Mosquitos in Jan/ Feb

Coparm

Mouseketeer
DD8 and I arrive at the Yacht club on Jan 29 th for 7 magical days.

Just wondering what the Mosquitos are like at this time of year? They love my English blood and I spend the Canadian summer doused in bug spray, do I need to be prepared?

DD8 and I arrive at the Yacht club on Jan 29 th for 7 magical days.

Just wondering what the Mosquitos are like at this time of year? They love my English blood and I spend the Canadian summer doused in bug spray, do I need to be prepared?

Nope. Not going to be problem!
There isn't even a mosquito problem in August....I think Disney must be spraying.
I did the Wild Africa Trek in August...through the back areas of Kilimanjaro Safari, they have bug spray available...so I asked one of the guides if I needed it. she said she never uses it and doesn't have a problem. So I skipped it....not one bite!

Thank you, we went in Sep 09 and had no problems. I just react so badly to their bites, I look like the elephant woman, don't want to become a permanent fixture on the safari!!! :rotfl2:

I'm coming up on my 30th trip to WDW since 1983. I have visited in February (often), March, April, September, October and December over the course of that time. Never went in the summer due to the heat and the crowds.

Anyway, I have never, ever seen or even heard a mosquito during any of my trips. Seems odd, basically it was a swamp and there is plenty of water around the place. I think I just wouldn't worry about it at all. I know that they do a lot of insect control naturally by introducing birds and critters that consume Mosquito's for snack food. I don't know if they use chemicals but I don't really care. I'm only there for a short time and not having to swat away those little winged pests is a very good thing. :lovestruc

I also have never seen a mosquito at Disney. I don't think they are allowed. I have been at all different times of the year.

I was impressed by the lack of bugs in the theme parks. Besides the occasional gnat, there really wasn't a problem.

There sure were plenty of hungry birds, though.

We've been to Disney twice in Feb, both times I brought bug spray and never needed it.....it's being removed from the packing list this year ;)

We just got home on Wednesday from 5 days and the only bug I saw was a real spider on the hotel door of the Tower of Terror going into the pre-show room. At first I thought it was a prop, but then he moved!:rotfl:

Continuing what PPs said, when DW and I went to WDW last January, there were absolutely no mosquitos.

Its actually not spray they use, but rather other bugs that eat the human biter bugs. They told us all about it when we took a backstage tour. I found it fascinating.
I did get stung by a sweat bee last fall though. Right at the bridge of my nose too! It hurt and swelled!

DSCN2226.jpg

But I have been going since 1986 and that was the first bad bug encounter I have ever had and I am VERY allergic too.

Awesome, thanks everyone. I hadn't encoutered the problem last time, but wanted to be sure.

Yep, its Disney, mosquitoes are banned, they probably don't have PH on their tickets!!!

We just got back and we didn't see many bugs at all!! I didn't even see any lizards! The biggest threat are the sea gulls!! They are everywhere and are aggressive if you have food!! One stole a churro out of my son's hand! We never have this problem in the warm months- must be too hot for them!

What about other insects, like those lovebugs? When we were there last March, they were all over the place. It was especially bad at AK, and my 2 year old flipped out so badly (sobbing hysterically in fear) that we had to leave early and barely got to do anything).

We're planning our next trip for January, so I hope they're not as bad then.

I didn't see any love bugs last week. They are gross- we were there in September once and they were all over!!

Lovebugs are quite annoying, but at least they don't bite or sting.

We've been there in March, April, May, June, September, and December.
Mosquitoes LOVE DW and she's never been bitten there.

Not doubting the people who have been bothered, but I've never gotten a bite at WDW and I'm usually eaten alive at home.

not banned. My legs got peppered with mosquito bites in EPCOT one night, near the gate to off stage between Germany and Africa. But I can't remember what season that was.

They made a meal of me at Wintersummerland one August but don't seem to be a problem in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter