• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most cost effective place to stay for family of 5 (youngest is 10)

leeserw

Mouseketeer
I didn't realize that a family of 5 with the youngest over 10 can no longer stay at PORS. I called and was told the new murphy beds are only strong and big enough for a child 9 and under. And I didn't realize that Wilderness Lodge only has rooms for a family of 4.

They didn't tell me that when I reserved a POR AB room (which I am checking into on Sat. night). My youngest is 10. I asked in another thread about the size of the murphy bed and someone posted that her 20 year old son slept on it no problem just recently. Are you sure you can't stay here again?

For another suggestion, how about a family suite at All Star Music? They sleep 6 and have a nice separate queen bedroom for the parents and 2 bathrooms which is nice. There are also new suites at Art of Animation that sleep 6, but I have never stayed there and I think they are more expensive than ASMu. Good luck!

Try for one of the Epcot resorts with a room discount. My grown family of 5 (2 parents, a 29 year old, a 26 year old, and a 17 year old) fit comfortably for a long weekend at the Yacht Club. I'm 5'4 and found the daybed to be fine to sleep in, so a child would not have a problem. With the room discount, it was cheaper than getting an All Star Music Suite or a suite at the AoA, and about the same price as 2 rooms at Pop.

I didn't realize that a family of 5 with the youngest over 10 can no longer stay at PORS. I called and was told the new murphy beds are only strong and big enough for a child 9 and under. And I didn't realize that Wilderness Lodge only has rooms for a family of 4.

The website states that the murphy bed is suggested for a child under the age of nine, but legally you are allowed to have five people plus one under the age of three in AB POR.

The CM gave you the incorrect information; surprise, surprise. ;)

POR AB section - this is still your best choice

2 value rooms you would need connecting - these are not guaranteed
AS Music suites
1-bedroom dvc - rented from member
fw cabins
AoA suites
1 or 2 bedroom dvc - rented from Disney

with the suites or DVC - you can prepare some meals in your rooms/villa - so might be able to save a little that way.

the dvc comes with a washer/dryer - so that might help.

Thanks so much! Glad to know we can still stay at POR. We love it there. I'm going to call back.

Definitely call back!

But you may want to add an air mattress to those things that you pack. The new murphy bed is not huge.

I have a small 14 year old coming to POR, the CM tried telling me that too but I assured her we were aware. She just put a notation on our ressie that she had told us already.

You can also book online without issue if you still have trouble. GL!

My 5' 3", 15 year old, spent 5 night on the Murphy bed in December with no problem at all!

I can't help but wonder how the new beds are going to hold up, if Disney has designed them for small children, and teenagers are using them. I haven't seen them in person, but do they really seem sturdy enough to be used by teenagers time and time again? If they start to show wear and tear fairly quickly I can see Disney going to some sort of age limit on the room.

As others have said, you should have no problem booking POR. I would call back or book online. As far as WL is concerned, unfortunately neither WL nor AKL will accommodate 5 in a standard room (unless there is a child under 3). They are the only deluxes that the occupancy (for a standard room) is 4 + 1 under the age of 3 (rather than 5 + 1 under 3).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter