Mosquito treatment

AcrossthePondNic

Mouseketeer
In 2015 when we were in WDW the mosquitos decided to make me their meal of choice. I'd never really had a problem before but I had some huge swellings come up on my legs. Even repellent didn't seem to keep them away. I asked in the shop at POR if they sold anything for them. They were wonderful. Some staff from the lobby came and had a look and gave me free of charge some dressings, pain relief cream and some little vials / capsules of green liquid that you crunched to release to apply to the wound.

In my experience there are far stronger medicines available over the counter in the US than in the U.K. I can't get anything like that before I go so was wondering if anyone could tell me what it was called. I stupidly didn't save one for reference but it had some sort of antibiotic in it. We can't get antibiotic products over the counter here. Was hoping if I had a name I could pick some up at a pharmacy stateside and use it immediately should a bite appear.

Can anyone tell me what it would have been?

You are very welcome!

We've had that stuff forever...it is a little miracle worker for bee or wasp stings.

What a bummer! I've never had any issues with mosquitos at WDW, and I consider myself lucky. I am usually THE mosquito magnet. Want to go camping and not get bit? Bring me, and that will be all the repellent you'll need!
That said, I ALWAYS have a product called Newskin. It's a liquid bandage, kind of smells like cloves. It works to stop the swelling, itching and desire to scratch. It's water proof as well for a day or two. It has worked wonders for me. It also helps to prevent infections from bites.
http://www.target.com/p/new-skin-an...gclid=CIb5v9TXx9MCFUs9gQodvdIP4A&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can't find anything so effective over here. The cream they also gave me must have been the one that had an antibiotic in it. I remember one of them did. But the sting kill was great. I'm definitely getting some of that as soon as I get there next time.

Thanks Branflakes. I'll look at that too. I've never had a reaction like that before. It was really bad and drew quite a crowd of staff to look at it. I think it must be because we don't really have a mosquito issue over here so we're fresh meat. No resistance I guess. I like the sound of the liquid bandage. I assume it works for any open wound. Another useful thing to pick up.

In 2015 when we were in WDW the mosquitos decided to make me their meal of choice. I'd never really had a problem before but I had some huge swellings come up on my legs. Even repellent didn't seem to keep them away. I asked in the shop at POR if they sold anything for them. They were wonderful. Some staff from the lobby came and had a look and gave me free of charge some dressings, pain relief cream and some little vials / capsules of green liquid that you crunched to release to apply to the wound.

In my experience there are far stronger medicines available over the counter in the US than in the U.K. I can't get anything like that before I go so was wondering if anyone could tell me what it was called. I stupidly didn't save one for reference but it had some sort of antibiotic in it. We can't get antibiotic products over the counter here. Was hoping if I had a name I could pick some up at a pharmacy stateside and use it immediately should a bite appear.

Can anyone tell me what it would have been?
First thing you need to buy when you get here is "OFF" and spray yourself with it, thats the only repellent thats going to work out here...if you dont like insecticides then you can use a dryer sheet, it works just as well..just rub a dryer sheet all over you and it keeps you from getting bitten. ( I live in Houston and we have mosquitos the size of cows lol ) Always carry tablet form non drowsy benedryl and Benedryl lotion with you, you really need an antihistamine in your body as well as topical. The reaction you are getting is because of too much hystamine in your body..I had the same reaction when I moved from the UK to America many years ago. Im betting it was Benedryl capsules they used. If you think you will have trouble getting the "OFF" message me, I would be happy to send you some :)

@pktbMouse thanks. Great advice. I was taking a daily antihistamine for hayfever, it contains cetirizine but I'll look at benedryl instead for over there. Thanks for the kind offer too. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up what we need from a pharmacy or Walmart

We leave on Tuesday and my daughter twice has ended up in the Medic Centre due to swelling with bites, so far I have bought some wipes and contemplating trying the wrist bands but will certainly try the OFF when we get there. One year they reckoned it was yellow fly? And like the OP stay at POFQ and use the boat to Disney Springs where you can see clouds of beasties round the drivers head. We come from Scotland, the land of midgies so we should be used to it

We did find the little sachets for bites they give you at the first aid helped somewhat. I once came home with a huge blister on one bite and the nurse here treated it with a dressing using honey!

I find basil essential oil very effective for treating mosquito bites. My DD gets big welts and this is the only thing that has helped her. Some of the over-the-counter products give temporary relief, but the basil is what seems to work best for us.

Hi @edinburghlass. I was thinking like you that maybe it was because we were on the river. I'm sure the bites happened pretty much the night we arrived. I've been there 3 times but it hadn't happened before. But maybe time of year is a factor too. They were all busy discussing my reaction and one of the CMs said it was probably that we have no resistance built up because we don't really get them over here. I know I've seen the odd mosquito in the UK but they're not the same. Midgies don't bother me at all. So maybe she was right and if the situation were reversed they would react to the midgies over here. Have a wonderful trip and I hope you stay bite free. Where are you staying?

@DisTXMom i haven't heard of using basil oil before. That's good to know. Thanks

The first time my daughter had the bites she had been water ski-ing in the lake, well more in the water than actual ski-ing so they wondered if it was something in the water but last year we went to the quick service Restaurant at GF then walked down to the water to watch Wishes and it was definitely mosquitoes we could see them biting, same with the yellow fly you couldn't swat them away, they clung on until they made sure they had bitten you! We always go in May so possibly not a good time. We are staying at POFQ again, fifth visit, it doesn't put us off. The Avon skin so soft and Tiger Balm is also packed so hopefully this year we will be okay. One good thing about the medic centre is they sell Pepsi for $2 and they will pick you up and return you to your resort, after you've paid your bill that is

Yes we went late April into May. The times before I've been in July and October. They were a while ago, but I don't remember having a problem. I've heard that lemon and eucalyptus work too as a natural repellent. There's lots of really useful tips come through on here. And the Sting Kill looks like what they gave me last time. I'm going to throw everything at them next time I'm there :). Have a wonderful trip

There is some suntan lotions that the bugs around central florida just love.. I remember trying something new on a trip in 2015 because my old one ran out after a couple days.. Seconds after I stepped out of the room it was so crazy that I was back inside trying to shower it off.. never saw another bug after that and bought everything disney had that wasn't the same one. I really wish I saved what it was as disney does sell it and it has a slight baby powder smell to it.

The antibiotic cream was probably Neosporin. You can put it on any cut, scrape, bite, etc. Hydrocortisone cream will take away the itchiness.

Southern US mosquitos are more likely found near any standing water...they lay their eggs in water and the larvae swim around until they become real mosquitos. So yes, probably more frequent near the rivers. Any type of spray with DEET will usually be effective in keeping them off of you. There are a few family friendly ones that don't smell so terrible, and are less greasy than others.

Thanks @DisneyMom74 and @Accident. I'm now adding Neosporin to the list too and won't be buying lotion in the parks just in case

I got the packets of triple antibiotic ointment from REI for first aid kit refills and then keep them stashed in various places (I.e your purse, cars, etc.) technically more expensive per ounce then the tube but I like that I can have them in a few places. Plus slightly smaller then the tubes (but only slightly) still even in my tiny purse I can fit them. You can also get them from Amazon. Oh and a lot of the other first aid supplies (anti itch cream, burn gel, etc) you can get the first aid refills for. I know you can get this at the first aid center in the park but with a kid having a baindaid, antiseptic, and ointment can just save time (especially if you have a child like mine that hates the site of blood!)

I never had a problem with mosquitoes in WDW. But if you stand in the wrong place, like off the path on grass or sand, you can get a few bites from the ants, and they can itch for days.

Hi @edinburghlass. I was thinking like you that maybe it was because we were on the river. I'm sure the bites happened pretty much the night we arrived. I've been there 3 times but it hadn't happened before. But maybe time of year is a factor too. They were all busy discussing my reaction and one of the CMs said it was probably that we have no resistance built up because we don't really get them over here. I know I've seen the odd mosquito in the UK but they're not the same. Midgies don't bother me at all. So maybe she was right and if the situation were reversed they would react to the midgies over here. Have a wonderful trip and I hope you stay bite free. Where are you staying?

@DisTXMom i haven't heard of using basil oil before. That's good to know. Thanks

It's true. You react more to the mosquitoe bites if you have a different species (or none at all) where you normally live. It takes a little while for your body to accilimate. I used to get horrific wheals as a kid from the mosquitoes where I live, but now they don't bug me at all. However, if I travel to an area (like WDW) that has different mosquitoes than back home? Giant red swollen itchy bumps all over, and nothing helps me (I've tried every oral and topical treatment available over the counter). Load up on the bug spray/whatever else you can find to keep the mosquitoes away to begin with. Not getting bitten in the first place is the most effective treatment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter