Most Overrated things people rave about at WDW

But no one raves about Stitch. ;)
WE love stitch. We know to put our hands on our shoulders as the support comes down. It is helpful. It can vary with the crowd, with it actually being funny at times. Just like sometimes on 7dmt when people sing and clap it changes the experience.

1. Lobster Roll from Columbia Harbour House
2. Main Street Electrical Parade (UH HELLO CAN WE GET SOMETHING LIKE PAINT THE NIGHT!?)
3. School Bread
4. Symphony in the Stars Fireworks
5. Pool lounging - don't get me wrong, I LOVE exploring the resorts but I cannot spend hours on end in the pool.
6. Bay Lake Tower - the smell gives me a headache and while I appreciate the proximity to the Magic Kingdom I just feel it's underwhelming.
7. Art of Animation
8. Cinderella's Royal Table - the food was okay at best; the real selling point here is the "magic" of eating inside the castle. A GREAT character dining experience? Garden Grill.

#1-The new Disney Springs. I can find many of the "new" stores in the mall at home, give me something different.
#2-Turkey Legs-YUCK!!
#3-Bippity Boppity Boutique-nothing like spending $200 to make your 6 year old look like they're 16 and having them walk around a hot amusement park with fancy hair and long dresses with sparkly makeup.
#4-Fantasmic-sitting 90 minutes for a 30 minute show was fine the first/second time.
#5-table service dining inside an amusement park-If I'm spending $100 a pop to get in, I'm not spending 2 hours of park time spending another $50-75 to stuff myself to the point I don't feel like spending the rest of the day in the park. Give my a $12-15 quick serve meal, down it in 30 minutes, and keep on rolling.

Last edited:
But I agree that Indiana Jones is boring.[/QUOTE]

I was so happy to read this!...I am very respectful of performers, but I HAD TO walk out of this about 15 minutes in because I felt my soul dying in its presence! I felt bad, but would have felt worse having looks of horror on my face for a half hour more.:scared1: I would rather spend that 45 minutes on the Carousel of Progress!

Character meet and greets..

boggles my mind how even when people that are beyond a certain age who know that these are people in costumes, will still wait an hour or more for pictures.
I get if your little toddler is there, it's like meeting Santa at the mall, they believe it's really them.

Yes, yes, yes! And Autographs (after a 'certain' age) - why? A college kid signing a piece of paper.

I can't believe how many times I see Fastasmic.....in m opinion that show is one of my top three favorites. just clueless and i love that show.

The vast majority of things that have been listed are things that I love most about Disney. So I think this thread is hysterical. And also shows why Disney has so much variety-- because clearly different people get into different things.

And if they take Fantastic away, I will legit cry. I already am going to DL while it's not going to happen and that's just painful enough! But while I would be happy to see some things added or updated, I love that show enough that I would go every week if I could. I've seen it at least 25 times by now and I still dance and sing along to the whole thing.

So when I did the Disney College Program, they had me working backstage at Fantasmic...and I'd still go and see it on my night off several times per month. I cringe a little every time someone says they hate the show, which is silly because it's not as though anyone's blaming the cast members who put it on; my assumption is that anyone who doesn't like it doesn't like the writing and design and/or just doesn't think it's a good enough payoff for how long you have to wait in order to get a seat. My mother is in that second camp; I had to make it very very clear on our last trip that it was something I REALLY wanted to see again because she would have been perfectly happy to skip anything resembling a show. The "I've seen it once and that's enough" attitude some people have at least makes more sense to me than outright disdain; if I didn't have a very personal love for the show from working at it I might be of the same mind.

3. Tsum Tsum
Tsums are super cute, but...yeah. I've hit a point in my life where the last thing I need is small objects that stack on a shelf (or whatever you're supposed to do with them). At least I find them more appealing than Pop! vinyl figures. It's the same sort of idea (make a bunch of collectible toys/display objects with similar base designs apart from color and a few wingding accessories), but I've always found the Pop! figures just...unsettling.

MagicBands. They only exist to track you the same way animals are tagged for study in the wild yet people pay extra to collect them and decorate them.
I quite like the utility of MagicBands and disagree with your "only," but I still liked your post because you made me titter.

Park Hopping -- does anyone really do this? Even if a park is a half-day scene I'd much rather go back and hang at the resort than move to another park
Well, obviously people do, yes. I don't think I've ever had a vacation where we spent an entire day at a single Disney park. It hardly takes any time at all to move from one park to another, and for whatever reason it's always just felt right to start the day at one park and end it at another (to the point that when I considered non-Park Hopper tickets for this last trip, my mother and I both came to the conclusion that it would make us feel "trapped"!). One time I even did a solo four park day as a farewell to WDW when I finished up my College Program stint, and it was a lovely day that I remember very fondly five years later.

I don't understand the whole pin trading thing. I don't get why anyone would want to wear a heavy lanyard full of pins all day.
Okay, this one I agree with. I like the Disney pins, but the backs don't keep them on very well, so I wouldn't want to wear them around an amusement park (they'd be so likely to fall off and get lost!). Then, too, my attitude about pins has always been confusion over why I would not just buy the ones I liked instead of going through all this social interaction with strangers in the hopes that they have something I want.

Have the refillable mugs been mentioned? I got them once and found them to be a PITA. After eating breakfast, we either had to carry them around the rest of the day ( bc we didn't want to go back to the room) and who wants to carry multiple mugs when you can't even use them at the park? Or we had to schlep back to the room to drop them off and then catch the bus ( at a resort like POR, that can be hike and time- waster). We are rarely at the resort for lunch or dinner, so Breakfast is the only time we used them.

Yes, yes, yes to the refillable mugs! We thought it was going to be amazing when we first heard about it but quickly learned they were a PITA. We used them on the rare occasion at night at the resort but they are not ideal to carry around all day.

We love a lot of what people don't...Fantasmic!, Mickey's Bar, Dole Whip. For us I would say Test Track, Space Mountain, Illuminations, BOG are on our "meh" list.

I'm afraid I disagree that Fantastic is overrated, I love the show and honestly would pay the price of admission to the park just to see the show

This is a very interesting thread and I really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on the things others rave about as their "must dos"

Overrated for me:
1. Hollywood Studios-- "back in the day" I always loved this park bc I was big into theater and performances but now that I have children, there's literally nothing for young kids to do! They can only stand so many shows and they don't like Star Wars. We're huge Frozen fans, but last summer it was just... too much.
2. Frozen EVERYTHING-- like I said we're huge Frozen fans but it's getting a little out of control. The wait for just meeting Elsa and Anna is outrageous and they keep coming up with new Frozen things (like the ride in Norway)
3. Disney snacks in general-- we LOVE Dole Whips and cinnamon roasted pecans but other than that all the other snacks I've come across that people are obsessed with, I just don't see the hype
4. BBB-- my daughter loves being pampered but with paying that price there should be way more than 3 hairstyles to choose from. And she wasn't a huge fan of having her bangs pinned back so tight her head hurt. We're trying the mermaid makeover at the Pirate League this time around.
5. Coronado Springs-- I've never had a bad experience at a WDW resort hotel until we stayed here a few years ago. It was way too big for a moderate, the staff was rude, and checking in was a nightmare.
6. Starbucks in the parks-- what's the point?!
7. CRT-- we went for lunch last summer and I've never felt so rushed during a meal. The waiter was so rude and actually took my daughters plate while she was still eating to switch it out for dessert. My husband and I were speechless! The only thing that made up for it was how interactive and amazing the princesses were!

I love school bread, Dole Whip floats, Fantasmic and Illuminations. :)

I will never know whether dessert parties are overrated because there isn't a chance in Hades that I would ever pay what they are asking to attend them.

I don't get the appeal of "rope drop", which is not to say it's overrated, it's just not worth it to me. Any day I'm not working, and especially when on vacation, I want to sleep in a bit. I get that these Disney trips are increasingly expensive and we're compelled to cram in as much as possible but...I just can't be bothered to get up and out before 11AM if I don't have to. Sleep in, room service breakfast, and then take my time getting ready...that's vacation to me! I guess I'm just not a morning person...

I also think the DDP and FP+ are overrated and feel they have ruined my favorite way of touring the World...leisurely. Now, just to have a decent meal and to not have to wait in ridiculously long lines one has to be far too structured and scheduled these days and I resent it a bit.

Still have 200 posts to read, but here's my 5:

1. Disney dining plan
2. Concierge/club level
3. Chef Mickey's
4. Space Mountain (4a. Peter Pan)
5. Downtown Disney/Disney Springs

I know, 1 and 2 seem to conflict with 5, but here goes:

1. Post after post says you pay less if you pay out of pocket. We've done the calculation after we've come back, and we always would have paid more on the dining plan. We simply can't eat the quantities that are included in the dining plan, enjoy table service and trying new restaurants, and don't usually snack. So, not a good value for us.

2. Club level. Again, the math doesn't work out. We can't eat $100+ in snacks and it's not going to take the place of a meal (except maybe breakfast, which still isn't $100). (Also we've managed to stay at deluxes at pretty good discounts, making club level seem even more steep.)

3. I actually LIKE character meals (Garden Grill - underrated!) and buffets (Boma, Tusker House and 1900 Park Fare) but Chef Mickey's is loud, hectic and with second rate food. There are so many better ways to see Mickey and friends.

4. Maybe I'm getting old but the last few times I felt like I was going to get whiplash. Rock and Roll and Everest and even 7DMT more fun! Then again, it's more fun riding with friends and since our kids are too small, DH and I have been living la vida rider switch. Also in this category- Peter Pan. It's a sentimental favorite and I love the nostalgia element but no way am I waiting an hour or more for it, nor am I burning a MK FP for it.

5. We have pretty much all the stores where we live, and I'm not much of a shopper. Eh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter