sentence and taken the place of "like" as a non-essential word or phrase.:rotfl:

Not sure "queue" fits in the overused category, anymore than words like "yes", "no" "hello", etc. They are all frequently used words out of necessity. Now, I am speaking of the world queue as it relates to computers.......and I admit...that despite the fact that all our support software, and all the people that come in to train us on the software call all master files "queues"........a few people are not familiar with that use of the word. Some just call them files.

Not sure "queue" fits in the overused category, anymore than words like "yes", "no" "hello", etc. They are all frequently used words out of necessity. Now, I am speaking of the world queue as it relates to computers.......and I admit...that despite the fact that all our support software, and all the people that come in to train us on the software call all master files "queues"........a few people are not familiar with that use of the word. Some just call them files.

I mean queue as in: We waited in the queue for Space Mountain 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This one gets me too.

Where we live, "Bless Your Heart" means bless you heart in a sincere way. I was shocked when it was used in a movie sarcastically.

"I have a stupid question" or "I have a weird question" - turns out it has been asked at least a few times in the last week. The questions are not stupid or weird.

I am guilty of that

I mean queue as in: We waited in the queue for Space Mountain 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Okay. Can't say I've heard that in a Disney Park......but a few times on BBC shows

This one gets me too.

In the south, "Bless your heart" can be sincere. Maybe, maybe not. You generally can tell by the tone. However "bless her or his heart" is never sincere. It's generally recognized as "he's hot the sharpest knife in the drawer" or "the light is on but no one is home". Mostly, in reference to common sense not necessarily book knowledge.

One that may drive people crazy is that in the south, coke is overused for any soft drink except mountain dew and dr pepper. Diet coke is the same.

Overused phrase- At the end of the day....

Still not seeing the problem, I'm afraid. Are you saying that they should just say "We waited for Space Mountain for 1 hour and 15 minutes" and skip saying queue/line? Because queue is a perfectly normal (and valid) alternative for the word line (though I don't see it here very often).

But, I guess we all have one totally normal/valid word that bugs us.

I'm with others who dislike "souvies", "ressies", "sammies" (which does seem less common than the first two), and other "cute" short forms.

I can see why that would be annoying, but I have to admit I don't think other than kiddos I have ever heard or seen ANYONE use those terms.
Some may be regional. I know when I am in St Louis everyone calls soft drinks "sodie", never heard that anywhere else. I understand that in Atlanta every thing is a Coke, and in Texas Dr. Pepper, and New York, Pepsi.

Consider yourself lucky. There are two restaurants around here that actually have

"Sammies"

on their menu. Yes, that is what they call sandwiches on their menus. That's how common it is here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter