• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mosquitos in Alaska?

Do you recommend bringing repellant?

Do the bugs think you're tasty? I guess we don't taste very good because we've never had a problem with the mossies.

If you have young kids with very tender skin, then yes, I would use repellant.

The only time we had horrible issues with mosquitoes was while on a quad excursion pre-trip, near Mt. McKinley. We were riding along a river and the air was thick with them, but we were fully covered up.

I don't remember an issue with them while being in port and I've been twice now. This includes a rafting trip in Haines. We've been both in June and August months.

There is no mosquito problem in the cruise ports. However, the inland areas can be brutal. Did the drive from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle- got eaten alive when we stopped at the Yukon River!

We went to the Taku lodge to eat, and instead got eaten.

Hopper: It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those Circle of Life kind of things. Now let me tell you how things are supposed to work: The sun grows the food, the ants pick the food, the grasshoppers eat the food...

Molt: And the birds eat the grasshoppers. Hey, like the one that nearly ate you, you remember? You remem- Oh, you shoulda seen it, okay?
Hopper: Molt!

Molt: This blue jay has him half way down his throat, okay? And Hopper - Hopper's kicking and screaming, okay? And I'm scared, okay, I'm not going anywhere near, okay- Aw, come on! It's a great story.
[Hopper grabs Molt by the antennae]

Molt: Ow! Ow! Ow!

We were not eaten but we only went inland up to Fraser,

We did a private tour in Skagway (June 2012) which included a stop at the Yukon Suspension Bridge and the mosquitos were terrible. As soon as you crossed the bridge we were overcome with them.

Thanks for this question! I had heard of mosquitos in AK; seems they're more inland and not likely to bother you on the boat or in port.

Mosquitos breed in stagnant water. So are not often found right at the coast, since the ocean does not support their breeding, and most rivers/streams in the area are moving.

Once you get a little inland you have slow streams, puddles, lakes, etc which are the preferred breeding grounds.

It all depends on the location, time of year, etc. Years ago we took a trip to the interior in late August and saw first hand why locals joke about the mosquito being the state bird. Two years ago we cruised in late July and had repellant wipes with us at all times, but never used them. Our excursions included whale watching / Mendenhall glacier in Juneau, float plane to Neets Bay out of Ketchikan and a ride up a mountain on 4 x 4's in Skagway. My son and I are usually mosquito magnets, and neither of us received a bite the entire trip. Still, if we go back (oh yeah we will!) I'll still throw a few wipes in the backpack. Better safe than sorry!!

I will bring a small bottle of Avon Skin So Soft original bath oil. Bugs hate that stuff. And, it is not the chemicals that are in bug repellents.

To echo the Taku Lodge comment, we LOVED the excursion. It was fantastic, but the Mosquitos were quite thick. I ate two of them on our hike, much to everyone's amusement while I coughed and sputtered.

It was the only place we noticed them, but they also had industrial sized spray there for you to use.

We cruised mid-June and the only place we dealt with mosquitoes was in Juneau at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. It wasn't terrible but they were out and pretty big. ;) We didn't bring repellent and it really didn't bother us too much, but we are from Florida so we are kinda bug pros.:rotfl:

I would say if you have room in the suitcase bring it and if not... don't worry about it.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter