Most overhyped activities/things...

Service: DF and I don't have kids and sailed just the two of us. It seemed as though we were stereotyped left and right and didn't receive the level of service we had read about on the boards.

What do you mean "stereotyped"? I've cruised with my all adult family and solo and never felt stereotyped in any way, so I'm curious what you mean.

And I'm also not discounting your service experience, but curious as to what wasn't done that you felt wasn't up to the level. I haven't had servers do magic tricks or cut my food, but that's because I (and we as an adult family) didn't have kids. We've still gotten towel animals and chocolates. I know we all have different expectations - and again, I'm not discounting your experience. I just know that a lot of what I read on here is stuff that's geared to the kids, so clearly for all adults it's going to be different.

Another vote on Pirate Night. The fireworks are good... Wouldn't say great. The rest of the night is "eh."

But on a weeklong Disney cruise, I would say that Pirate Night is just about the only thing that didn't meet or exceed by expectations.

Dare I say, the value? We have been on three Disney cruises, the last one 3 summers ago. I always knew I was paying a little more, but I felt (both while making the reservation, and while on the ship) it was worth it. My family would love to cruise again this summer, the Fantasy being the only ship with an intinerary that meets our vacation schedule (and, unfortunately we are locked into a certain week), and the $6000+ price tag is keeping me from pulling the trigger. All of our previous cruises were wonderful, ridiculously wonderful, but $6000 wonderful? That's before the OBC and the cost of getting to FLA. At this point I'm waiting until the PIF date, hoping the prices go down and an oceanview becomes available.

That said, thank you for the affirmation that I can now skip (especially since kids will be 13 and 16) the sail away party and the pirate party. :flower3:

Interesting. I only went to one sail away party (which was on Carnival) and it was basically the same as the rest of the cruise, just more drink waiters. So after that, I avoided it. But I do have a young child and its my first Disney cruise, so maybe I should think about it this cruise. Do they have characters? If so then I guess I cannot avoid it. My 4 year old DD really wants to see the "creatures."

Yes, your DD will see "creatures". It's something everyone should experience once. :rockband:

Yes, your DD will see "creatures". It's something everyone should experience once. :rockband:

After I posted I watched a sail away party video. Definitely something my DD would love, DH would like and I would hate. So I guess we are going. LOL. In all seriousness, I just don't love big crowds and craziness. DH is much more social than I, so he would love it and DD, well she just wants to see the creatures. She keeps forgetting that we are "not going on a Disney cruise until she is 5 and are just going to Florida this year," because she really wants to see Mickey and Minnie. I was trying to surprise her, but I am not sure that is going to work. I probably told her too much about Disney cruises, but I wanted to get her into the idea.

As far as overrated, I have no cruised Disney before so I can't say for certain, but it sounds like the beach cabanas are a bit overrated. I think they look and sound cool, but the price tag is a little too high. Of course so is the price tag for this cruise so I am hoping I don't feel like the cruise itself is overrated.
:(

What do you mean "stereotyped"? I've cruised with my all adult family and solo and never felt stereotyped in any way, so I'm curious what you mean.

And I'm also not discounting your service experience, but curious as to what wasn't done that you felt wasn't up to the level. I haven't had servers do magic tricks or cut my food, but that's because I (and we as an adult family) didn't have kids. We've still gotten towel animals and chocolates. I know we all have different expectations - and again, I'm not discounting your experience. I just know that a lot of what I read on here is stuff that's geared to the kids, so clearly for all adults it's going to be different.

We are a relatively young couple (mid-late 20's), but the both of us could probably pass as late teens-early 20's, and there were several times throughout the cruise where we were treated as such. For example, our server at Palo (who was overall great) kind of scolded us for not finishing our food at dinner because we were already full. It was a really weird interaction and we initially thought it was a joke, but it was clear that he was not joking. I'm sure if we were older, he would not have talked to us in such a tone. Another example, we went to the DVC meeting ready to purchase points were ignored and not taken seriously because of our "young" demeanor. Also, our servers in the MDR's.. well, it was quite the experience to say the least. I don't know if it was because they were an unorganized team or I don't know what, but our service was severely lacking. For example, the first night in the MDR's, our servers kept us there for over 2.5 hours because they kept forgetting about us! We had to get up to ask for a dessert menu. Now, our stateroom host was fabulous and we loved him. It was really the service in the MDR's that was not what we expected.

I'm seeing a recurring theme of wait staff commenting on or scolding about how much you eat. This seems very, very weird. Is this really a thing? The older I get, the more I know my limits and the less willing I am to stress out my digestive system, especially while travelling. I stop eating when I stop. I can't imagine wait staff anywhere giving me a hard time about it.

Also, a recent trip report I read said that basically every one of their MDR meals showed up cold. (This was on the Dream.) Is this something you just have to expect?

I've basically spent the afternoon researching other lines and there's no other itinerary/ship/date combo that will work for us that doesn't have an avalanche of negative reviews, so once again I am recommitted to my DCL cruise is Sept. But this thread is still fascinating, please keep going. :)

I think that keeping in the spirit of the thread, these things are subjective. I for one really enjoyed the Rainforest Room on the Wonder- we spent hours there on Nassau day, and left feeling rejuvenated. MDR food was good, not amazing, but was ideal temperature for us each meal. Palo dinner was fantastic. More than anything, the service was outstanding.

As for overhyped things... I'd say the soda fountains and soft serve, as they were inconvenient to the adult pool area and we didn't utilize them that much.

We have been on one cruise and taking a b2b in August, this time with the kids. First cruise was only 3 days on the Magic, so nothing stood out as over or underrated to us. On one of the b2b cruises, we are doing a FE for the the first time. It seemed like fun, but let me tell you, some of the FE participants I have encountered in some posts seem mighty crazy about certain rules, etc about the exchange. It is not a turn off to me, but I can see where it can be a turn off to others- luckily I am in a group of pretty laid back participants!!

The mosaic bathrooms in Europa on the Fantasy. Those things creeped me out.

For me, the MDR servers/service was overhyped. They were usually attentive and friendly, but dinner always seems very long and our server never knew I "wanted my drink just so." On five cruises, I have been asked my drink order every night. Not they I needed a diet coke waiting for me, it just has never happened. Perhaps since I've never cruised with kids, adults only service is different?

In conjunction with that, we seem to end up with the oddest table mate pairings-- as if no thought went in to it and we were just a leftover twosome. Most of the cruises were just my mom and me (it's been a few years since cruising, but we were in the 18-25 yr/ 48-55yr age ranges). Nothing like having 3 couples of young honeymooners and a mom and daughter around! Or a young couple, a family that didn't speak English at the table, and us all smooshed together. Maybe next year when DH and I cruise, our tablemates will mesh better.

Some things that have been "hyped" on these boards we found to be not for us but others we love. Even with the things we can do without, we still love cruising with DCL.

Meh
Exotic Rasul- never again :scared:
Sail a way party- we prefer our veranda
Shows- We like Villains Tonight but that's about it
Service- We've had excellent service on our Dream cruises and not so good service on the Magic
The Magic (ship)- Way over hyped on these boards IMHO
FE- just can't get into it

We love
The Disney Dream- our favorite ship (so far)
Palo Brunch and dinner
CC- we love everything about it including riding bikes
Service- on the Dream
mixology

I'm seeing a recurring theme of wait staff commenting on or scolding about how much you eat. This seems very, very weird. Is this really a thing? The older I get, the more I know my limits and the less willing I am to stress out my digestive system, especially while travelling. I stop eating when I stop. I can't imagine wait staff anywhere giving me a hard time about it.

Also, a recent trip report I read said that basically every one of their MDR meals showed up cold. (This was on the Dream.) Is this something you just have to expect?

I've basically spent the afternoon researching other lines and there's no other itinerary/ship/date combo that will work for us that doesn't have an avalanche of negative reviews, so once again I am recommitted to my DCL cruise is Sept. But this thread is still fascinating, please keep going. :)

I hope this isn't from my TR. I mean no harm by my TR, only stating our experience.

I hope this isn't from my TR. I mean no harm by my TR, only stating our experience.

Hi there. I think the cold food thing was from yours, yes. (But not ONLY yours, you just seemed to get hit with it at every MDR meal.) The 'scolding for how much you eat' thing seems really common. But I don't believe there is ever any harm in providing real information. :) I'd rather have my expectations adjusted appropriately, and a lot of aspects of the food situation on cruises really confuses me ... I guess because I've never been on one.

4 cruises, 3 boats here.
Last cruise was adults only. Definitely skipped the Sail Away and found a good drink and a better view for that time. Purposely scheduled Remy for Pirate Night. I LOVE how excited other cruisers get, I LOVE seeing them all decked out, but I would rather dress up in heels and pearls instead of pirate gear.
I would not do spa services like massages, I think they are over priced. We loved the Fantasy Rainforest room. Yes it would be a pain if you were there during a crowded time, but we got to use everything we wanted when we wanted and that VIEW!
We have done the Exotic Rasul twice, but hubby said he could skip it next time. But definitely fun for us. Had a Verandah for the first time. We enjoyed it, used it, but we are out and about a lot so could skip it to get on a cruise sooner.
Underrated? The adult areas on the Fantasy. The bars were all amazing, and service was top notch. And we loved the several levels of adult upper decks. And don't forget Meridian tucked in between Palo and Remy. Wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter